Suggest Digicam 12k - 15k

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
ok now the black ones :D

Very slow flash recycle - takes time to ready the flash for next shot...I think u r right that if we dont use flash then camera will take less time...but this can be clarified by a user itself

An aperture value effect the low light performance...0.1 will not make much effect

u will need HDMI cables to view HD videos recorded by your cam...I think AV cable can not stream HD videos

no Idea about battery indicator:)

Thanks a lot Sujoy. :)

So, I am right about flash recycle.

Now I understand. Nikon P300 got the best AV of 1.8 (Rest all in the range of 3.1-3.5) among that pool of 12 cameras. And it has the best low light performance (Source: The link given by aniket.cain)

OK. This is why people were saying no HDMI output is a con.

Lets hear it from the owner of SX130 about that low battery indication.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
wow P300 have f1.8-4.5 aperture value....very good indeed :) whats the price of this

MRP is 14950/-
Best price we could get around 13000/-

There are some plus against SX130

Better f.no of 1.8 against 3.4;
Higher resolution of 921k against 230k;
Wider angle of 24mm against 28mm;
1 f-stop better;
High speed movies @ 120fps;
Better continuous shooting mode of 7fps against 1fps;
Better flash range of 6m against 3m;
HDMI Output;
Full HD vs HD;
Lighter, Smaller and Thinner;
CMOS against CCD;
Finally, Li-Ion against AA.

I have a doubt here...
What is RAW? and How much it will be useful?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Actually u can not compare a 10k cam with a 14k cam

But really This cam is awesome...u can definitely get it...its specs r perfect:)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Actually u can not compare a 10k cam with a 14k cam
But I did...
But really This cam is awesome...u can definitely get it...its specs r perfect:)
Yeah, not just against SX130 but with other cameras too. But somehow I am convinced with SX130 IS. Nikon P300 seems good but the reviews are better for SX130 against P300. Some of th plus of SX130 IS against P300...

Little bulkier - I like it; And I like the design/structure too...
Lens - 28mm-336mm against 24mm-100mm;
Better macro; 1cm against 3cm;
Better Zoom; 12x against 4.2x;
Better shutter speed; 1/2500 against 1/2000;
Longer exposure; 15s against 8s;
Better Image quality;
Finally Cheaper. ;)

There were two models in my list to finalize, Canon Powershot SX130 IS and Panasonic DMC-TZ10.

Any say on RAW?

sujoyp

Grand Master
RAW is nothing but uncompressed format of a shot...these files r larger in size and retain much more details...
You can change the exposure, sharpness and saturation after u copy it in PC...there r RAW convertors for that like photoshop etc ....even if u convert RAW in to JPEG directly it will have more details

like u compared it with 4k cheaper cam similarly compare it with Canon 310HS and specs r mostly same

AND the lens and zoom are same in that comparison...24mm is an advantage :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
RAW is nothing but uncompressed format of a shot...these files r larger in size and retain much more details...
You can change the exposure, sharpness and saturation after u copy it in PC...there r RAW convertors for that like photoshop etc ....even if u convert RAW in to JPEG directly it will have more details

like u compared it with 4k cheaper cam similarly compare it with Canon 310HS and specs r mostly same

AND the lens and zoom are same in that comparison...24mm is an advantage :)

SX130 IS lacks RAW mode. :(

Yeah, specs of 310HS is very similar to P300.

Tele - 336mm is better than 100mm. Am I right?

Started reading basics of photography.

I have read some reviews on SX130 IS and TZ10. It seems like TZ10 have a slight edge over SX130 IS, but I am convinced with SX130 IS. What would be your pick between these two? Size/design doesn't matter.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes in tele the more mm indicate more zoom

TZ10 is a very good cam but now its old tech...if u want small then u can go for canon sx220HS instead...

stevenVFX

Right off the assembly line
Check out Nikon coolpix L110. It's a cool one. I am using it. It's a point and shoot with dSLR body design, not the exact tacky professional type. And it records HD videos which just need a bit of colour correction if you need things look good.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy,

If TZ10 is old tech, I prefer to stick with SX130 IS.

Steven,

Thanks Steven for the suggestion, but I don't know whether this model is available in market now. L120 is available but with no manual controls.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sulekha now sells SX130 IS @ Rs. 8195/- The best so far...

I wonder how can online sellers sell at lower price than the camera shops. The best price I came across was Rs. 10200/- from camera shops. The same product are getting sold between as low as Rs. 8195/-.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Maybe camera shop stocked these things and now selling at same rate whereas companies like sulekha get the items on order at latest rate :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Finally, I bought SX130 IS.

I have attached few test shots. I think I took these images in AUTO mode, but I am not sure. I don't know how to check. May be these are taken in Aperture priority mode.

*img593.imageshack.us/img593/3135/img0024xo.jpg
*img259.imageshack.us/img259/6948/img0022xo.jpg
*img411.imageshack.us/img411/386/img0021gj.jpg
*img64.imageshack.us/img64/7339/img0020zew.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
U can view all the details and setting in the EXIF info of the picture....i check the exif info from irfan view

BTW that cloud pic is taken at f/8 at aperture priority and at 5mm :D

Hope these r just test pics ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I checked the info (file summary), but I couldn't find in which mode the picture was taken. But I can find it in the camera, all the four photos I posted was taken in Aperture Priority.

I think, I was trying to shoot larger DOF, that's the sky shot. I wonder how did you find that it(the sky shot) was taken in Av. :) It's because of f.no. ??

And what I meant of "test shot" was, I was checking how the camera performs in different lights. And I am new to photography, I didn't know how to angle/compose a good picture. I tried to shoot things by adjust the settings I read in the manual and on online.

The pictures I posted was taken from terrace. Pictures with birds are taken @ 12x. Now I tried a low light shot. First I tried it in Auto mode, all I could see was a black grainy picture. In fact, I couldn't even see the subject when that low light shot was taken. Only a zero watt bulb was blowing at that time. Then I tried to shoot it in M mode with the subject closer to the bulb. This is the one I took in low light. Subject is just about 2.5ft away from the bulb. You can see the shadow of the camera in front of the subject, I put the camera between the subjects and light.

You can find a good night mat box, a small yellow toy, Zandu balm, Johnson & Johnson buds box, Rubiks (I just put them for different colours, but with blue light everything looks blue :) )

*img809.imageshack.us/img809/482/img0049m.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
As I said before u can view all the settings from exif of a picture

Download an exif viewer from this -> Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF Viewer & Editor in Windows / IE / Firefox

I just checked ur exif and found out all the details :D

By "test shots" I was pulling ur leg...just keep practicing...and dont worry about number of shots u took...
Those birds were too far...find a subject closer like a dog cat, bike etc :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I downloaded that EXIF software. Even it didn't show (May be I don't know where to look for) in which mode the picture was taken. It's alright, there is a software called ZOOMBROWSER came with SX130. It shows that info.

Started "Art of composition", I feel it's too much for me.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Dont use "Art of Composition" like heavy words :D just use "clicking good shots " dont it feel much light ;)

composition is too much for me too...still I am just trying to take proper shots of any subject :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Hi!

I couldn't see few shooting functions but in the manual they have explained them.

There are many, IS mode option is one among them.

What should I do?

I don't know what firmware version I am using, but I am using the latest version. I don't know how many functions/settings I am missing.

After posting that issue (actually, I sent a message Canon about that), I went terrace to take some dark sky shots and some star shots. But I couldn't see a single star on the sky.

I was surprised with these photos after taking them. I didn't see this much light when taking but camera captured more light than available. I wonder how this is possible...

And I have a doubt, using longer Tv will damage the camera??? Because, somewhere I read should not focus the camera on bright light like sun. But they weren't saying shouldn't use longer Tv, it's just my doubt.

*img225.imageshack.us/img225/4092/img0083kd.jpg
*img155.imageshack.us/img155/3915/img0085mj.jpg

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
u can use continous IS function ...I have never used canon cams donno exact name

The increase in light maybe because of slow shutter speed

long shutter may be used without a problem coz ur cam dont have a shutter at all soo no damage...everything is digital there

Top Bottom