The forum language

Daeso

Broken In
I think most of the user in this forum are indians,right?but this forum language is english,why english and not the native indians language?im gald is in english because im Romanian and only language i know other then Romanian are english

icebags

Technomancer
Languages of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the language count is kinda huge, even though some have gone extinct / becoming extinct fast, there are still multiple of 100 number of language used everyday.

english is our main official language, that we took from the british era, while hindi is an optional main official language, mostly available in regions where hindi speaker are prominent. and there are a lot people speak hindi, even though the % is <50.

other than that there r 22 officially recognized languages available for official uses (depending on no of speakers, availability of resources & influence etc).

so, it was kinda normal that, we would like to use some such language that can provide a sense of non-biasness towards any specific language speaking community - and there it is, english !!!!! other than that, major advantage is, we can use it nationally as well as internationally, kinda puts us in advantage to catch & communicate with international clients. :)

lastly, in case we visit places where people dont speak either of 3 languages (native/english/hindi) then we use sign language.

all in all it's similar to if u want to use a common language to use in europe.

SunE

Professional Newbie
My friend here in India english is the main official language that's used everywhere. Hindi is our 2nd official language but that is mainly used for verbal communication and not anything more than that on a daily basis. Since we were under the rule of the British for a long time, we have become a native english speaking country. I know it's strange for a lot of Europeans or Americans to see that a person is bilingual but here in India almost everyone is bilingual and majority of the people speak 3-4 languages on average which is a very common thing for us. After all we are a very diverse country.

$hadow

Geek in making
Not everyone can speak,read and write hinglish.
English is what everyone understands easily.

Flash

Lost in speed
I came to this thread thinking that, some new mod started a thread about the "Language etiquette's to use in TDF", but fooled :)

OP
D

Daeso

Broken In
Thanks for the answer and im sorry for my write mistake,in my country english is very popular because most of the movies on tv are from u.s,and indian movies are popular some romanian tv channels broadcast a lot of indian tv series movies like Balika Vadhu and Pavrita Risshta etc

Flash

Lost in speed
No sorries [MENTION=277283]Daeso[/MENTION].
Good to see Romanians like our entertainment.

What do you think of our tv serials? Are our serials exploits the sentiments of families to run for more episodes?

As an outsider, you're the perfect person to answer this question.

InB4
Hindi is not India's national language. - From some south Indian.
Hindi is the Union's Official language of conduct ALONG with English, I believe.
I think I told you that :p (didn't I?)

@OP Welcome aboard; I jelly your Internet (you get 100x speeds for what we pay here, literally)

amjath

Human Spambot
No sorries [MENTION=277283]Daeso[/MENTION].
Good to see Romanians like our entertainment.

What do you think of our tv serials? Are our serials exploits the sentiments of families to run for more episodes?

As an outsider, you're the perfect person to answer this question.

dont talk about hindi soaps as well as tamil soaps, they are horrible

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think most of the user in this forum are indians,right?but this forum language is english,why english and not the native indians language?im gald is in english because im Romanian and only language i know other then Romanian are english
We've got as many languages in India as the whole Europe. :) To prevent infighting among various groups, we carry out our official work in English. Hindi is an optional language as it is spoken and understood by the most number of people in India.

Even Hindi has various dialects. eg, Haryanvi, Garwhali, Bhojpuri etc. Somebody who speaks pure Bhojpuri won't be able to understand somebody talking in pure Haryanvi. So people just switch into "Hindi" to be mutually intelligible.

And in the 21st century, the various dialects of Hindi are only limited to the rural areas. Children in urban areas are only learning the standard "Hindi" and won't be able to talk in the dialects. Although depending on their exposure with older generation of their family (grandparents), they might be able to understand their historic dialect or may be even speak it.

I learned Haryanvi and Hindi simultaneously. I can speak Haryanvi well which is actually a rare thing among urban kids of Delhi (capital of India), if not Haryana. Only because I was exposed to it properly as I lived with my grandparents. My cousins who are infact older than me, can't talk in Haryanvi properly.

Now due to urbanisation people develop a superiority complex and start to "judge" people. Why parents don't talk to urban kids in their native dialect? Because they want the world to see them as "educated". If caught in talking in a Hindi dialect, other people start to think you're from a village or you're uneducated. Sad world we live in.

Then we have small states in North-East India who have their own languages. They don't get much exposed to Hindi, but they learn English pretty well.

In South India, we have 4 big and populated states who speak their own languages. Along the border of these states, people might speak 2 or 3 native languages. Even 4. When South Indians move out of South India, for example, to North India, they end up learning Hindi because their tendency to learn languages is a lot better than North Indians. They don't even have to move to North India to learn Hindi anyway, because Hindi is penetrating pretty much everything these days. In fact, when North Indians move to South India, they don't even try to learn or speak a word of the South Indian languages. For North Indians, "Hindi" is enough. This attitude, I feel is wrong.

A typical Indian kid will learn his mother tongue - a native language at home. He will learn English at school. He might (or might not) learn another native language/dialect according to exposure with friends or his living location. These days some urban parents only talk with their kids in English giving up totally on the native language. So, English is sort of becoming a "popular" "mother tongue" in some urban families. The native language learning of these kids then depends upon exposure.

OP
D

Daeso

Broken In
when i thinking at india 1 picture is in my mind a very crowded train,in my city Bukarest are only 2 milion citizens and i think is crowded but when i saw a documentary about india a thinking again about crowded place,In Romania are 18 milion in 238.391 km².Im sory for offtopic post

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
when i thinking at india 1 picture is in my mind a very crowded train,in my city Bukarest are only 2 milion citizens and i think is crowded but when i saw a documentary about india a thinking again about crowded place,In Romania are 18 milion in 238.391 km².Im sory for offtopic post
Nothing to be sorry about the truth. Our population density is too much. May be more than 3 times as yours but it varies from state to state.

Population needs to be controlled.

Flash

Lost in speed
Adding to ico's point...

wiki said:
The eastern and western coastal regions of Deccan plateau are also densely populated regions of India. The Thar desert in western Rajasthan is one of the most densely populated deserts in the world. The northern and north-eastern states along theHimalayas contain cold arid deserts with fertile valleys. These states have less population density due to indomitable physical barriers.

This is from Mumbai (densely populated):
*www.mumbairoad.com/mumbairail/images/rail%20mumbai.jpg

This is from Darjeeling (least populated):
*www.irfca.org/steam/img/dhr-home.jpg

SunE

Professional Newbie

And when I think about Romania, I picture a guy with one of the fastest internet connections in the world playing Counter strike all day :p

I actually played a lot of CS:CZ and CS 1.6 on Romanian servers.

icebags

Technomancer
I don't like cs,when have 3-4 pc ,3 smarthone in a house 1000 mbit is not that big

lol u use 3-4 pc alone ? 1 for downloading, 1 for mmo, 1 for family and another for self, 1gbps is still a lot, unless u want to download the whole internet may be ? . :eek:

guessing, i once has a dedicated laptop for 24x7 mmo running..... college days..... :mario-run:

Top Bottom