The Android Army in India

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
BTW, I don't know how many of you have got a chance to play with GS, but the Facebook and Twitter integration in the contacts app is simply awesome! @desiibond, check it out if you haven't already :)

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
BTW, I don't know how many of you have got a chance to play with GS, but the Facebook and Twitter integration in the contacts app is simply awesome! @desiibond, check it out if you haven't already :)

yes. I do remember. Configure twitter and facebook id for each contact and the updates are pushed to contacts app . fing awesome. :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@desiibond: That's a nice compilation for quick reference before buying. All the essential details are there.

Also, I don't why people cry about Android versions. As long as it's not 2.2; 1.6 or 2.0 or 2.1 hardly is any different from each other for me. 2.2, yes I would anyday buy a phone with that given a choice amongst all; but anything under 2.2, it's all the same for me; no big deal

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@desiibond: That's a nice compilation for quick reference before buying. All the essential details are there.

Also, I don't why people cry about Android versions. As long as it's not 2.2; 1.6 or 2.0 or 2.1 hardly is any different from each other for me. 2.2, yes I would anyday buy a phone with that given a choice amongst all; but anything under 2.2, it's all the same for me; no big deal

yes. it does matter. 2.0/2.1 are the versions that gave Android the boost it needed

Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read the changelog from here or from Android's home pages.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
There are not so subtle differences:

What is the difference between android 1.5 and 2.0?

Android 2.0 Feature Review

watch the video in that page.

1) performance (makes use of hardware acceleration)
2) multiple accounts
3) exchange support
4) multiple screen sizes supported, which means, apps can work on different screens unlike apps designed for 1.5/1.6. (HTC Tattoo running 1.6 was not being able to utilize many apps (especially games) that were designed for higher resolution and larger screens. This shouldn't be a problem with 2.x versions)
5) quick contact (this feature used really well in Galaxy S, see Kalpik's screenshots in GS thread)
6) multi touch
7) better use of bluetooth API (not sure how much useful this was)

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yes. it does matter. 2.0/2.1 are the versions that gave Android the boost it needed

Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read the changelog from here or from Android's home pages.
I'm not taking about some documented changelog or readme or anything. I'm talking about first hand user experience. 1.6+ until 2.2, I don't find anything revolutionary or out of this world.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I'm not taking about some documented changelog or readme or anything. I'm talking about first hand user experience. 1.6+ until 2.2, I don't find anything revolutionary or out of this world.

1) Multiple gmail accounts sync with unified inbox : I have three gmail accounts and I prefer to use all of them in my phone for updates, contacts etc. This was not possible with 1.5/1.6.
2) Multi touch : This helps a lot when browsing, viewing pictures etc.
3) 16M color display : Thanks to better color support, the color look vibrant and also videos are crisp. Add to that the superb quality that AMOLED brings in.
4) performance : apps open faster, UI is snappier, multitasking is better, more fps in games.
5) quick contact : you should really see how much this helps. try phones like Legend and SGS
6) Improved keypad : with multitouch support, typing is lot faster and apps like swype make it easier.

with 2.2 you get these native features:

1) wifi hotpost
2) tethering
3) superb performance boost for mid to high end phones, making better use of underlying hardware.
4) Improved exchange functionality

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
@Infra

Most of the developments that have been made are under the hood. But when you compare a vanilla Cupcake with an Eclair you will notice a lot of difference. Right from app. launcher to Music to Gallery. In terms of usage perhaps the greatest improvement that i have seen is browsing. Browsing seems to be a lot snappier.

Though I am on 2.2; the devs have disabled JIT (dalvik VM still around for me) so I hardly notice any performance boost.

jetboy

Journeyman
@desiibond : good information. Thanks for your time and efforts to put it all in a single post. I am sure this will help a lot. May be we can try and more and more handsets as they come.

Cool Stuff!!

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@desiibond : good information. Thanks for your time and efforts to put it all in a single post. I am sure this will help a lot. May be we can try and more and more handsets as they come.

Cool Stuff!!

Thank you. and I will be updating the post as new models come along (even if it's shittty models like Lemon blah blah blah) :) . You can also check 'bandla.wordpress.com' for updates on the same :)

F

FilledVoid

nic compilation . Although I'm still angry that you didnt include htc Magic :-x . Lol j/k. Nice review sheet. SHould help anyone who needs a quick comparison between all of them. As for the rest please try to keep the thread on topic :D .

Cheers.

LOL really its very difficult to make some people buy anything other then Nokia...
Recently I too tried my best to make my uncle purchase Samsung Spica but ultimately he got Nokia 5530

Great thread Desibond...

Great thread desi..amazing information for Andriod lovers !!
@sujoyp- well said my friend !! There are so many Andriod phones in the list..and they keep on increasing but I'm still waiting for N8 :p

PS: sorry mod-@offtopic !! This should be sticky !!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
1) Multiple gmail accounts sync with unified inbox : I have three gmail accounts and I prefer to use all of them in my phone for updates, contacts etc. This was not possible with 1.5/1.6.
2) Multi touch : This helps a lot when browsing, viewing pictures etc.
3) 16M color display : Thanks to better color support, the color look vibrant and also videos are crisp. Add to that the superb quality that AMOLED brings in.
4) performance : apps open faster, UI is snappier, multitasking is better, more fps in games.
5) quick contact : you should really see how much this helps. try phones like Legend and SGS
6) Improved keypad : with multitouch support, typing is lot faster and apps like swype make it easier.

with 2.2 you get these native features:

1) wifi hotpost
2) tethering
3) superb performance boost for mid to high end phones, making better use of underlying hardware.
4) Improved exchange functionality

@Infra

Most of the developments that have been made are under the hood. But when you compare a vanilla Cupcake with an Eclair you will notice a lot of difference. Right from app. launcher to Music to Gallery. In terms of usage perhaps the greatest improvement that i have seen is browsing. Browsing seems to be a lot snappier.

Though I am on 2.2; the devs have disabled JIT (dalvik VM still around for me) so I hardly notice any performance boost.
The only thing that matters to me is the multi-touch in 2.0. Nothing else matters as a consumer, trust me. Most of the "so-called" features are just an eye-wash. 2.2 is the only version I consider revolutionary.

And if I say something, I don't talk in thin air. I say it because I work at Qualcomm. I've played, fiddled, dissected every piece of hardware and it's corresponding OS before anyone here got a chance to even smell about it through some tech-rumor blog/website!

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
The only thing that matters to me is the multi-touch in 2.0. Nothing else matters as a consumer, trust me. Most of the "so-called" features are just an eye-wash. 2.2 is the only version I consider revolutionary.

Merit of a feature depends upon individual needs. For me its native Exchange support. For someone else it would be Bluetooth 2.1, likewise. So saying that apart from MT everything else is an eyewash may not be entirely correct.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Merit of a feature depends upon individual needs. For me its native Exchange support. For someone else it would be Bluetooth 2.1, likewise. So saying that apart from MT everything else is an eyewash may not be entirely correct.

totally agree to this point.IMO the progression of Android in past couple of years has been phenomenal...a person who spends 25K+ on a handset is not a noob but most of such people are tech savvy and feature hungry and if the feature list of 1.6 and 2.2 are compared anyone can tell the difference.

Off-topic:When iPhone was launched (in those initial days) everybody who purchased it immediately started looking for ways to forward sms and record video.

I am sure those who are on Android 1.6 now, when they get chance to move to 2.2 they will be thrilled to see loads of added features... :)

jetboy

Journeyman
Thank you. and I will be updating the post as new models come along (even if it's shittty models like Lemon blah blah blah) :) . You can also check 'bandla.wordpress.com' for updates on the same :)

Wow thats a great site my friend...Kudos to you on that

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Totally agree. I like the factors like multiple gmail account sync and 16M color support and am not much concerned much about exchange. Working in Qualcomm and having the possibility of testing every single phone (having qualcomm chipset) doesn't justfiy this quote (by ird):

I've played, fiddled, dissected every piece of hardware and it's corresponding OS before anyone here got a chance to even smell about it through some tech-rumor blog/website

And if I am right, in case of current gen smartphone platforms, it's the developers that make it click more than end users and they are happy with 2.x builds

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

thank you :)

Means of Transistor/Those old-style music players (Cassette Player+FM/AM Player) :mrgreen:

Let's not drag this thing further :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom