Temperatures are too high

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here here, went there, tried there, temps dropped by 2c, the stock cooler is even smaller than the ones the came with core 2 duos back then and c2ds had 65w tdp.

as for OP I even don't know what app he has used to monitor temp and what's his vcore - many people use speedfan to monitor temps but that's not very good has several bugs and needs to be properly calibrated first.

I've asked OP to post his vcore using cpu-z screenshot or from bios - sometime when using a stock HSF temps can be reduced by lowering cpu vcore voltage.

you've used bios or some fancy asus apps to monitor cpu temp or you have used some app like HWmonitor/Realtemp/Coretmp which can measure the temps more accurately. What's your cpu vcore and what app you have used t load the cpu to the maximum limit ?

Granted stock HSF is not good like U12P but stock HSF should keep the temps below 70c when not OCed and while playing games cpu load is rarely 100% all the time - so temp should not cross 70c if the HSF is properly installed and paste is applied correctly.

I've one of those Intel Pentiium D 930 CPU - you know how much they were criticized for heating issue - after I properly installed the stock cooler with CM nano Fusion load temp never crossed 60C and idle temp was around 40C in the summer time.

tkin

Back to school!!
as for OP I even don't know what app he has used to monitor temp and what's his vcore - many people use speedfan to monitor temps but that's not very good has several bugs and needs to be properly calibrated first.

I've asked OP to post his vcore using cpu-z screenshot or from bios - sometime when using a stock HSF temps can be reduced by lowering cpu vcore voltage.

you've used bios or some fancy asus apps to monitor cpu temp or you have used some app like HWmonitor/Realtemp/Coretmp which can measure the temps more accurately. What's your cpu vcore and what app you have used t load the cpu to the maximum limit ?

Granted stock HSF is not good like U12P but stock HSF should keep the temps below 70c when not OCed and while playing games cpu load is rarely 100% all the time - so temp should not cross 70c if the HSF is properly installed and paste is applied correctly.

I've one of those Intel Pentiium D 930 CPU - you know how much they were criticized for heating issue - after I properly installed the stock cooler with CM nano Fusion load temp never crossed 60C and idle temp was around 40C in the summer time.
Hmm, I checked temps/vcore from Bios, HWMonitor, Realtemp 3.67 beta(sandy version) and all of them were posting the same, 74c load in bios, 80c+ when using prime small fft, I reseated it like four times and applied new tim(didn't use TX4 as that would be a waste), granted I was using a cr@p thermal paste, the cm HTK001(150/-, toothpaste), with intel's stock paste it was 68c in bios.

Now, my explanation for temps, sandy has the smallest surface area of any cpu in intel line(not the ancient ones), now, smaller the surface area, smaller is the amount of heat dissipated by it, so you need very efficient cooler to cool it down, I had this stock cooler on my E8400 and with stock intel tim, temps never crossed 70c on either cores, but sandy, with small surface area cannot be cooled with the stock cooler, so the cores heat up, when using the stock cooler I felt the ram heatsink, and mobo heatsinks heating up like crazy, and I just read all the customer reviews(500 of them) in new egg and 90% of them experiencing load temps of 70c+ with stock cooler(in lower ambients in US), lowering the vcore may work but that's something most people won't like.

One thing I decided after the experience, from now on, I'll never use stocck cooler for 95w or greater tdp proccy, specially the 32nm ones as they have very small surface area.

PS: Is nanofusion that good? I was planning to get some MX4 but with shipping it will be close to 900/-, now MX4 will be best but if nanofusion is good I might get that(400/-), stock tim came in a very small amount. I have TX4 but it requires manual spreading, too much hassle, I like the rice grain method but TX4 is too viscous to use it.

manashp9876

Broken In
Hmm, I checked temps/vcore from Bios, HWMonitor, Realtemp 3.67 beta(sandy version) and all of them were posting the same, 74c load in bios, 80c+ when using prime small fft, I reseated it like four times and applied new tim(didn't use TX4 as that would be a waste), granted I was using a cr@p thermal paste, the cm HTK001(150/-, toothpaste), with intel's stock paste it was 68c in bios.

Now, my explanation for temps, sandy has the smallest surface area of any cpu in intel line(not the ancient ones), now, smaller the surface area, smaller is the amount of heat dissipated by it, so you need very efficient cooler to cool it down, I had this stock cooler on my E8400 and with stock intel tim, temps never crossed 70c on either cores, but sandy, with small surface area cannot be cooled with the stock cooler, so the cores heat up, when using the stock cooler I felt the ram heatsink, and mobo heatsinks heating up like crazy, and I just read all the customer reviews(500 of them) in new egg and 90% of them experiencing load temps of 70c+ with stock cooler(in lower ambients in US), lowering the vcore may work but that's something most people won't like.

One thing I decided after the experience, from now on, I'll never use stocck cooler for 95w or greater tdp proccy, specially the 32nm ones as they have very small surface area.

PS: Is nanofusion that good? I was planning to get some MX4 but with shipping it will be close to 900/-, now MX4 will be best but if nanofusion is good I might get that(400/-), stock tim came in a very small amount. I have TX4 but it requires manual spreading, too much hassle, I like the rice grain method but TX4 is too viscous to use it.

dont know about nanofusion.i am using cm thermal fusion400(450/-)....getting good temp.

tkin

Back to school!!
dont know about nanofusion.i am using cm thermal fusion400(450/-)....getting good temp.
The one that comes in a large container? Hmm, applying it would be hard, as I have to scrape it out and spread it, too much hassle, rice bean method can only be used with syringes.

manashp9876

Broken In
The one that comes in a large container? Hmm, applying it would be hard, as I have to scrape it out and spread it, too much hassle, rice bean method can only be used with syringes.
no it comes with syringe. that is icefusion comes with large container.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Nice observation of SB cpu and it's temp issue ;-)

At-least I found nanofusion to be very good for me - previously 930's temp was around 48-50C when in idle and under load it was reaching 65-68c but with nano fusion I had got max load temp of 56C ;-)

It comes with syringe and I've applied rice grain method to apply it on cpu and this paste spreaded nicely and efficiently with the weight of 930's stockj cooler. Used nanofusion with my Hyper 212 and it it worked well even with that.

tkin

Back to school!!

At-least I found nanofusion to be very good for me - previously 930's temp was around 48-50C when in idle and under load it was reaching 65-68c but with nano fusion I had got max load temp of 56C ;-)

It comes with syringe and I've applied rice grain method to apply it on cpu and this paste spreaded nicely and efficiently with the weight of 930's stockj cooler. Used nanofusion with my Hyper 212 and it it worked well even with that.
Thanks, one question, from where did you buy it? Seems very rare. Do you mean thermal fusion?

ithehappy

Human Spambot

It's really surprising how a TIM have so much effect in decreasing the temp by 10°C or so. Great. I now really need to order the TX4.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Nanfusion is decent. Have used it too. For some reason the NTH1 I got with my Noctua failed to impress me. I just got some MX2, will apply that soon.

tkin

Back to school!!
Nanfusion is decent. Have used it too. For some reason the NTH1 I got with my Noctua failed to impress me. I just got some MX2, will apply that soon.
Where can I find nanofusion? All I see are MX2 and TX4(have it) and Arctic Silver 5(electro conductive), only if I could get some MX4, that one has massive thermal conductivity.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
NTH1 > Nanofusion. :)

Try itdepot. They have a decent listing of TIMs.

Theitdepot - Cooling Devices

OP
D

DragoKnight

Right off the assembly line
so guyz,which TIM should i buy?Is it widely available?i stay in Hyderabad.
Would it be better to buy 2 more Fans or 1 hyper 212+?

Please refer to the first post for details...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, one question, from where did you buy it? Seems very rare. Do you mean thermal fusion?

I bought it from MD computers way back in Oct 2008 ;-)

Nano Fusion is better than Thermal Fusion :
Thermal Fusion
NanoFusion

It's really surprising how a TIM have so much effect in decreasing the temp by 10°C or so. Great. I now really need to order the TX4.

yep, even I was surprised by it's performance and it performs better with copper base coolers - personal observation ;-)

Where can I find nanofusion? All I see are MX2 and TX4(have it) and Arctic Silver 5(electro conductive), only if I could get some MX4, that one has massive thermal conductivity.

That's why I like non electro conductive TiM - safe for hardwares or am I missing something ?? Can someone put some more words about Arctic silver and it's electro Conductiveness.

so guyz,which TIM should i buy?Is it widely available?i stay in Hyderabad.
Would it be better to buy 2 more Fans or 1 hyper 212+?

Please refer to the first post for details...

Hyper 212+ is a great CPU cooler - for TIM you should get Artctic Silver or MX2 - they proved to be good ;-)

post the results once you apply MX2.

tkin

Back to school!!
Nanofusion had been eol'ed long time ago, among the current TIMs available, TX4 is best but is a bit sticky so you have to spread it, if you prefer rice grain method buy thermal fusion(ebay) or MX2(better, is only found at mediahome.in afaik).

tkin

Back to school!!
Go see my guide(I believe you already posted there).

If you buy Noctua, you can use the TIM that comes with it, if you buy cooler master you need to buy a good TIM as stock TIM is worst than toothpaste.

Here's some tims that are available in India.
TX4>MX2<>Thermal Fusion

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go see my guide(I believe you already posted there).

If you buy Noctua, you can use the TIM that comes with it, if you buy cooler master you need to buy a good TIM as stock TIM is worst than toothpaste.

Here's some tims that are available in India.
TX4>MX2<>Thermal Fusion

Actually I found the stock TIM came with Hyper 212 to be pretty good if not best and mine Athlon II X4 @ 3.5Ghz temp never crossed 48C under Hyper 212 ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
Actually I found the stock TIM came with Hyper 212 to be pretty good if not best and mine Athlon II X4 @ 3.5Ghz temp never crossed 48C under Hyper 212 ;-)
The free stuff, is it thermal fusion? Or HTK001? If its thermal fusion its ok, if HTK001, I'd say cr@p.

Top Bottom