Suggestion for Processor & Motherboard Upgrade

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I use my computer only for light work, songs and watching movies. At times, i encode a movie clip from one codec to another so as to watch it on my mobile.

I only play Zynga games like Farmville and Cityville. As I have been playing these games for over an year, the games contain a lot many things which now my PC finds difficult to handle.

I want to upgrade Processor, Motherboard and RAM as i use a P4, gigabyte 81915 board with 512MB RAM. I am using Windows XP SP3. I will upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional. I prefer Intel processors and not having money at present to go for a costly upgrade.

I read a suggestion in Digit for i3 processor. I don't know the basic difference between i3 & i5. So I am unable to decide which one to buy. :?::?::?:

Please give me suggestion for the same

Cilus

laborare est orare
Let us know your budget 1st. But one generic suggestion...If you are in a tight budget then AMD is a better choice.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
my outside limit is INR 20,000. I have come to know that Intel i3 2100 will be good for my work and i need not upgrade for next 2-3 years. Is is ok? Thanks a lot friends.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
my outside limit is INR 20,000. I have come to know that Intel i3 2100 will be good for my work and i need not upgrade for next 2-3 years. Is is ok? Thanks a lot friends.
Fill this template and post again: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html

Because we need to know what all you want in your budget.

Core i5 2400 @9.5k
Intel DH67CL @6.5k
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL @2.5k

Total --> 18.5k

Even an AMD system will be enough for your needs but since you don't wanna go that way... the above config will be okay.

I don't know the basic difference between i3 & i5.

i3 --> dual core
i5 --> quad core

Last edited:
OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: General apps like ms office, internet surfing, listening music, watching movie and playing online zynga games

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 20,000 preferably within 15,000

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 Home Premium

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1TB ( have planned to purchase seagate barracuda 1tb approx. price 2700)

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Already using Dell in2020M at 1280 X 768 with onboard graphics.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 3

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Yes and will assemble it on my own

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: within 15 days

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes (may be for next 2-3 years only)

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Cabinet, Power Supply, HDD, Optical Drive, Monitor, UPS

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Lucknow, yes

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I will not be playing any PC games in the future as well and will use the PC for general purpose work only (plus online zynga games)

rohitshakti2

In the zone
Get this:

AMD X3 440 / X4 635
Gigabyte 880GM UD3H mobo
500 GB Seagate
LG 22x DVD RW
Dell 2020M monitor
2 GB DDR-III Corsair Ram
Cabinet Bijli with 350 w FSP Saga II

If you want to save money, get some other LCD monitor, but Dell is better. You can also get 785 mobo for Rs.3200/- instead of 880g UD3H which is for Rs.5500/-

Get this:

AMD X3 440 / X4 635
Gigabyte 880GM UD3H mobo
500 GB Seagate
LG 22x DVD RW
Dell 2020M monitor
2 GB DDR-III Corsair Ram
Cabinet Bijli with 350 w FSP Saga II

If you want to save money, get some other LCD monitor, but Dell is better. You can also get 785 mobo for Rs.3200/- instead of 880g UD3H which is for Rs.5500/-

He just needs proccy, mobo, ram.

I agree he doesn't need SB or even a quad-core AMD but if he wants to spend money then ...

Phenom II X4 955 BE @6.6k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @4.3k
Corsair Value 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz @2.2k

Total --> 13.1k

Or else he can go for the best system according to his needs and not what he wants to shell out...

Athlon II X3 440 @3.3k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @4.3k
Corsair Value 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz @2.2k

Total --> 9.8k

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
@vidhubhushan go for phenom config..

btw r u just looking for processor, motherboard and ram in 20k??

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yes, OP doesnt require a QUAD core though, but as it fits his buget, then why should he neglect it.
By the way, none of you observed that he uses an old P4 system. That means a sure generic and weak PSU. That will not be able to handle current dual, triple and quad cores. So, he also has to change the PSU too.
OP can go for this:
* CPU: AMD Athlon IIx4 640 -- 4.5k
* MoBo: GA 880GM UD2H -- 4.2k
* RAM: Corasir 4GB DDR3 -- 2.4k
* PSU: FSP SAGA II 350W -- 1.5k
Total ---- 12.6k

But as you are upgrading almost all the parts, so why should you leave back a good cabby.
* Zebronics Bijli -- 1k
Total --- 13.6k

* CM Elite 310 -- 1.5k
Total -- 14.1k

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Thanks a lot friends for the information. I am really grateful to al of you for the contribution and specially for thinking of my budget n giving me suggestion in even half of it that will be good for me.

I use Zebronic Shangrilla and a zeb 400 watt Plus (20 + 4 pin) power supply purchased around 1 1/2 years back. It has got 2 fans, one can be switched on/off and the other in front of processor that starts when it is hot. isn't that will be sufficient?

What about new i3 2100 processor?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ just change the PSU to a FSP Saga II 350/400W @ 1.5/1.8k. availability maybe a bit of problem if you are not open to buying online but trust me, its better to use 1 PSU for 3-5yrs rather than changing a blown up PSU every yr.

Piyush

Lanaya
yup
just change that PSU to FSP 350W @1.5k if you have no plans for graphic card in future
and if yes, then go for FSP II saga 500W @ 2.2k

new SB i series is good
but will overshoot your budget

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
thanks a lot Sam and Piyush for the info. do you think my current PSU (zebronic 400 watt) will not be suitable as it is used for around 7-8 months only and at present i am using another old one since last one year as there was a problem in it and i got it repaired (under warranty).

no, buying online is not a problem with me. i do that though not very frequently.

FSP is a brand name or something else?

Piyush

Lanaya
FSP is a PSU manufacturer
you can use your old PSU but we vcant assure you that will it be safe or not
Power supply should not be neglected in any case

I would still recommend you to go for FSP

MegaMind

Human Spambot
@OP never compromise on PSU... get a good PSU to avoid burnt procy or mobo....

Component | Model | Price Processor | Phenom II X4 955 BE | 6.5k
Motherboard | Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H | 4.2k
RAM | Corsair Value 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz | 2.2k
PSU | FSP saga II 500W | 2.2k
Total | | 15.1K

Top Bottom