Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Enlightment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
Please vote for the best Window manager..
And also post which feature of it you like the most..

Apart From this there are lot more WM's I have Included only a few popular ones..

If the WM you use/like is not on the poll plz post a reply.

:D

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
hmm i must say my limited knowledge of linux is sooooo limited...

i have never used anything other than Gnome and KDE...

Hmm... maybe i can try out the "winner" of this thread/poll...

Prav.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I tried out enlightenment yesterday for the first time. I was rahter impressed with it. It had a neat look and feel. Was low on RAM usage and quite fast. I am still to learn more about it but I've already started liking it a lot.

praka123

left this forum longback
GNOME and KDE are also essentially window managers.might have included that to see the actual poll result..

Satissh S

Youngling
@Prakash:- Correct me if wrong, but GNOME is actually a desktop environment which runs over another window manager which inturn runs over the crude x.
ie., The click, counter click( a.k.a rightclick) and other functions are provided by X, The dragging from one application to another, minimizing and maximising, shading etc are provided by the windows manager, and the Desktop Environment resides on top of the window manager utilizing with it's functions with it's own set of applications, like GNOME.
Correct me if wrong! :roll:

praka123

left this forum longback
Basically ur correct.but i believe... more than other WM's GNOME and KDE are Desktop Environments with Window Manager already packed in.Thus making a single best Window Manager which is much more usable than other single WMs..Also U may not be able to use any WM's simply with GNOME or KDE..without atleast some tweaks....For eg; kde works better/successfull with kwm or GNOME with metacity etc....Also i feel like How dry it will look @ Desktop with some lightweight WMs..[No,NNO OFFENSE!]

I will say GNOME and KDE makes a better Window Managers.. :)

Satissh S

Youngling
I have nothing more but to simply agree to what you say prakash :D, but lets consider enlightenment, which infact is a full blown windows manager, with good (great, infact ;))look and feel and almost a file manager (under development). So If only it had some more widgets and epplets built into it and some user friendly configuration tools (meaning we don't have to edit the directories manually), We would be better off using it rather than memory hogging GNOME or KDE in situations such as setting up a gaming machine that's gonna be used for running tux-friendly games such as doom3 and quake. Which is infact a terrific prospect!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom