The big air cooling investigation

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
it it can be done and we set 212 with 2 fans one fan will face NB cooler and other one will face th Top vent - so NB will reamin cool and hot air from cpu cooler will go out quickly using the top vent and it will left a little bit more space on top side so I'll be able to add 120mm on top - but the big question is can we fix the cooler like Hyper 212 horizontally on AMD mobos ???? I've tried but it was not possible though I've placed the cooler horizontally with previous Intel rig ;-)

yeah 2 fans is also nice option.
if you take the case of evo, i did it.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Adding more Fans helps but as the fan increases so does the noise level.Having very low tolerance for noise i had prefer not more than 2 fans at any time.

Does the article reflect anything on the size of the fan ?

Is it better having 1 big sized fan with lower RPM rather than 2 with high RPM ?

How much does CFM play role in reducing /increasing noise ?

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
take an example,
a 200mm fan produces 50cfm by running at600rpm
a 140mm fan produces 50cfm at 1000rpm
a 120mm will produce same at 1500rpm
a 80mm will produce same at 2500rpm
higher the rpm more noise will be produced.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
TP, exams coming. so i will post detail pics later. till then -
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/151107-my-new-rig-4-core-ka-zor.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ thanks for the link - I think I got my answer ;-)

BTW, best wishes for the upcoming exam.

vyral_143

Constructed New Rig..!!
Is my fan setup correct ?

*i.imgur.com/5kx4K.jpg

Front - Intake - 120mm 90CFM - to cool 2 HDDs
Side - Exhaust - 120mm 90CFM
Top - Intake - 2*140mm 65CFM - to cool VRMs and NB
Rear - Exhaust - 120mm 42CFM

Top left intake (specially to cool VRMs as OCing) and adjacent rear exhaust is wrong i guess.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
finally managed to mount my trusty old CM Hyper 212 horizontally ;-)

I'm still surprised how future proof this cooler is though it was introduced on 2007 ( I'm I remember it correct ) but thanks to AMD for retaining a good and compatible socket type ( still going on ) and CM for making a great cooler like this ;-)

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
if you keep the temp inside your cabinet less then the vrm will also stay cool.if you heatsink fan blows air upwards and the top fan blows downwards and both exactly opposite then you can guess what will happen.so it is better to throw the air coming from heatsink fan out with a top fan.even your side intake fan will keep your NB temp cool which reaches very high in this mobo.

here guys another one from "Hardwaresecrets.com",
Which is the Best Place to Install a Case Fan? - Part 1

Which is the Best Place to Install a Case Fan? - Part 2

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ great find ( TFS ) ;-) and nice to see they used a CM 430

BTW, a little OT : are you running the cpu @ stock speed - what's the cpu temp under load ??

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
thanks bro.i am using my 955 in stock speed at 1.25v vcore.right now i am using ubuntu live cd so don't know how to check the temp.will tell you when i get my HDD from RMA and when i get my source 210.

doomgiver

Warframe
^^
thanks bro.i am using my 955 in stock speed at 1.25v vcore.right now i am using ubuntu live cd so don't know how to check the temp.will tell you when i get my HDD from RMA and when i get my source 210.

right click on the panel (assuming gnome,)
add applet/widget/whatever
scroll down to system monitor or something, add that, and it'll show temps.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^oh thanks bro but it is unity.now i am using linux mint 12.it is pretty awesome os.looks prettier than windows 7.it has hardware temp widget but it shows in Fahrenheit.do you know how to get it in Celsius?

Top Bottom