The entry-level DSLR battle

sujoyp

Grand Master
aadi ...its like more choice is more confusion...tell ur friend to hold all 3 in his hand and select...they say nikon have best grip,canon have simplest user interface and sony have best live view :)

clickclick

Journeyman
Because canon 1100D is very basic DSLR..but it does not mean that you should not buy it...But if budget is around 30 K there are better options..

if budget is around 20K and you want DSLR then canon 1100d will be a good choice..

at the end better lens is more important than camera body..and better skills are more important than both...

+1 :p

canon 1100D have poor ISO performance....1100D is not much popular....in that segment Nikon D3100 is much popular(I have that)

Nikon D3100 does not have an AF motor, old lenses without AF are compatible no doubt but whats the point? and the nikon lenses are expensive than that of canon.

canon 550D + 18-55 mm kit lens + 50 mm 1.8

Fast accurate autofocus in various lighting conditions : depends more on lens i think
Good low-light/High ISO performance : will need expensive lens or prime lens or high end DSLR for high ISO performance
Fast operation - shot-to-shot times should be as low as possible : Why require this function...will require canon 7 D :p
Good auto mode - JPEGs out of the camera should be good without post processing : why buy expensive DSLR if you want auto mode only and that also jpeg...
HDR, panorama features good to have. : dont think low end DSLR have default hdr and panorama ..

+1 :p

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nikon D3100 does not have an AF motor, old lenses without AF are compatible no doubt but whats the point? and the nikon lenses are expensive than that of canon.

This is very stupid issue ....canon have changed there total mount (the socket where lens are fit) soo they produced all autofocus lenses after wards which is a bigger crime.....nikon just continued with old mount and now produces only AFS lenses soo u guys are making nikon the villen....but actually its nikons customer support that they are still supporting old lenses :) ....

In any case when you buy 18-55,55-200,35mm,55-300,70-300, new 50mm and most new lenses u will get motor inside...

I would say check this -> Nikon F-mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
almost all VR lenses are AFS also :)

and the concept that canon lenses are cheap just changed last month when canon increased the price of lenses by 20-30%

clickclick

Journeyman
This is very stupid issue ....canon have changed there total mount (the socket where lens are fit) soo they produced all autofocus lenses after wards which is a bigger crime.....nikon just continued with old mount and now produces only AFS lenses soo u guys are making nikon the villen....but actually its nikons customer support that they are still supporting old lenses :) ....

In any case when you buy 18-55,55-200,35mm,55-300,70-300, new 50mm and most new lenses u will get motor inside...

I would say check this -> Nikon F-mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
almost all VR lenses are AFS also :)

and the concept that canon lenses are cheap just changed last month when canon increased the price of lenses by 20-30%

Even after increasing the prices the lenses are still cheaper than nikon :p

Its not that after changing the mount canon is not providing customer support or service for the old lenses. Its the duty of all the brands/companies to provide service to the customers even for the archived (discontinued) products. Kodak has totally stopped manufacturing camera s, but they do provide service and support to the customers who have their products.

If u are here to help someone make a choice, clear all the pros and cons of the product of whichever brand and just dont praise what u own :p And accept nikon D3100 has flaws, all the cameras of all the brands have flaws, there is no perfect camera.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thats not true...canon lenses of old mount are not compatible with new canon lenses....and canon EFS (DX) lenses can not be mounted on a full frame DSLR :D
nikon DX lenses can be mounted on any DSLR :D

I am really curious which lens is cheaper in canon except 50mm 1.8

Canon 18-55 is costlier then nikon one
canon 70-300IS is costlier then nikon one
canon 55-250 cant be compared to nikon 55-300 coz nikon 55-200 is cheaper too
canon 300 f4 is costly then nikon one
canon 70-200 f4 IS is costlier then nikon one

I really want to know guys...enlighten me :D

If u think I am praising my D3100 then I am sorry abt that but I will not approve 1100D either ;)

mastervk

In the zone
@sujoy
Does nikon dx lens works on fx camera without any lens modification and risk of damage? I understand vignetteing will be issue still.
Is nikon 55 250 much better than canon counterpart.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Yeah, all dx lens are compatible with fx cameras...

Even you can use old lenses from late 70's... but with some lack of features like metering, focus etc...

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes all nikon DX lenses can be used on FX DSLRs and in D700,D600 and D800 have DX modes where u wont have those vigneting also :)

and as nac said the very old lens can be used as manual lenses its useful specially in wide angle and macro things where u dont need autofocus.
I have a 1980's made macro lens the supersharp nikkor 55mm AIS micro ...and it works great on my D3100
In cameras like all FX and D300,D200 D7000 these AIS and AI lenses give proper metering and focus confirmation too :)

abt nikon 55-200/300 vs canon 55-250 there is not much difference in both...they r just consumer lens...

blackpearl

The Devil
Sony entry level SLRs have horrible noise/Low light performance. Tried one in a store, the noise is just too much.

Stick with either Canon or Nikon. These two companies do only one thing - make cameras - and they do it good. Sony is jack of all trades, master of non.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Incinerator, That's a great deal...

Blackpearl, Perhaps, sony's low light performance is not on par with Nikon or Canon peers but you get a lot of things which neither Nikon nor Canon offers.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac I am sure u are talking about sensor shift stabilisation...which is good for all older lenses :)

2nd may be high FPS...but there are some issues with that..some slowing down

what else are advantage...dont count panorama effect and other modes please :)

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
Sony entry level SLRs have horrible noise/Low light performance. Tried one in a store, the noise is just too much.

Stick with either Canon or Nikon. These two companies do only one thing - make cameras - and they do it good. Sony is jack of all trades, master of non.

There are many great companies in the world who make different things and make many of those well.
So, that would be a bad reason to discard Sony.

About the high-ISO noise, as per the reviews, high ISO performance is very good.
Also, it depends mainly on the sensor..and Sony is renowned for making very high quality sensors which are used by many other manufactures as well.
So, yes, I find your assessment surprising but I do thank your for opining

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sony have 2 genuine problem...1st is it have too much noise suppression which makes high ISO pic loose lots of details .....2ndly they have not optimised there sensor like nikon did to the same sensors

clickclick

Journeyman
Is this a must for DSLR/P&S users?

JJC 3 in 1 Cleaning Kit CL-3D with Lens Cleaning Pen + Free Shipping | eBay

Is this important to protect the DSLR lens?

HOYA HMC U/V FILTER 58 mm FOR CANON 18-55 VR LENS AND ALL OTHER LENSES WITH 52mm | eBay

blackpearl

The Devil
There are many great companies in the world who make different things and make many of those well.
So, that would be a bad reason to discard Sony.

About the high-ISO noise, as per the reviews, high ISO performance is very good.
Also, it depends mainly on the sensor..and Sony is renowned for making very high quality sensors which are used by many other manufactures as well.
So, yes, I find your assessment surprising but I do thank your for opining

I don't know where you read about high ISO performance on Sony DSLRs, maybe the high end, but the entry levels are never. Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource! is a good site where you can compare image quality of various cameras at different settings.

Regarding that comment about Sony, IMO, Sony products come with a premium price tag without the premium quality. Other companies make better or comparable products at much less price.

Raja Manuel said:
I am not sure about Nikon, but I am very sure that Canon do more than just make cameras.

Right. Forgot Canon printers. Anything else they make?

Is this a must for DSLR/P&S users?

JJC 3 in 1 Cleaning Kit CL-3D with Lens Cleaning Pen + Free Shipping | eBay

Is this important to protect the DSLR lens?

HOYA HMC U/V FILTER 58 mm FOR CANON 18-55 VR LENS AND ALL OTHER LENSES WITH 52mm | eBay

I have a question on the Lenspen too. Is it really great, as opposed to dusting or using cleaning cloth?

The UV filter is important. It will protect your lenses from dust (which can cause scratches).

sujoyp

Grand Master
I use lens pen and its really great....it have 2 heads...one for dust and other only for lens glass...the lens glass gets very clean...no marks at all

No you dont need any filter to protect ur lens glass...just keep the lens cap in pocket and put it as soon as ur shoot is over...even for 10-15 mins

Poor quality UV filter degrade the quality of picture...its not worth.

Top Bottom