The Evil Within (Project Zwei by Bethesda)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Bethesda has announced The Evil Within, formerly known by its codename "Project Zwei" is a new game by Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks.

*gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/the-evil-dead.jpg

According to Mikami :

“We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within. My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.”

Description and trailer here

Trailer not out on Youtube yet.

Story seems pretty cliched though :

“When Detective Sebastian and his partner rush to the scene of a gruesome mass murder, a mysterious, powerful force is lying in wait for them. Witnessing the killing of fellow police officers one after another, Sebastian is then attacked and loses consciousness. Waking up in a land where monsters are wandering about, Sebastian has to fight his way through a world of death and its close friend madness in order to understand what’s going on. Sebastian has to face his fears in order to survive on a journey to discover what lies in the shadows of that mysterious force.”

Some key features of the game :

Key Features
* A Return to Pure Survival Horror: From the father of the survival horror genre, Shinji Mikami. He appears once again as the director of this game, one which makes your blood run cold, but heats you right back up. Players must survive on limited resources, experiencing that supreme match of action and horror, that indescribable terror. To survive in an afflicted world, your anxiety and nerves will be pushed to the edge.

*Brutal Traps and Enemies with Puzzles: While struggling to survive, you’ll have to face indescribable terror, cruel traps, and sly mechanisms. Players can die in a trap all too easily, however, at times they can turn them against enemies.

*In an Unstable World, Not All Horrors are in Plain Sight: The player is driven into a corner as the world distorts and warps according to mysterious and evil horrors. The scenery: hallways, walls, doors, rooms, buildings, and even nature, all transforming in real time based on the player’s actions. And the threats keep coming from all directions.

*A Supernova of Horror: By setting one foot in this world weaved from lush backdrops, characters with personality, and a polished story, players will be sucked in, willing or unwilling, tension and anxiety rapidly mounting. When that fear is smashed and conquered, you can experience the bliss that can only be found in The Evil Within.

And....it runs on Id Tech 5

Some concept art :

*i.imgur.com/91dPGDU.jpg

*www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/54809/The_Evil_Within_54809.jpg

*www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s54809/The_Evil_Within_13663870414748.jpg

OP will be updated as more details come up.

References :
*gamingbolt.com/bethesdas-the-evil-within-features-detailed-will-be-running-on-id-tech-5

Last edited:

heidi2521

Padawan
Incase anyone is confused, I would like to point out that this is published by Bethesda Softworks and has nothing to do with Bethesda Game Studios, the makers of Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls other than being owned by the same parent corporation.

I want to see some actual gameplay before i become excited for this.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The studio is tango gameworks.

The Evil Within announced by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami - GameSpot.com

Watch the trailer below:

*www.shacknews.com/article/78810/the-evil-within-creepy-trailer-reveals-shinji-mikamis-zwei

Its creepy.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
isn't this the same one

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/gamerz/156112-zwei-bethesda-softworks-survival-horror.html

heidi2521

Padawan
Screens(lots of them):

*i.imgur.com/p2qmGUz.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wCEJ4hC.jpg
*i.imgur.com/8BwBQOX.jpg
*i.imgur.com/n5kvps3.jpg
*i.imgur.com/EpzuUHa.jpg
*i.imgur.com/4mrjRro.jpg
*i.imgur.com/MQ38Upr.jpg
*i.imgur.com/rTj2dq8.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wKfWP2P.jpg
*i.imgur.com/doNKHci.jpg
*i.imgur.com/zyEaAjk.jpg
*i.imgur.com/WkeEM3n.jpg
*i.imgur.com/g2D4bWl.jpg

Either this is using a brand new engine or is using id Tech 5. Doesn't look like Gamebryo(the other Zenimax engine) to me.

heidi2521

Padawan
Info from the Japanese press release

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

NeoGAF - View Single Post - The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

Called it on id Tech 5 :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Great to know that this game is going to use id tech 5. This is the same engine that powered Rage and the upcoming doom 4 on next gen consoles and pc.
The specialty of id tech is that they don't use directx api's but open-gl. I was very impressed by the visuals that Rage brought and after looking at this game's screenies,
it can be safely said that its going to look spectacular, especially on pc.

The screenshots are disturbing and i have a feeling that the developers have nailed it, i.e developed a much needed true survival horror experience.
I love Japanese horror, especially fatal frame series. One can safely say that this game will break some new grounds in survival horror.

gameranand

Living to Play
Great to know that this game is going to use id tech 5. This is the same engine that powered Rage and the upcoming doom 4 on next gen consoles and pc.
The specialty of id tech is that they don't use directx api's but open-gl. I was very impressed by the visuals that Rage brought and after looking at this game's screenies,
it can be safely said that its going to look spectacular, especially on pc.

The screenshots are disturbing and i have a feeling that the developers have nailed it, i.e developed a much needed true survival horror experience.
I love Japanese horror, especially fatal frame series. One can safely say that this game will break some new grounds in survival horror.

I second that, though the textures of Rage dissapointed me a bit.

You asked a question, this was my response. But then you edited and the question got lost.

Yeah. I read the post again and saw that Developer name was mentioned so I edited that post. :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Tango Gameworks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shinji Mikami is the original creator of Resident Evil. Tango Gameworks is his new studio and this is their first title.
Rest assured, its going to be awesome. Very few Japanese titles fail.:)

gameranand

Living to Play
Tango Gameworks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shinji Mikami is the original creator of Resident Evil. Tango Gameworks is his new studio and this is their first title.
Rest assured, its going to be awesome. Very few Japanese titles fail.:)

Yeah specially the Horror ones. RE gone and this game is the replacement. :D:D

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
This game is confirmed to be releasing on next-gen consoles:

The Evil Within (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No wii-u though.:-o Next xbox isn't mentioned because it hasn't been officially revealed. It will be added in that list as soon as its unveiled. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom