:: The Formula 1 - 2011 Season Thread ::

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Cameras are allowed. No issue. I went today.

Well...just got back. I missed the first practice session (which had the canine incident), and reached when the F3 cars were doing a practice run. Now to put in a summary.

1. My pickup was at Nehru Place metro station. I reached there, and could just see some buses standing. Walking 50m down I saw 2-3 guys in Budh International Circuit (BIC). They told me to board the South Zone bus, irrespective of me being for West zone.
2. Bus moved, and after 45 minutes we crossed into Noida Extension. I think all of UP's police force has been deployed. At the 8km radius cut-off a straight well stretch started into the circuit. Errrrm....the driver missed a cut, and reversed on the expressway.
3. We were dropped off at South Zone. And told to take the shuttle to me respective zone. Here is where the mess started. No one was at the point to tell us which direction to take the shuttle which were zipping past. So for a while a bunch of us stood there. Then we found out the direction, and decided to board a shuttle. It was equivalent to boarding a DTC/Blueline at prime Delhi office time. People chose to hang on the door, reminiscing Bombay locals vs. stepping inside to the coach.
4. The gates were labeled large and clear, though security check was lame. Eatables and liquids were not allowed. Guards were standing.
5. Entered the stands and was shown my seat. F3 cars were racing -- am sure a lot of the crowd assumed this to be the 'thing'. Note: the engine noise was bearable.
6. The circuit broke for lunch. There were stalls which had food commodities but could be procured only using coupons. The coupon line took 30 minutes for acquisition. And then I dropped my chicken sandwich since it was not sealed in the packaging properly. Had a fight with the vendor and was given another one. Heck it costed 200 chips. Everything was extraordinarily priced. Way too high.
7. Moved to the stands...the crowd was chittering and chattering. Suddenly the air started to reverberate with engine sound. Boy was it loud. I was sitting so the north stand was in front of me -- so the start/pits stops were hidden. The rev up had begun. Suddenly one car shot off (I think the Williams) and made its way around the ~5.4 kms of F1 grid. Oh....man. That is one feeling/image/sound I will never forget in my life. I think my ticket price was redeemed there and then.....! And the rest 23 engines were unleashed, and hell fell upon the spectators. Everyone was dead quite and the cars started to circle around. Gosh...when they down-shifted the sound is so grainy and rough..and then they would speed up. Immediately I realized why F1 is eeef-one. Extreme conditions coupled with high grade scientific research -- the output was apparent and appalling and shocking but pleasant.

After a while it was easy to deduce that drivers were experimenting with the circuit. At times they would down gear on turns....or break after the turn or not slow at down. 3 sessions for heavy data collection. Practice 2 was stopped 2x. Once cause of an accident and once to let the teams re-think. Most moved to hard-compound rubber. The track ambient was 39C. After around 30 minutes of the blitzkrieg my ears started to tingle, and I used ear plugs for a while.

Overall it was an amazing experience, and worth the effort.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
^^^ Nice to read your experience. Few queries:

1) We are planning to leave from Gurgaon to BIC on sunday. What time should we leave considering the traffic jams and all? How is the new Yamuna Expressway?

2) Do they have xray machines at the security check? Because I need to carry my 100-400mm lens which is quite big. And the ticket says professional cameras are not allowed.

3) What time will the race start and end on Sunday?

By the way there is a nice spectator guide given here :

*cnt.in.bookmyshow.com/in/sports/f1/Spectator-Guide-for-Buddh-international-circuit-2011-2.pdf

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I would buffer in at least 4 hours to get from GGN to BIC. You will have to traverse a lot of Delhi. The final race is scheduled to start at 15 :00. You can refer to the link below for changes...race run time and ceremony should be ~3 hours.

Formula 1â„¢ - The Official F1â„¢ Website

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Vettel as usual got pole position. The dust really seemed to cause problems :(

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why do stalls at F1 race make sure, only the rich can enjoy the luxuries!
Rs. 1000 for a T-Shirt marked with, "Ferrari" on day 1. And the same T-Shirt for Rs. 2500 on day 2. :shock:

Krow

Crowman
Let's face it. F1 is for the elite and only the elite.

All the Indian drivers are from very well-to-do families. Motorsport is not cheap at all.

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
mods why did you rename this thread to the 2011 season only. Why not football channel get same treatment or admin posting there has kept it running?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
because we have had season-wise threads for F1. :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/52566-formula-1-2007-season-thread.html

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/80679-formula-1-2008-season-thread.html

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/111451-formula-1-2009-season-thread.html

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/125023-formula-1-2010-season-thread.html (fail thread lol)

Only continuing with the pattern.

As far as football is concerned, it never *stops* in a year. Same for Cricket. IPL stops. F1 stops. :)

In any case, this season is well and truly over. You are most welcomed to start a new thread for 2012.

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
OK ico. Thanks for clarifying :)

Half an hour till the Raceday program in Star Sports starts. Really excited now :D

Hope we have a winner other than Vetter :wink:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
digit have shared nice pics of the event on 28th Oct.
Buongiorno, Formula 1! Digit's day at the Buddh International Circuit

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Apart from Massa's dismissal I didn't found anything too interesting. I mean winning of Vettel was most expected. I was expecting some "real unexpected". :(

azzu

AJJU
Apart from Massa's dismissal I didn't found anything too interesting. I mean winning of Vettel was most expected. I was expecting some "real unexpected". :(

It was much much more interesting than many other races ( read Valencia)..

Jenson as usual 2nd with seb winning..

schumi (5th) and narain (17) wud b much much more satisfied ...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Ok...just got back today from the BIC. :)

Thing were much better organized today. I guess they picked up some tips and tricks after the fiasco past two days. From the pick-up points each zone bus left periodically and left people at their respective gates. So we did not have to face the mercy and rowdiness of the shuttle fleet within the inner radial of the circuit. Coupons for H20 and beverages were separated from the food -- quite obvious that the prior will be consumed more. I reached around 12'esh and the JK series were starting. Decent 125cc cars which packed a decent punch. The stands were quite empty till now. At 1 : 30 PM there was a 'drivers parade' where each driver was driven around the circuit in a vintage car. There was a minute of silence for two drivers who died in the past weeks. Moto GP and Indy car. After that our National Anthem. All stood up respectively. This was quite nice. At 2 : 30 PM the circuit was thrown open for the cars to warm up and pit movement was voluntary. The first Lotus car zipped by and all the people in the stands stood up. After that at 3 : 00 PM there was the warm up lap with the governance of the pace car. I think this is probably the only moment when all 24 moved in pole formation. The sound was awesome and the crowd went ....berserk. Most people really do not know how much power these cars possess, but were slammed in the face with the roar and hum of engines screaming. Post that the race started and 60 laps of controlled mayhem + BHP were blasted in the circuit. It literally felt like BIC was screaming. There were quite a lot of close hits. I think the Sabeur was out in the beginning laps. Some cars also touched each other. The usual. They decided to move to hard compound rubber as they had started with soft (yellow stripes) initially. There had been talks that Pirelli will play safe with lower speed soft compound since they do not have enough data regarding BIC as of now. It was fun watching the 3 second pits.

As we all know Vettel grabbed the finish first and was given the honors by Lady M.

Some things which I noticed. Security within the stands was quite lax. People were "sneaking in" water bottles and food items. I just imagined if someone hurled a bottle on the track. It can really be bad. Some spectators chose to stand on the plastic chairs. I really found this lame and cheap. Selfish at the same time. The guard would whistle at them, and they would step down and promptly be up again. 99% of the females knew nothing about what was happening. Probably only that 4 wheels are moving really really fast with a ton of noise....!

The buses dropped us back, and there was a massive traffic jam. Took 2.5 hours to reach Nehru Place. This time of the session is also quite hot for outdoor events. If Moto GP happens anytime before November 2012 I will give it the wide berth.

Overall, an experience one should try out -- at least once in their lifetime. Will I go next time. (?). Na....too much traffic issues and way to dusty and hot. But JP have pulled it off successfully. Kudos. And errm....Bravo.....!

:)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@asingh: Nice! Thanks for your sharing your experience. So I am guessing pics were not allowed to be taken!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
They were. All types of photography equipment were allowed. I took some lame ones from a point and shoot. Not worth sharing.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Don't know where to share this, so here!
Got a T-Shirt from BIC, even though I wasn't able to go there!! :-D :bananana:

Pic:
*i.imgur.com/Wz33Q.jpg