The Astronomy Thread

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The Voyager 1 has officially gone beyond the solar system into interstellar space. (Also a short informative video in the link.)

After streaking through space for nearly 35 years, NASA's robotic Voyager 1 probe finally left the solar system in August 2012, a study published today (Sept. 12) in the journal Science reports.

"Voyager has boldly gone where no probe has gone before, marking one of the most significant technological achievements in the annals of the history of science, and as it enters interstellar space, it adds a new chapter in human scientific dreams and endeavors," NASA science chief John Grunsfeld said in a statement. "Perhaps some future deep-space explorers will catch up with Voyager, our first interstellar envoy, and reflect on how this intrepid spacecraft helped enable their future." [Voyager 1 in Interstellar Space: Complete Coverage]

Source : Voyager 1 Has Left Solar System, Enters Interstellar Space | Space.com

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
New study suggests that Earth could have got the moon from Venus.

Did Venus Give Earth the Moon? Wild New Theory | LiveScience

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Nice thread, keep it up.... ;-)
@ OP can you find a few remarkable images of universe as seen in discovery shows?? :chinscratch:

Also you can add a few basic definitions like a black hole, wormhole, space time fabric, relativity, Big bang etc to the first post..

Offtopic (Sort of on topic)- Has anybody here read Dan Brown's Deception Point ?

Yes...
And Kind of feel that it can be applied here too :-D

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Nice thread, keep it up.... ;-)
@ OP can you find a few remarkable images of universe as seen in discovery shows?? :chinscratch:

Also you can add a few basic definitions like a black hole, wormhole, space time fabric, relativity, Big bang etc to the first post..

Sure. Once I get home from office.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey friends , am an astronomy enthusiast as well. I want to begin exploring the night sky. Can anyone recommend any good binoculars which they have personally used to begin with? ( Dont want to buy telescope now as all astronomy websites recommend to get familiar with night sky using binoculars first and i concur its a wise idea)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
A Strange Lonely Planet Found without a Star

*www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/press-releases/LonelyPlanet/ps1_lonely_planet-450.jpg

An international team of astronomers has discovered an exotic young planet that is not orbiting a star. This free-floating planet, dubbed PSO J318.5-22, is just 80 light-years away from Earth and has a mass only six times that of Jupiter. The planet formed a mere 12 million years ago—a newborn in planet lifetimes.

It was identified from its faint and unique heat signature by the Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) wide-field survey telescope on Haleakala, Maui. Follow-up observations using other telescopes in Hawaii show that it has properties similar to those of gas-giant planets found orbiting around young stars. And yet PSO J318.5-22 is all by itself, without a host star.

"We have never before seen an object free-floating in space that that looks like this. It has all the characteristics of young planets found around other stars, but it is drifting out there all alone,” explained team leader Dr. Michael Liu of the Institute for Astronomy at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. “I had often wondered if such solitary objects exist, and now we know they do.”

During the past decade, extrasolar planets have been discovered at an incredible pace, with about a thousand found by indirect methods such as wobbling or dimming of their host stars induced by the planet. However, only a handful of planets have been directly imaged, all of which are around young stars (less than 200 million years old). PSO J318.5-22 is one of the lowest-mass free-floating objects known, perhaps the very lowest. But its most unique aspect is its similar mass, color, and energy output to directly imaged planets.

Source : Institute for Astronomy Press Release:Found: A Strange Lonely Planet without a Star

quagmire

Allllright !
Cassini Photo: Stunning New Views of Saturn’s Hexagon Storm

*newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/files/2013/12/Saturn-hex-cassini-PIA17652-600x600.gif

icebags

Technomancer
i always wonder, whether those 4 gas planets actually have a solid core inside ?
what would actually be like to stand on that solid core, will it be heavy, super cold or super hot, streamy gluey flow of air all around ? will i ever come to know the reality ...... *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/46.gif

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
i always wonder, whether those 4 gas planets actually have a solid core inside ?
what would actually be like to stand on that solid core, will it be heavy, super cold or super hot, streamy gluey flow of air all around ? will i ever come to know the reality ...... *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/46.gif
are you a masochist? :p

_

icebags

Technomancer
dude ur choice of noun is absolutely improper, u know ? there is no such thing with astronomical planets. *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/22.gif

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
dude ur choice of noun is absolutely improper, u know ? there is no such thing with astronomical planets. *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/22.gif
I don't think it is improper. was just joking why you are so pleasantly wondering about encountering those extreme conditions that will make a pulp out of any human.

_

icebags

Technomancer
i was wondering how deep a modern day probe will go and how long will it survive if they are to be sent descending on those gas planets. we must know whats inside after all.....

on the side note, those russian probes managed couple of hours on venus surface in 70-80s.

doomgiver

Warframe
yes, they have solid cores. jupiter has a solid hydrogen/helium core.

i was wondering how deep a modern day probe will go and how long will it survive if they are to be sent descending on those gas planets. we must know whats inside after all.....

on the side note, those russian probes managed couple of hours on venus surface in 70-80s.
Venus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
read this para and the next

Jupiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia VV read below
An atmospheric probe was released from the spacecraft in July 1995, entering the planet's atmosphere on December 7. It parachuted through 150 km (93 mi) of the atmosphere, collected data for 57.6 minutes, and was crushed by the pressure to which it was subjected by that time (about 22 times Earth normal, at a temperature of 153 °C).[SUP][99][/SUP] It would have melted thereafter, and possibly vaporized.

icebags

Technomancer
since then nearly 2 decades have passed..... the unborn became adults and voted AAP for a win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom