Surfing Internet from Moving Trains - Gets Clearance from ISRO.

d3p

PowerHouse
Initially the free internet surfing proposal was a big hit in the railway platforms & now they gave gone ahead.

NEW DELHI: Surfing the internet in trains without using data card seems to be a distinct possibility now as the Railways have got the much-awaited clearance from space agency ISRO for using the satellite for the purpose.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has given the clearance for using the frequency from KU band for using the satellite for internet, said a senior Railway Ministry official, adding it will be for the first time that internet will be operational in moving trains through satellite.

Though Railways had proposed two years back to provide internet in trains, the project could not take off due to the absence of ISRO clearence

"ISRO's clearance for using frequency from satellite for internet is mandatory. Now that we have got the clearance, work on the project will commence soon," said the official.

As per the proposal, three rakes of Howrah Rajdhani will be uplinked with satellite for facilitating internet in coaches on a pilot basis.

Since it is a pilot project the internet service will not be charged from the passengers, said the official.

Railways have sanctioned Rs 6.30 crore for providing internet facility in Howrah Rajdhani. The work will be executed by a Mumbai-based company.

Now custom-made antenna will be installed on the locomotives of the train and coaches will be linked through Wi-Fi Connectivity , he said.

According to the procedure to be followed, passenger will get a password in his mobile phone after dialling a number given by the TTE. The passenger can make the internet operational with the use of the password.

Nice Job.

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
the only thing which suck here is

According to the procedure to be followed, passenger will get a password in his mobile phone after dialling a number given by the TTE. The passenger can make the internet operational with the use of the password.

Imagine, after dialing the number given by TTE doesn't pick or busy, which is mostly happening in Indian Railway Helpline.

This could have been better, if the login & password credentials were generated while booking the TICKETS either online or through booking counter.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I hope they don't screw this up! This is a nice prospect.

Also, they would have to take care of power socket first. AFAIK, they don't provide power sockets on each seat. But they do only in AC compartments. And if any device is to use WiFi, it sure needs some power backup for a journey that encompasses about a day to complete. Or that's the only thing I am concerned about :lol:

Anyway.. good initiative.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
In Hyd Airport i was waiting to get the Log in details on my cell. they never sent it.
If thats the case in an airport
God knows what will the case be in railways

Good Speed= :D :D :D

Top Bottom