Tax exemption for Rahman

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Source: *specials.rediff.com/movies/2009/feb/24video1-oscar-tax-exemption-for-rahman.htm

Home Minister P Chidambaram said he would ask the Finance Ministry to exempt from taxation, all the cash prizes won by A R Rahman at the Oscars.

Why? :mad: Why should the middle class people like us will suffer from more tax while these celebrities have tax free income?
:mad: Law should be same for everyone.

BTW, read the comments from the readers too. They also voice similar feelings.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Yeah, if they exempt people with truckloads of money, then whom are gonna collect taxes from?

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
this is worng. He should pay tax. first its sachin now rehman...... exempt all celebrities from tax and keep increasing it for the common man.......these politicians my god.

rosemolr

Journeyman
He made the nation proud..And i'am sure not anyone of here can do this in their entire life..He deserve more than this..For me he is just the music lord

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
He made the nation proud..And i'am sure not anyone of here can do this in their entire life..He deserve more than this..For me he is just the music lord

+~

his tax should be waived and his part-of-tax should be collected from all the politicians.. are they ready to share..:razz::razz:

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Comeon yaar.He deserves the award and the money.
I as a very good tax payer ,thinks the decision is in the right spirit.
He deserves all the accolades.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
What's wrong with the tax exemption? Sachin was also granted the same for his Ferrari. It is good that Rahman is also being given the exemption. He deserves it.

Oh and for the one who is talking about exempting celebs of taxes, go win an Oscar & score half as many runs Sachin has then yap about celebs being exempted of taxes.

nix

^does that make him a superior being? is he above all of us just coz he got an oscar? what is so great about the oscars or cricket. sachin plays well, so what?. he has only amassed wealth for himself. not for the country's needy.

the man that you are taking up for, will not even care to say 'hi' to you.

what about those NSG commandoes? what about people who run charities? what about people who run old people's homes? what about soldiers? dont they put their lives on the line for the country?
is rahman above all these people just coz he won an oscar?

your comments appal me.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
^does that make him a superior being? is he above all of us just coz he got an oscar? what is so great about the oscars or cricket. sachin plays well, so what?. he has only amassed wealth for himself. not for the country's needy.

what about those NSG commandoes? what about people who run charities? what about people who run old people's homes? what about soldiers? dont they put their lives on the line for the country?

your comments appal me.

Totally a stupid thinking.. Do you have any music knowledge. If u have, u could be understand what he has done in past.. Oscar given the recognitiion of his past records.
Do u know, the only thing in the world to forget our worries is listening a good music.. this is universal truth.. So dont compare any singer/composer/instrumentalist with other and also dont compare the achievers to other people..
do you know, the people you mentioned are also coming under the tax exemption.. if u like to do something to indian economy, give some ideas to IT dept that how to recover lakhs and lakhs of crores of recoverable-tax-money from non-payers.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
When you win something your family shows appreciation in different ways, 1 of them is by buying you something or giving you money to get yourself what you want. Rahman has done India proud not specifically by winning the Oscar but giving us Indians countless masterpieces of music that you & me pirate & happily listen to and then when he succeeds & is appreciated by the world for his genius we rush to call him Indian, but exempting him of tax for an award he has won becomes wrong? Dhoni, Bachchan, Akshaye Kumar, SRK all of them are high tax payers.

This exemption is not because he is a celeb. It is a gesture by the govt. of India to show appreciation for his acheievment abroad & bringing fame to India. It is your mentallity that you will pirate & enjoy his songs but when he wins & is appreciated you go around appalling comments.

We even have people on this forum who go to the extent of saying that I support oiracy as opposed to DRM!
Unfortunately like many who are smitten by others' fame I'm not. I don't give a rat's rear or 'hi' by someone. Rahman's music is creative genius & brilliant, I'm a fan of his work. besides I'm not taking up for Rahman, but for the govt.'s decision to exempt his trophies of being tax.

Because they don't get any benefits you will hold Rahman responsible?
As of now yes. I don't think many Indians have won Oscars & stood there amidst firangis spoken in Tamil.

Besides it's not about being above someone. He has given us amzing songs, he has been appreciated by the foreign community, he has been awarded an honor that many dream but can/will never acheive. The least we can do to show our appreciation is let me of a couple of taxes.

If you're so tax conscious go catch the politicians & businessmen who evade taxes, not 2 people who otherwise are tax payers. But in rare occasion are exempt for they brought us glory.

(your comments appal me.)²

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
If the government wants to honor him or give him money in form of a award as a recognition of his achievement its acceptable, but giving tax exemption to one citizen over another is not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post

Because they don't get any benefits you will hold Rahman responsible?

so u feel Rahman's contribution is above that of all these people ? .....the government is giving tax sops to Rehman and not them....you are justifying it what else can it mean ???

I would be happy if Govt shows gesture in form of Bharath Ratna to rehaman....he is a true achiever but different standards for different people is not good. And to clarify its the government which is acting stupid....not Rehaman....he never asked for tax sop, so no point bashing him.

amitash

Intel OCer
It is stupid thing the govt is doing...Yes I agree he has given alot for the country and stuff but that does not mean you should exempt him from taxes...India is supposed to be a secular country where no one, no matter what their achievement is above anyone else...ergo in our country the poorest begger has equal rights as mr. rahman, so it is unfair for the govt to exempt him from taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom