Teaching Computers to Grand Father

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
He got a new Windows 7 laptop recently.
So, I've been working on him for a few months and he seems to forget a lot. I have taught him how to check email. Switching on and off. i've tried to get him to browse the net but he is very apprehensive. I showed him yahoo.com, he uses yahoo.com only. I've tried to explain him the philosophy of following the links like the rabbit hole :) but he does not do it. And the various random stuff scares him.. like browser asks to update etc. I've switched them off but still something or the other pops up.

How should i go about this?
What would be the best way to teach him?
Are there some good videos which are like extremely basic, i mean something that even explains the minimize and maximize button , switching on and off.. ?

So what do you guys say? any tips

havoknation

Journeyman
He got a new Windows 7 laptop recently.
So, I've been working on him for a few months and he seems to forget a lot. I have taught him how to check email. Switching on and off. i've tried to get him to browse the net but he is very apprehensive. I showed him yahoo.com, he uses yahoo.com only. I've tried to explain him the philosophy of following the links like the rabbit hole :) but he does not do it. And the various random stuff scares him.. like browser asks to update etc. I've switched them off but still something or the other pops up.

How should i go about this?
What would be the best way to teach him?
Are there some good videos which are like extremely basic, i mean something that even explains the minimize and maximize button , switching on and off.. ?

So what do you guys say? any tips

I think you should start telling him the basics of windows like what is HDD drives (how to copy paste), various file formats like txt, jpeg, doc, html etc then after that you should tell him the functionality of PC and give him brief idea about hardware also like what is hdd, cpu etc. give him brief abt usb ports.
After all this then let him go to internet with pages liike google etc. because if he knows the basic functionality of PC then it would be easy for him to understand software part.

clmlbx

Technomancer
First thing you tell him and clear it.. you don't have administrator rights (obviously you must have not given) and nothing can be go wrong by software until unless you do any physical damage nothing can go wrong. So he will be little bit free to explore.. and second for now set up speed dials in web browser. so it will be easy for him to surf.. Instead of finding videos you can make videos record a screen, It won't take much time and many free apps are available for it.. and tell him to watch that if he forgets.. and only show him once next time he asks then hand mouse to him and just narrate what to do..

well all above things were effective (have not tried videos as they were not needed )when I taught computer to my mom still going on but now she is very comfortable doing basic things and surfing.. playing games on facebook.. :grin:

and importantly you don't need to tell every detail this will just confuse him.. only share what is needed at present .. .. if he stucks ahead you can teach further.. but only if needed .. If he is surfing good then you don't need to until he actually needs it.. step by step is key .

sometime's we think they are elder so every thing should be clear in one round but it does not matter what age they are ..learning curve is very smooth and slow.. step by step

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
^^i have done that mistake. I told him too many things in order to explain, later i regretted it because he got confused

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
firstly explain to him that the internet is like a maze, you have to explore to find your way. And if anything goes wrong you can always reboot :) . He needs to feel that the computer is a repairable product unless he does physical damage so he should not be apprehensive. You should first teach him the basics like using search engines, checking email, facebook etc. Then maybe move on to softwares . Elder people are also apprehensive because they value money and the feel that the should use computers carefully so as to not damage them. Also they may feel bad, if something goes wrong and you have to fix it for him .

just remember : a good teacher is a patient one

Top Bottom