:: The Formula 1 - 2007 Season Thread ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
FIA moves to close spying affair

The FIA is looking to put an end to F1's spying affair after expressing its intention to cancel next year's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council.

Earlier this month, the governing body did not clear McLaren's 2008 car and deferred a decision to February's meeting of the WMSC.

However, on Thursday McLaren apologised to the FIA and Ferrari, and accepted the Italian team's data had penetrated deeper into their team than suspected at first.

And in light of an inspection of their 2008 car by FIA appointed officials throwing up the suggestions that the deployment of quickshift, fast fill, or the use of CO2 as a tyre gas could have come from the Ferrari information, McLaren have offered to hold back on developing these systems.

*www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64373

report by the FIA Technical Department [pdf file]

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@s18000rpm : This is good news. I think McLaren car will have the great great performance of 2006 season's car if all the development based on Ferrari info is stopped and removed from the car :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
FIA: McLaren planned to use Ferrari data

McLaren were poised to use systems on their 2008 car that had been inspired by secret Ferrari information given to them by Nigel Stepney, the FIA's technical report on the matter reveals.

It added: "The [redacted - confidential] mechanism which McLaren has developed since the 3 May 2007 Coughlan meeting is intended to be used on the 2008 car and appears to have been initiated by the receipt of confidential Ferrari information."

Detailed examination of the report shows that one area where McLaren had appeared to utilise the Ferrari information was in the creation of a new brake balance system. ...

...The report also states that McLaren were ready to consider the use of CO2 gas in their tyres, as Ferrari do. It is believed 'more likely than not' that the idea came to the team from information given by Nigel Stepney.

read full story here - *www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64374

==================

Kovalainen confirmed at McLaren

Heikki Kovalainen has been confirmed as Lewis Hamilton's new teammate at McLaren for next year.

The Finn joins the Woking-based outfit on a long-term deal after an impressive debut season with Renault, and McLaren management are convinced that he and Hamilton will make a 'formidable' combination for 2008.

The team have also confirmed that Pedro de la Rosa will remain as third driver, with Gary Paffett staying on board as tester.

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said: "We had a number of options open to us and as always we want to make sure that we have the most competitive driver line-up and I think that Lewis and Heikki will be a formidable combination....

*www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64384

Lets see, where "The Noob Squad" goes now :))

Why i called McLaren as "The Noob Squad" -
Noob Squad leader - Ron Dennis - lost both titles, because he cudnt manage his team well enuf.
Hamilton - he is a Noob :p, coz he lost the title, thanks to his over-confidence in later half of the season.
Kovalainen - he too is a newbie (noob), kicked out of his team for no reason :)) loOool

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
-=--=-=-=-=-=--=

Schumacher baffled by taxi inquest

Michael Schumacher says he is baffled by reports in Germany that police are investigating whether he broke the law when he recently drove a taxi to an airport.

But a report in German newspaper Bild today said that police were now looking into the matter to investigate whether Schumacher broke the law, while the taxi driver Tuncer Yilmax is also facing questioning about his involvement in the matter.

Kai Holland, deputy director of Coburg's traffic authority, told Bild: "That was an offence against transport laws. We will have a hearing with the taxi driver to resolve the matter."

Schumacher has laughed off the story, however, and thinks the whole affair has been blown out of all proportion.

"I was brought by taxi here," smiled Schumacher on Saturday, speaking at a press conference ahead of his appearance in tomorrow night's Race of Champions at Wembley.

"It is an interesting thing, if i remember all my years in professional motorsport and all the things I have done, that to make out of a flea an even bigger elephant than it is now, it is pretty impressive to see that. You just have to laugh about it..."
*www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/64396

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Hitboxx said:
Very nice,saw the race, GREAT GOING NARAIN :)
yes man .. good that he finally got it.

btw any highlights or full race link to watch? :D

First win for A1 Team India

Sunday, December 16, 2007
*i2.tinypic.com/6y35ueh.jpg
A1 Team India’s Narain Karthikeyan paid tribute to his superb pit crew taking his and the team’s first-ever A1GP race win in an incident-packed Feature race at Zhuhai International Circuit in China.

Karthikeyan was joined on the podium by New Zealand’s Jonny Reid, who started from tenth on the grid, and South Africa’s Adrian Zaugg, who finished third.

The 30-year-old Indian driver, who started from third on the grid, took the lead from New Zealand during the second pit stop window on lap 29. Despite a huge amount of pressure and some excellent racing from Reid, Karthikeyan held off the New Zealander’s Black Beauty racecar and crossed the line to score India’s first A1GP success.

After the race, a delighted Karthikeyan said: ‘The team has been working really hard at pit stop practices and they’ve done a really good job this weekend. Both the pit stops were excellent. Unfortunately I got stuck behind Pakistan on the out lap of my second stop, so I couldn’t push, but I came out just ahead of Jonny. There was a lot of pressure towards the end but then his tyres went off as well as mine and then we were equal - after that I just got the job done.’

Reid, who raced from tenth on the grid to finish a superb second, was delighted with New Zealand’s teamwork this weekend: ‘It was a fantastic team effort. Having struggled in qualifying, obviously I’m very pleased to come from P10 on the grid to threaten for the win in the end. It’s a credit to the team. My in laps were good, my out laps were good, and there were a few mistakes from my side of the fence, so overall I’m very pleased with the whole team this weekend. Fantastic effort.’

South Africa’s Zaugg also enjoyed a strong race to take the final podium position, having started from ninth on the grid. Zaugg was under attack from Germany’s Michael Ammermüller during the last ten laps of the 45-lap race, but the 21-year-old South African pushed hard to take third place ahead of the German rookie, who had to be content with fourth.

Zaugg was pleasantly shocked by his team’s podium finish and enjoyed some competitive racing: ‘I was quite surprised that we had the pace to finish on the podium. We were quite strong from the beginning of the race and passed quite a few people. Great Britain was one of them. He (Oliver Jarvis) made a slight mistake into the penultimate turn, so I got a good run down the straight and passed him into the last turn. It was really good racing.’

Fifth place was taken by Great Britain’s Oliver Jarvis, who got away well from second on the grid and snatched the early lead from pole-sitter Switzerland. Behind them Brazil, Ireland, Canada and Malaysia were all involved in an incident at turn one, bringing out the safety car for four laps.

Fast work in the pits during the first pit stop window allowed Switzerland to steal the lead, while GBR fell back to sixth place due to a problematic visit to the pits.

Having enjoyed an early lead, the British and Swiss teams were both hampered with delays in their second pit stops due to technical issues, and ultimately finished in fifth and sixth positions respectively. Despite a disappointing finish, GBR’s Jarvis was clearly pushing hard, picking up a bonus point for setting the fastest lap in the Feature race on lap 29.

France, which finished the race seventh, was hit with a drive through penalty on lap 16 due to releasing Loic Duval’s car unsafely from its first pit stop. As Duval drove past the USA pit box, he caught the hose connected to one of the airguns, causing a USA mechanic to be pulled to the ground.

Tomas Enge, making his A1GP race return for the Czech Republic after an absence of ten months, had a superb afternoon, racing from 16th on the grid to finish a solid eighth.

Home nation China’s CongFu Cheng, who was running in sixth place on lap 31 after the second round of pit stops, fell down the order to tenth after taking a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane. The Chinese star was determined not to give up, charging past USA with five laps remaining and finally crossing the line in ninth place, picking up two valuable championship points and moving the team up one position in the overall championship standings.

Netherland’s Jeroen Bleekemolen was forced out of the action on lap nine due to a puncture caused by suspected suspension failure at the final corner, while 12th-placed Portugal received a drive-through penalty on lap five for making a false start.

Switzerland has extended its championship lead to 79 points, 19 ahead of second-placed France on 60, closely followed by New Zealand in third place on 59 points.

The championship now takes a five-week break before heading to New Zealand for round five in Taupo, marking the first race of the New Year on January 18-20 2008.

Until then, stay with A1GP.com for all the championship news and latest developments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom