The All New iPod !

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekysage

Journeyman
ahhh...here he is...another apple afficionado trying to cover up....btw, i have been using an iPod mini for about an year and a half now and i agree with your views on the interface and the clickwheel but that doesn't absolve Apple - Steve Jobs - from getting a whiplash on their asses when they start fvcking up!
IMO, nobody beats apple when it comes to designing great devices but that's not all one needs, atleast not me! Somebody took the words out of my mouth and posted it on the internet...here it is:
I was an Apple rep at my school from 2001-2002, and was lucky enough to buy a first generation iPod in Dec '01 for half price ($200). Physical scroll wheel, 5GB, no color, firewire only, and dock-less. It's been almost 4 years now and it still works pretty well. I say pretty well because the battery has always been a little shady, though you can still use it for a good 5+ hour period straight, filly charged.

It was about a year later that I started to really distance myself from my previous love of Apple and it's products. If you look at their history since late 2001, the only really great innovation was the iPod. Since then, they've just thrown more and more stuff onto the existing model, in hopes of making it better (and I know that some of the models since then have a pretty good track record of not being faulty). The reason I distanced myself was because they don't seem to be making logical, ethical decisions in their business model(s). It's rush-rush-rush to get the new one out, watch as it's deemed faulty, and then offer some *really* unfair kickback to consumers (I got $25 for my battery in the recent class-action lawsuit). What used to cripple Apple - the extremely long waits for just-announced products - has shifted violently to the other end of the spectrum, and again, the consumers suffer.

The Apple-Microsoft debate is pretty moot now, as each company is becoming more and more known as non-OS companies. But for all the flack MS has taken in the past for shady business, Apple now seems to be doing the same (different shadiness, but shadiness nonetheless). For a while now, visits to ***forum and other sites - even non-tech ones - keep popping up headlines about Apple and their plans to rectify some new problem they created. When are consumers going to stop treating Apple to this phantom exemption?
Period.

thrash_metal

In the zone
has anyone seen the video playback on the iPod ? i mean is it sluggish , breaking up video or the playback is smooth and straight ?

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Hey i used an ipod for the first time, and i must say its cool! Specially the navigation with the almost finger-gesture like interface. No wonder mac users are such fanatics.
Anyways can someone tell whether its the ipod itself or the headphones which are responsible for its great sound.

geekysage

Journeyman
@chesss: i guess you haven't used many digi-mp3 players yet, otherwise you wouldn't have asked that question. iPod sound quality is not that great at all, it's the headphones/earphones that do the trick. Most audio enthusiast throw/sell off the bundled earphones and buy better ones like sennheiser. I had a Creative Media Zukebox Zen Xtra (30GBs) before i switched to iPod mini coz of its sleek and small design and maybe it was the bundled earphones, but i liked the creative better in terms of sound quality. It also had a manual frequency equalizer making it more flexible and user friendly. By the way, the earphones that i got bundled with the mini died on me after about an year and since then i have been happily using a pair of Sony over-the-ear phones.

Besides, all the iPod hoopla is not coz of its sound quality but rather coz of its neat interface and sleek design. Ofcourse, having the Apple tag before the name helps as well.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
i guess you haven't used many digi-mp3 players yet, otherwise you wouldn't have asked that question.

Yup, not much experience in this. Thanks for clearing up things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom