Suggestions to buy a SSD for 8-9k

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I want to buy a 120/128GB SSD to upgrade my laptop, my budget is around 8-9k. I'm new to SSD's, so I'm not sure which one to get. also could anyone point out a reliable online retailer, I found out Onlyssd, which has the most number of choices and reasonable pricing. has anyone used this site before?

ritwiksondhi

Journeyman
I want to buy a 120/128GB SSD to upgrade my laptop, my budget is around 8-9k. I'm new to SSD's, so I'm not sure which one to get. also could anyone point out a reliable online retailer, I found out Onlyssd, which has the most number of choices and reasonable pricing. has anyone used this site before?

I haven't used the site to order anything but it is backed by Prime ABGB which is a very trusted brand. Regarding SSD, there are many options as according to your budget. Forum guys here might provide you specific models but as I read you'll be using it to upgrade your laptop, my suggestion would be to get a Hybrid drive like Seagate Momentus XT Hard Drive which performs 80% better than normal hard drives and cost less than SSDs.
You can get 500gb version for Rs.7000-8000 from ebay.in or Junglee.com (Amazon India) or you can even ask local dealer for it. These drives provide great value for money for laptops.

OP
dan4u

dan4u

Took Off!!!
thanks for the suggestion, but I don't need more space, I'll be using the existing 1TB hdd as a secondary drive and install it in the place of the optical disc drive. I'll be using the ssd for OS and frequently used applications. and prices on onlyssd are mostly less than that in PrimeABGB,i wonder why that is so, but its reliable I guess.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
onlyssd was hacked a week ago and left unattended through the weekend. But its owned by Prime.

My recommendation is Crucial M4.

OP
dan4u

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ hacked?? so is it not safe to buy from there now? Crucial M4 is really reliable, not a bad choice at all, but I just saw Corsair Force Series GT 180GB for Rs 9599 on onlyssd, any ideas on the Corsair Force Series GT series.......

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Corsair GT series is fine.Had some issues but were fixed with a firmware.
Need better performance with reliability then Samsung 830 128GB at 9k is a very viable option.Samsung 840 at 8k is ok but has poor write performance but that won't matter to many as generally people do more reading than writing.For using it as an application and OS drive write speed would hardly matter.
If performance matters I would say Samsung 830,has all round performance and reliability.If you need more storage then force gt 180GB.

OP
dan4u

dan4u

Took Off!!!
the Corsair GT is out of stock, but the Corsair 180GB Force 3 is in stock for 8.7k, it uses MLC Asynchronous NAND type, its not as fast as the GT series but I don't think I'll notice the difference......no e-retailer has proper stocks...

kapilove77

Padawan
Get ocz vertex 4 cuz it's very good n i also purchased from there only and 1 more members bought from there. You can trust that site eyes closed even you can see my review there.

OP
dan4u

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Check with MD Computers. Check their website.
thanks for the suggestion, but most models are out of stock

Get Crucial M4 128GB.

Buy from primeabgb main site.
thanks but onlyssd is a sister site of primeabgb, I wonder why they made a separate site for SSD's

Get ocz vertex 4 cuz it's very good n i also purchased from there only and 1 more members bought from there. You can trust that site eyes closed even you can see my review there.

Thank God there's at least someone who has used this site, I was also going for ocz vertex 4 initially but for ~1k more I could get a 180 GB model, so I decided to get the Corsair 180GB Force 3. either way my laptop has a SATA II interface, so I'll not be able to fully utilize any of today's SATA III ssd's.

also could you tell me how long they take to ship and which courier company they use? I only got an e-mail from them saying that my payment was successful. the order history or transaction page has not been updated, that's weird :-?

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Force 3 performs comparable with force gt.Only thing is that it doesn't have good incompressible data write speed due to asynchronous memory.Otherwise it is fine.

OP
dan4u

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Force 3 performs comparable with force gt.Only thing is that it doesn't have good incompressible data write speed due to asynchronous memory.Otherwise it is fine.

yep that's what I found out too, but any ssd would be better than my current hdd :wink:.....

kapilove77

Padawan
hmm i email them after 1 day n they emailed back me track number. It's like i ordered on 14th oct (on my bday :D) and got my hands on 17th or 18 if i remember correctly. :D

Top Bottom