Suggest a PC config fit for my Grand-Father :P

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Hi Guys!!

My grand father is about 70 years old :p and and very very active for his age.
He works in a corporate office, and has basic computer skills!

He plans to buy a desktop PC, I had initially suggested him to go for a laptop. But he is not comfortable with that.

Here is the questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Basic internet browsing, watching movies, YouTube- devotional videos and music. That's about it. Maybe some word processing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15k-18k max. Lower if possible.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Basic, lowest possible.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes please- 15" or depending upon the budget you guys some up with. The larger the better, will be safe their on the eyes.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Need to build from scratch.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP. Before Diwali.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will assemble it for them :)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad. He wants to buy using EMI, so from online retailers like Flipkart and so on.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: In return for your suggestions, I will request my grand-parents to bless you :D

Thank you for your valuable help :)

Last edited:

Naxal

Little Kid
Off Topic.

Buy your grand pa a Notebook.

Look for Lenovo G580 series with Intel G640 or such Dual Core processors and without OS.

That should come at around Rs. 22k / 23k

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get something like that: Toshiba Satellite C850-P5010 Laptop (2nd Gen PDC/ 2GB/ 320GB/ No OS): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Toshiba Notebook

This Thosiba model comes with 2nd Gen Intel Dual Core B950, 2.1 GHz model which is actually faster than the 1st gen i3 processors, 2GB of Ram, Intel HD 2000 (little slower than 2nd Gen I3's Graphics) and 320 GB of HDD. I think performance wise it is actually higher than what your Grand Pa needs but comes within the price range of yours.

OP
Abhishek Nama

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Off Topic.

Buy your grand pa a Notebook.

Look for Lenovo G580 series with Intel G640 or such Dual Core processors and without OS.

That should come at around Rs. 22k / 23k

Get something like that: Toshiba Satellite C850-P5010 Laptop (2nd Gen PDC/ 2GB/ 320GB/ No OS): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Toshiba Notebook

This Thosiba model comes with 2nd Gen Intel Dual Core B950, 2.1 GHz model which is actually faster than the 1st gen i3 processors, 2GB of Ram, Intel HD 2000 (little slower than 2nd Gen I3's Graphics) and 320 GB of HDD. I think performance wise it is actually higher than what your Grand Pa needs but comes within the price range of yours.

Thank you for your suggestion guys! But he is strictly against laptops. Only Desktops. Please suggest a config, it's okay if it goes outside the budget.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Intel Pentium G630 - 3.2k
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H - 3.2k
Corsair ValueSelect Ram 4GB - 1.1k
WD caviar blue 500GB - 3.5k
Dell in2030m -6k
Mouse&KB:logitech mk200 -0.7k
Cabinet:Any generic one :1k
PSU:corsair cx430v2 - 2.5k
Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1k

OP
Abhishek Nama

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman

Intel Pentium G630 - 3.2k
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H - 3.2k
Corsair ValueSelect Ram 4GB - 1.1k
WD caviar blue 500GB - 3.5k
Dell in2030m -6k
Mouse&KB:logitech mk200 -0.7k
Cabinet:Any generic one :1k
PSU:corsair cx430v2 - 2.5k
Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1k

Please rate this config: *i45.tinypic.com/14kf62f.png

Please mention if the price of any component is overpriced.

Naxal

Little Kid
Personal view only, since its without any power hungry GPU and apps, better get a local cabinet with generic PSU @ Rs. 1200 / 1500 at MAX.

Use the savings on increasing the Display size and HDD size since not much difference between a 250GB and 500GB. Same can be said for the RAM also :p

Please mention if the price of any component is overpriced.

Recently i purchased a full PC and local Kolkata vendors offered a good 12% savings over FK and other online merchants.

Better to pay a visit in local market also :)

OP
Abhishek Nama

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Personal view only, since its without any power hungry GPU and apps, better get a local cabinet with generic PSU @ Rs. 1200 / 1500 at MAX.

Use the savings on increasing the Display size and HDD size since not much difference between a 250GB and 500GB. Same can be said for the RAM also :p

Recently i purchased a full PC and local Kolkata vendors offered a good 12% savings over FK and other online merchants.

Better to pay a visit in local market also :)

All of your points are valid :)
Will take a look locally, but I don't think anyone offers emi.

Top Bottom