the Arch Linux thread

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Why should it matter when I have selected a remote repository?

Its a 2011 release one though.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why should it matter when I have selected a remote repository?

Its a 2011 release one though.
That's like 1000 years ago for the bleeding-edge principles Arch stands for. BSD-style init has been replaced by systemd.

Download the latest image and proceed according to the Beginner's Guide.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My question is why would I need a new image if I am getting all my data from an online repository?

DDIF

Custom User Title
My question is why would I need a new image if I am getting all my data from an online repository?
Because the tools in the CD and the key signing is not compatible with new system. The old CDs used init, whereas as ico said the new ones use System V style.
The AIF (Arch Installation Framework, the old easy installer) has also been replaced with pacstrap. So you better grab a new image and head to *wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide .

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Finally got my Arch VM up and running. Now I want to install a DE, what do you suggest? Gnome or KDE?

digit.sh

Journeyman
Mine is 3 years old. Can't explain the sheer joy when I see windowz guys banging their head over their problems and ubuntu users reinstalling every few months :wink:

sharang.d

Youngling
Which DE and Window Manager do you guys use?
I plan to install Arch today/tomorrow. I want to use my existing grub2 as the boot loader so I hope there is an option to NOT install any boot loader from arch during the setup.
Would be keeping my Windows 7 and Linux Mint as well.

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Which DE and Window Manager do you guys use?
I plan to install Arch today/tomorrow. I want to use my existing grub2 as the boot loader so I hope there is an option to NOT install any boot loader from arch during the setup.
Would be keeping my Windows 7 and Linux Mint as well.

No DE. simple text login, and openbox.

Top Bottom