Suggest me a Hosting Package for my Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I'm looking for a hosting solution for my blog.

CPU usage:
The blog gets moderate Traffic. Sometimes around 250+ visitors at the same time. This is the biggest issue. Not all the time, the traffic is high and this sometimes makes shared hosting worthless.

Monthly Bandwidth:
6-9 GB a month.

Space is not an issue. I won't need more than 75 MB a year.

Now do you think I need a VPS hosting or a shared one will do?

Shared host people force us to register for 12 months or we need to pay some $40 setup fees. VPS on the other hand charge $20 a month and I'll not in a position to afford that much.

Should I go for a shared host or a VPS? Also suggest a good corresponding Host provider.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Dont waste money for VPS.
Better buy a shared hosting.

Because with blog you will also have tension of maintaing server.leave server issue ..and just concentrate on bloging.

Before you choose any host, must ask these:
1) server configuration, and location, and IP.
2) Uptime gurantee.
3) Money back for life time: will you retuen money for month on which site is not up for 99.9% .

4) Features, restriction.
5) Are you overselling??
6)Back Up-->> Will U keep my backup??
7) Pricing.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
I will have to disagree with Ravi here, your traffic of so many simultaneous is not fine for shared hosting.

What i suggest is that you go for a VPS powered with HiB or HostinaBox. IT is powered with a free Control Panel LXAdmin. Now LXadmin runs with Lighttpd....perfect for high traffic sites. Even Youtube and some parts of Wikipedia run on Lighttpd.

One of the Major Memory culprits is Apache. Go for a VPS powered by Lxadmin and you will be fine :)

A VPS with 128MB guaranteed RAM should be enough with 256 Burst. I have friend running a forum with more 200000 uniques a month on a 256MB perfectly :)

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Can you guys provide hosting for me?

ravi_9793 -
I like to go for Shared hosting as it's cheap, no server maintenance and I don't really get that high traffic. On an average, it's around 150-175k pageviews.

You really think my blog will have no issues with shared hosting?

Sukhdeep Singh -
Lxadmin *lxlabs.com/store/ seems to be cheap, Just $8 a month?! I'll definitely go for it. But so many options over there? And is it reliable?

Also guys, if I go for VPS, would it be difficult to maintain it?

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
What is your traffic levels and BW? How about CPU usage?

I have problems with CPU overload at times. That's the reason I'm considering VPS.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Lxadmin *lxlabs.com/store/ seems to be cheap, Just $8 a month?! I'll definitely go for it. But so many options over there? And is it reliable?

LoL, i know but that aint the real price :D It is made by Indians aswell so you know Lazyness LOL;)

Actually, the VPS are provided using two Virtualization Management Tools, Either HyperVM or Virtuazzzo. Since Virtuazzo is quite expensive, more than 80% VPS providers use HyperVM.

HyperVM is also developed by LxLabs and therefore LXADMIN comes free with all VPS :) The Effective rate per VPS for the provider is 50 Cents per VPS
More here:*lxlabs.com/software/hypervm/promotion/

I do have a small VPS running a high traffic website, but it is not reached its MAX. If you want to, i can offer you a Trial of LXADMIN until you are satisfied. :)

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
I would suggest that you chat with hostgator sales support team and get an idea whether they will be able to sustain your website or not.
Also ask them for their AUP.
Dreamhost and hostgator are the two hosts I know of that will be able to support a high traffic website such as yours.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Dreamhost has few troublesome servers but rest are fine.
Hostgator has good reviews all over the net.
So if you are getting good service you don't care whether they oversell or not...
And any source that they oversell?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Can you guys provide hosting for me?

ravi_9793 -
I like to go for Shared hosting as it's cheap, no server maintenance and I don't really get that high traffic. On an average, it's around 150-175k pageviews.

You really think my blog will have no issues with shared hosting?

yes for sure.
there are many who are running site on shared.
I have my own 5 sites....all running very smoothly.

Mine own forum...
this digit forum..all running so smoothly.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Want me to link you to hundreds of threads half positive, half negative.

600Gigs of space for 7$....do anyone need proof of overselling. Try to use those "resources" and you will sooon find out what i mean :)

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
^^LOL everyone knows that you don't get 600gigs of space or 6000gigs of bandwidth.Its just a marketing gimmick that is followed by almost all the big hosting companies.
1% of that is enough for almost all users.
And that is why I said ask for their AUP before buying.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
this digit forum..all running so smoothly.

You sure, Digit is running from shared ? :confused: . Reverse Shows me 4 sites running from Digit server
1) logistics20.com 2) skoar.com
3) thinkdigit.com
4) typei.com

So they most likely running of a Dedicated :)

^^LOL everyone knows that you don't get 600gigs of space or 6000gigs of bandwidth.Its just a marketing gimmick.
1% of that is enough for almost all users.
And that is why I said ask for their AUP before buying.

Not everyone bro, come to webhosting forums and you will see thousands crying about it. Its not matter of we use it or not, its matter, we should get what we paid for :)

Human being is possessive once he know that he should be getting it, he will get it whether he needs it not ;)

Last edited:

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Not everyone bro, come to webhosting forums and you will see thousands crying about it. Its not matter of we use it or not, its matter, we should get what we paid for :)

Human being is possessive once he know that he should be getting it, he will get it whether he needs it not ;)

Anybody wanting to use more than 1-2% of those resources is a fool knowing before buying that it is shared hosting.
Anyway why are we fighting over it...Let ashwin decide what he wants :)

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Anybody wanting to use more than 1-2% of those resources is a fool knowing before buying that it is shared hosting.
Anyway why are we fighting over it...Let ashwin decide what he wants :)

I agree with you but that you are making a assumption here bro :) For what i have noticed after being on Webhosting Communities for such a long time is that people are caught unware of the fact. Once thier blog and forum start growing...BOOOOM! and their account suspended. This is where People get worried, how to get the data out old host and moved. Anywayz, it is a long talk :)

Let Ashwin decide for sure :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
You sure, Digit is running from shared ? :confused: . Reverse Shows me 4 sites running from Digit server
1) logistics20.com 2) skoar.com
3) thinkdigit.com
4) typei.com

So they most likely running of a Dedicated :)

some where I got that ..Digit is running on Znet server.
May be running on dedicated.

But do U think a site with need 10 GB bandwidth must need a dedicated server or VPS???Cant it run fine on a shared hosting???

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

By tomorrow night I want to finish shifting my blog to a new host. Hopefully I make a good decision by that point of time.

HyperVM is also developed by LxLabs and therefore LXADMIN comes free with all VPS :) The Effective rate per VPS for the provider is 50 Cents per VPS
More here:*lxlabs.com/software/hypervm/promotion/

I do have a small VPS running a high traffic website, but it is not reached its MAX. If you want to, i can offer you a Trial of LXADMIN until you are satisfied. :)
I'm a noob and I don't understand the 50c per VPS thing. How much would I've to pay every month?

How much will you charge per Month for the VPS? Also you sure that both the sites can take the load?

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
some where I got that ..Digit is running on Znet server.
May be running on dedicated.

But do U think a site with need 10 GB bandwidth must need a dedicated server or VPS???Cant it run fine on a shared hosting???

Ah! But with the amount of Simultaneous logins and SQL running on Digit at one time i am pretty sure, they must of on a Dedicated.

Yes, Ravi :) Its not about the Bandwidth or space at all if you ask me. Since Ashwin is asking here, i think his current hosts must have contacted him about the CPU and Memory usage shooting up at some times.

The Amount of SQL and CPU load must be quite high, unfit for shared environement, reason for people to move to VPS or Dedi at one point. :)

I'm a noob and I don't understand the 50c per VPS thing. How much would I've to pay every month?

How much will you charge per Month for the VPS? Also you sure that both the sites can take the load?

LXAdmin are not VPS providers, they just make Control Panel called LxAdmin which runs of most VPS like cPanel.

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I'd like to add a few things here.
Digit definitely has high CPU load. There is NO WAY it can run on a shared server, unless ofcourse it hosts its own sites, say 4-5 on one good configured dedicated. And as the reverse lookup done above, that seems to be the very case.

@Doctor:
Well, I just wanted to say something.
As far as hosting is concerned, it is never really perfectly possible to guess/predict the usage levels of your site on a shared server. The reason is simple. Consider 100 users on site "A" reading post after another, making searches on and on and reading. Now consider site "B" which as 1000 users, but they are just there to read one post. They read it and leave. Which site do you think will have more usage ?

I'd suggest, if its not much of a strain, to ask your current host for a log of your usage levels. Also, using an analytics script, see if you can judge the behavior of your visitors, like how much time they spend on the site and such.
Now, I know this is a little too much work for one, but you should be really sure before changing hosts. Right ?

As per my opinion, if you have a good budget, I'd say go for a fully managed VPS solution. See if you can find 2-3 more guys to share it. With a fully managed thing, you'll just have to take care of your blog :)

One more thing...
DO NOT choose a host seeing the bandwidth it provides.

Regards,
Preshit

Just to add, I was thinking of moving my blog too. My servers are seeing the spikes lately :) Doing a good job so far, but lets hope for the best.

I know there have been some ugly reviews of (mt), but I've seen a lot of sites ( specially blogs ) being hosted with them. Heck, even TC is their client.
I might just give them a try...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom