The Big Bang Theory, in all seriousness!

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin

I usually explain better in person, but let's try in text...

If you lived in a one dimensional world. Everything would be a point, and either in front or behind you. There's no left or right, just forward and backward. The whole world would be a line, and nothing more.

Now imagine a two dimensional world, there's forward, back, left and right, but no up and down. Everything you see or perceive is either a line or a dot, no curves, no third dimension. The world would be like flatland, as [MENTION=171297]snap[/MENTION] pointed to.

Now imagine yourself as a 2 dimensional being, and take the following example:

On paper, draw a right-angle triangle ABC where AB = 3cm BC = 4cm, so whats the shortest distance between point A and C in two dimensional space? SqRoot of 3^2 + 4^2? = sqrt of 9+16 = sqrt of 25 = 5 cm?

Now think like a 3 dimensional being interacting with the 2 dimensional paper. Whats the shortest distance in your 3 dimensional world between A and C?

Zero

How?

Fold the paper so that A and C touch.

However, if you were a 2 dimensional being, living on the 2 dimensional paper, the shortest distance would still be 5 cm, and you wouldn't be able to perceive the folding across the 3rd dimension. If anything, you would see some matter or energy from point A appear in point C – magically.

Say, the distances weren't cm but light years, and you observed light from point A reached point C almost instantaneously. Thus, light was travelling faster than the speed of light, and your whole world would seem upside down! Laws of physics of your 2 dimensional world were being broken and you would wonder at things such as dark energy or try and find explanations such as higher dimensions...

The fact that the universe expanded (matter moved) at faster than the speed of light perhaps hints at more dimensions than we can perceive in our 4 dimensional world (space-time is 4 dimensional).

I hope that made some sense :)

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Sheldon: One of my favourite places to visit is the two-dimensional world described in Edwin Abbott’s mathematical fantasy, Flatland.

Raj: I don’t want to go to Flatland.

Sheldon: You’re only saying that because you haven’t been there. I am now a hexagon in two-dimensional space and can only perceive the edges of other objects.

Raj: Oy.

Sheldon: Is that you, Raj? I don’t recognize your edge.

Raj: Sheldon, I’m begging you. I want to go to this mixer, and I don’t want to go alone.

Sheldon: Well, you’re in luck, there’s a mixer here in Flatland. Oh, look, there’s a sexually attractive line segment, you should chat her up.

Raj: What?

Sheldon: Tell her you’re a circle, Flatland gals are all hot for circles.

^Explain Negative energy

Energy that has exact properties than normal energy
Like there will be cold wave instead of heat wave
Now 0 kelvin is obtained by positive energy by cancelling the vibrations by counter vibrations (heat is vibrating particles)
Visual explanation-
Normal wave+counter wave
Code:
_-_- _-_- _-_- _-_-
               +
- _-_- _-_- _-_- _-_
               =
------------------

Normal(positive) energy+negative energy
Code:
_-_- _-_- _-_- _-_-
               +
_-_- _-_- _-_- _-_-
               =
------------------

Hope now you'll understand better

Last edited by a moderator:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Everything is already hypothesised in the form of riddles in the Vedas."

What "bragging rights" dear Esteemed Profs(?)
while we are only on a need to know basis.

Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them
... Will they not then believe?
-- Al-Quran [21: 30]

And it is We who have built the universe with Our power; and it is We who are steadily expanding it.
-- Al-Quran [51: 47]

Haji M Zin
Melaka WHC

This comment made me chuckle. :lol:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very interesting, but it isn't going to stop the human species wiping out all life on earth before the end of this millennium, if not this century. Then all this wonderfully sublime theorising and research becomes slightly irrelevant.
some funny comments in those articles. :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
*www.newscientist.com/article/dn252...physics-beyond-the-big-bang.html#.UzRkQFzQ6O4
But there are a few wrinkles, including the fact that hints of the waves seem much more pronounced than they should be, according to previous observations of the early universe. Resolving the discrepancies – perhaps using results due out later this year from the Planck space telescope – might give a glimpse of physics from before the big bang. Or it might mean inflation is out, and that we actually have the first whiff of evidence for string theory.
Picture the cosmos as a rolled-up piece of paper held in place with rubber bands, says Robert Brandenberger at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, who was part of a team that came up with the model in 1989.

The paper is a nine-dimensional universe, and the rubber bands are vibrating strings. If two strings meet, their edges can form a single, twisted loop. That would release three dimensions of space and one of time, which can then swell to the scales we see in the universe today. This process can account for the tiny density variations seen in the CMB and strong gravitational waves – no inflation required.

This thread was featured in the magzine!
Dont know that it usually happens or not but still i'm happy
But the only thing is that my post was just missed because of its lengthiness

And why is the threaded dying from time to time?
Let's continue the discussion! Come on guys!!!

Here you go
Was having problems with data so late reply
Its the april issue
uploadfromtaptalk1398052509897.jpg
Ps- my camera's top portion is gone so it out of focus (dropped phone from hand)
But u can still identify raaabo

Top Bottom