Suggestions for download manager

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am using flashget(older 1.7x version) & jdownloader(again older portable version) for years & never felt the need for anything else.IDM is good for average/moderate users but since most use "ahem" version it kind of defeats the whole point since average users are also very vulnerable to risks of using "ahem" version of software.

Chetan1991

Youngling
IDM is pretty good but the stupid update dialog box is annoying. If you click it by mistake, you've to reinstall, because "ahem".

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
newer is not always better(nero comes to mind,orbit was classified as virus after ESET found a hidden DDoS tool in one of their update & there is no independent confirmation if it is removed in latest versions: Orbital Decay: the dark side of a popular file downloading tool ).flashget 1.7x works fine for me & why not.download manager basic principle is same over years & the only noticeable change/update occurs with regards to download from video streaming sites for which no download manager is a match to jdownloader.

.jRay.

Youngling
Idm is the best. I sometimes get more speed that what i pay for.. I pay for a 1Mbps connection and occasionally get 800kBps downloading speed.

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
Idm is the best. I sometimes get more speed that what i pay for.. I pay for a 1Mbps connection and occasionally get 800kBps downloading speed.
Isn't the bandwidth limit controlled at the ISP's end? As far as I deduce, the ISPs provide only the specified bandwidth to you, nothing more. It might be something related to the PC. Not sure about that.
Maybe, something similar to the download managers showing excessive speeds during the initial few seconds of the download. Is that the speed the network adapter is providing, probably after a delay, which shows the excessive speeds.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

i dont think it is possible. you might see 800KBps, but the speed may be too low just before you see 800 KBps and then get a bump to high speed and dont think it is actually 800KBps.

.jRay.

Youngling
Isn't the bandwidth limit controlled at the ISP's end? As far as I deduce, the ISPs provide only the specified bandwidth to you, nothing more. It might be something related to the PC. Not sure about that.
Maybe, something similar to the download managers showing excessive speeds during the initial few seconds of the download. Is that the speed the network adapter is providing, probably after a delay, which shows the excessive speeds.

Maybe the isp does it by mistake, but speed was never this high on utorrent. And it wasn't for a few seconds. It was constantly between 700-800 KBps throught the download.

i dont think it is possible. you might see 800KBps, but the speed may be too low just before you see 800 KBps and then get a bump to high speed and dont think it is actually 800KBps.

Its was around 800KBps

1.2 gb file was downloaded within minutes. Normally it takes 3-4 hrs on my regular 1mbps connection.

Update:

It was that high for some hours before it went back to normal.

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
Update:

This tells us the answer. Perhaps some ISP side issue. Even here, BSNL lifts off the FUP every now and then, and then after a few hours(sometimes a whole day too :p) speed returns back to specified post FUP speeds.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Maybe the isp does it by mistake, but speed was never this high on utorrent. And it wasn't for a few seconds. It was constantly between 700-800 KBps throught the download.

Its was around 800KBps

1.2 gb file was downloaded within minutes. Normally it takes 3-4 hrs on my regular 1mbps connection.

Update:

wow lucky you :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe the isp allows local peering sometimes which provides very high download speed for torrents seeded by someone in local network of isp but it is only possible for cable broadband.

kaz

right here
Many suggested EagleGet here. I grabbed it and yes its minimal yet functional. But, downloading youtube videos in certain resolution like 420p is a pain. I need to download audio and video separately and mix them later, ok cool I did that. But why would I do so when IDM downloads video(with audio) in just the size of video downloaded through EagleGet. Saves my precious time and data too :)

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
for youtube videos, this one is good. : 4k Video Downloader
specially its smart mode.
has ads, but the interface is minimal

- - - Updated - - -

My steam sometime downloads at some 100 Terabyte per socond.

only fibre optics would allow such speed, AFAIK.

high speeds also happen with me, but only upto 10-11 MegaBytes per second. that is due o local seeding (applicable to local Cable- ISPs)

kaz

right here
for youtube videos, this one is good. : 4k Video Downloader
specially its smart mode.
has ads, but the interface is minimal
Its good but I wish I could keep adding videos and it downloaded them one by one...Like the scheduler in IDM....There should be option to limit the simultaneous downloads, still its good...
Thanks [MENTION=113025]mastercool8695[/MENTION]

aswin1

Journeyman
If you want to download from sites like rapidshare or uploaded Mipony is nice alternative though you should be careful not to install adware
with it.

Top Bottom