system hangs and doesn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

callmeastha

Broken In
i have a compaq pc with windows XP installed on it.whenever i turn it on it doesn't start but instead gives a strange and continuous sound(without any error message) that goes on till i switch off from the mains. when i switch it on again it hangs either on the screen that says "COMPAQ press tab to view post screen and F10 to enter setup" or on the screen that follows. also it asks me to select if i want to start in safe mode normally etc.(same as the screen that comes on pressing F EIGHT) . once it hangs i have to switch it off from the mains again.sometimes,while restarting in safe mode it gets stuck on a file named agp440.sys. even if i am able to go into safe mode it hangs. please note that prior to this problem i have not installed any program or made any significant changes to my pc. please help.
has this got anything to do with the fact that my system restore doen't work i.e. it remembers restore points only on the day they have been made and forgets them thereafter. so everytime i go to it it says no restore point available.

hope you can help. thanks

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
reseat ur graphic card. and if it is inbuilt then tough luck. the problem seems to be with the graphic hardware.

vandit

In the zone
1.) remove ur RAM and clean it with a dry cloth or eraser.....and then fix it firmly....
2.) check the smps if working or not....
3.)check the HDD cables and connectors and fix them firmly.....

If this doesnt help contact ur vendor..:D

Stalker

Padawan
reseat & clean ur ram & gfx card, chk whether all cables are attached tightly
if its under service period, call the support centre..

47shailesh

Security Exp
note the beeps that is either they r 3contineos short beep or 2short one long or just long beep and then google u will get h\w that is bothering you...
it can be BIOS failure ,gfx failure etc ONLY BEEP SEQUENCE WILL DETERMINE THE CORRECT REASON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom