SUSE linux?? problem for me???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUKHI99

never forgot your roots!
Hi Friends!
I have a big problem regarding SuSe 10.0 I am using Windows and I also want to use LINUX so i choose SuSe b'coz i heard that it is best. some time ago i installed suse that time it works better but then i remove it. But now the problem is that with me Now When ever i tried to install suse 10.0 it gave me a strange problem It is installed completely on my pc but when it reboot after installation nothing happen . after installation it shows me a X shape pointer and there is a black screen on my monitor the pointer does show any movement???? and i have to shut down my pc and remove the SuSe. i have tried it five times??? But it works perfectely by installiong virtually using vmware!!!!!!!

My configuration is
Pentium 4 2.67 GHz
Intel D101GGC motherboard
512 DDR
SATA 80GB
Samsung 591s sync master (15 inch monitor)

plz help me regard this ?????????
and also tell me should i try SuSe10.2
i'm wating:( :( :( :( :confused: :confused:

Pathik

Google Bot
hehe graphic driver error.. U need to edit etc/xorg.conf and specify display driver as vesa.. Search this forum 4 "VESA" and u ll know more

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
That mobo has some problems with linux, as of what I've heard. But, do give Suse 10.2 a try. It has an updated kernel and might work well.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Try this...

1) Restart
2) Boot into "Failsafe" mode
3) login as root
4) SaX2
5) Configure your video settings
6) Reboot

Enjoy.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
SUKHI99 said:
Hi Friends!
I have a big problem regarding SuSe 10.0 I am using Windows and I also want to use LINUX so i choose SuSe b'coz i heard that it is best. some time ago i installed suse that time it works better but then i remove it. But now the problem is that with me Now When ever i tried to install suse 10.0 it gave me a strange problem It is installed completely on my pc but when it reboot after installation nothing happen . after installation it shows me a X shape pointer and there is a black screen on my monitor the pointer does show any movement???? and i have to shut down my pc and remove the SuSe. i have tried it five times??? But it works perfectely by installiong virtually using vmware!!!!!!!

My configuration is
Pentium 4 2.67 GHz
Intel D101GGC motherboard
512 DDR
SATA 80GB
Samsung 591s sync master (15 inch monitor)

plz help me regard this ?????????
and also tell me should i try SuSe10.2
i'm wating:( :( :( :( :confused: :confused:
Don't know about Suse 10.0 but 10.2 will work absolutely fine on that mobo coz I use the same mobo as you can see from my signature.

When I first installed Open Suse 10.2 I had removed my Nvidia graphics card (coz I did not want to go thru a lengthly process at that time to search & download the Nvidia drivers) and it worked fine on D101Ggc mobo and it automatically recognised the ATI drivers with just the installation DVD.

But now I've reloaded 10.2 with my NVidia graphics card went thru a lenghy process and downloaded the drivers AND am proudly running BERYL on the system...absolutely beautiful.

S

SE><IE

Isn't Suse paid? Well, I got my hands on a 10/- DVD (suse 10.1) from nehru palace. say wat?

mehulved

SE><IE said:
Isn't Suse paid? Well, I got my hands on a 10/- DVD (suse 10.1) from nehru palace. say wat?
nope suse isn't paid as such. Opensuse is totally free but in SLED you have to pay only if you want updates beyond 60 days and support.

OP
S

SUKHI99

never forgot your roots!
tech_your_future said:
I guess it will also require fglrx drivers since the onboard video is from ATI.

Hi! freinds
I am new in linux so plz tell me what is fglrx drivers & from where i can get????
THNX for reply:p :p :p

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi
I suggest you do the following:
1. When you get the black x press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a teminal (black screen with white alphabets)
2. There type root and press enter, and then type your root password and press enter
3. At the prompt, type
ps -U root
and press enter
4. Look for the line which looks something like this
3195 tty7 00:00:31 X

This is your X server which is hanging. The first four digit number will be different in your pc.
5. Now if that four digit number (also called the process id or pid) is 1234 in your pc, type
kill 1234
and press enter. This will kill the X server.
6. Now at prompt type
yast
and press enter
7. The yast module will now open. It looks somewhat like the dos version of Norton Disk Doctor. You will have to use your tab key to switch between left and right panes, your arrow keys to move up and down, and your enter key to double click, and your spacebar to tick/untick any checkboxes you might require.
8. Go to hardware-> Graphics card and monitor
and configure both your graphics card and monitor. There is an option available to test your settings before you save. This option is given in the install of Open SuSE too. You must have clicked next, next, next, finish while installing, without bothering to read :p
9. After you save your settings you can type
startx
and press enter. This should start the graphical mode.

Let me know if you have any trouble

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Manshahia said:
Wats the difference BTW Sled and Open Suse?

SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop) is a commercial Linux from Novell, which contains a lot of proprietary apps, has technical support, comes in attractive package with user manuals.

OpenSUSE is the free version of Novell's linux which does not have proprietary apps out of the box, has community support, you need to download and burn CD or DVD images to install it and PDF user manuals are available.

Both of them are similar if not same and if you are willing to do the extra work and have a good speed you can add SUSE repos and get the features of SLED in OpenSUSE as well (Except tech support and a few paid softwares).

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Wats the cost of Sled??
If someone burns a copy of SLED and distributes among his friends, will it b called as Pirated??

mehulved

Manshahia said:
Wats the cost of Sled??
Check novell's site
Manshahia said:
If someone burns a copy of SLED and distributes among his friends, will it b called as Pirated??
nope cos you pay for support and updates. This is not MS where you even have to pay for the OS. You can very well use SLED without paying for it. But it just doesn't make sense for me as to why use SLED over OpenSUSE. I have tried SLED but don't see anything better.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Manshahia said:
Wats the cost of Sled??

A one year subscription of SLED would cost you about $ 50 ~ Rs. 2350

I don't think it would be called pirates as ts available for download too. You won't have the support and updates after a certain number of days, in this case.

OP
S

SUKHI99

never forgot your roots!
Hi friends!!
i tried all your suggestions but the problem is there??
when i tried to acces my Monitor by BASH RUN of SuSe it is give me screen as if monitor testing i.e., a box with "Hz ?" appears and nothing happens.
i also can not get "four digits 7tty" and so on.is there any solution for it???
Or should i buy SuSe 10.2.plz help me regard this.
i'm waiting for your reply:confused: :confused: :confused:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
SUKHI99 said:
Hi friends!!
...... acces my Monitor by BASH RUN of SuSe it is give me screen as if monitor testing i.e., a box with "Hz ?" appears......... can not get "four digits 7tty" and so on.is there any solution for it???

Setting up linux can require a lot of patience, I can't imagine what you mean by can't get the 4 digits. When you run the ps -U root command you will get a list of processes and one of them is X.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Manshahia said:
Wats the cost of Sled??

Using repository you can install Enterprise apps in your OpenSuSE installation. They won't charge for updates. Only you won't get the enterprise support from Novell. If you are a home user, that's not required also. But, if you install Enterprise Linux from a copy of its DVD, you may not be able to the updates legally, as it won't accept you as a lisenced user to make your copy registered with Novell server. So, updates won't be available.
But, using Open SuSE you can install Enterprise apps and can update them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom