Tablets should support multiple OSes.

Anand kumar

Broken In
Nowadays,for tablets,either the software and hardware manufacturers are the same(like apple ipad) or there are tie-ups between 2 companies(like in samsung) and as a result all of them are coming preloaded with OSes.I think tablets should support multiple OSes which can be removed and reinstalled as required like in regular pcs.May be their current hardware specs maynot allow support for another OS.But I am sure multi-OS tablets are the next trend.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm the big publishers push content on all platforms, the best publishers push content on one platform (iOS ofc, on rare occasions just fire, or just arc)
now dual OS on tabs will help only if an app from one OS runs better than a comparable app from another OS... currently this is simply not the case, Asphalt, doodle jump, angry birds... and even unknown titles such as orbital are exactly as good on the iOS/ Symbian/Bella/Bada as they are on the Android... as its the hardware and not the ecosystem that decides the performance. So more or less the OS on apps is a superficial difference, the only place where it does have an impact is the checkout system. so basically, what you are demanding is that all tab marketplaces allow you to check out applications from competing marketplaces... totally agree with that, that is something you would expect from your tab it was any other thing, you can use any powder in your washing machine, or pay for steam on your desktop... in which case ppl wud prolly buy the same app from the droid marketplace than the iOS
the fault is actually with android, iOS is a walled garden from the ground up, android.. for an open ecosystem, its pretty pathetic that droids force you to use google checkout, which prevents some service providers from billing for the apps

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This is not happening anytime soon. And I really donot think Apple would let anyone else use their OS. If it does happen would be good. We will not have to purchase each application twice on different operating system or get seperate iTunes type syncing software for different devices.

OP
A

Anand kumar

Broken In
@anorion Apps cant be the only reason for using tablets.We can think of it as a desktop or notebook replacement.nowadays,most proffesionals are shifting from these to tablets because of the more portability factor.so when they are shifting from say a notebook which has multiple OSes,they will want the same in tablets.

@thetechfreak Ya...Never will apple give their os to be put in some other devices.But the fact is that multi os tablets are present already but not with major companies.thats it.

R2K

In the Zone
There is no way apple will let their OS run their OS on something other than Apple ipad.
So I don't think it will ever be possible.

sarthak

In the zone
There is no way apple will let their OS run their OS on something other than Apple ipad.
So I don't think it will ever be possible.

We can still have multi-boot of Android and Windows 8. And Apple might now allow iOS on other devices but it might be possible to run Android or Windows 8 on iPad. Also there can be something like Hackintosh for iOS. However I think the day for this is really far............

OP
A

Anand kumar

Broken In
We can still have multi-boot of Android and Windows 8. And Apple might now allow iOS on other devices but it might be possible to run Android or Windows 8 on iPad. Also there can be something like Hackintosh for iOS. However I think the day for this is really far............

Yeah what u said is right.But the day to this is not very far.infact multi-os tablets have already taken birth.eg-smartvQ7 tablet with android and linux.and I think the leading companies would also come to this area very soon.

Top Bottom