Suggest a good CPU+Motherboard

malay.keshav

Broken In
Please suggest me a good CPU + Motherboard Combo.Main purpose is for gaming and long hrs usage (for downloading,i Leave my computer on for 12-13 hrs every day.)
I already own :-
Sparkle 8800 GT 512 MB
DVD Writer
160 GB SATA
550 Watt Targan PSU
My Budget is Rs 15,000

##If possible with the given budget, i would prefer a board with two PCI express slots for a sli##
Does Ferrite Core/ Solid state Capacitors and other features actually help in a long lasting motherboard?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
at that budget, you can't get i5. Core i3 is a bad buy. get these:

MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 6k + Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k.

but i'll suggest change the motherboard to MSI 890GXM-G65 @7.2k. you can't go SLI. but can instead have Xfire. also 8800GT too old. you won't be able find another one to pair with the same.

also if going to change GPU, you better get a HD5770 1Gb from Biostar @ 8.5k or maybe tad more.

Total: 19.5k (with MSI 880G & HD5770). you'll get DX11. but for now you can stick to your 8800GT.

about the ferrite core or solid caps. they don't have effect on performance at default level. yes some allows more & stable OC at high voltage. also solid caps last long. but by the time electrolyte caps goes bad or leaks, most ppls change board to dump the old one or upgrade their PC.

OP
M

malay.keshav

Broken In
at that budget, you can't get i5. Core i3 is a bad buy. get these:

MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 6k + Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k.

but i'll suggest change the motherboard to MSI 890GXM-G65 @7.2k. you can't go SLI. but can instead have Xfire. also 8800GT too old. you won't be able find another one to pair with the same.

also if going to change GPU, you better get a HD5770 1Gb from Biostar @ 8.5k or maybe tad more.

Total: 19.5k (with MSI 880G & HD5770). you'll get DX11. but for now you can stick to your 8800GT.

about the ferrite core or solid caps. they don't have effect on performance at default level. yes some allows more & stable OC at high voltage. also solid caps last long. but by the time electrolyte caps goes bad or leaks, most ppls change board to dump the old one or upgrade their PC.

is processor better as compared to i3 in gaming?
and are these available online?
I live in Delhi, so i can go to nehru place, but i am not sure which shop to trust and buy from :S

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

What about Asus M4A77TD and Asus M4A88T?
will they be a better choice for a 5k mobo?

And Also Athlon II X4 635 is available at 7.5k on ebay. will the prices be lower at nehru place?
How is the AMD ATHLON II X3 440 Processor?

For the HD5770, what are the power requirements?i own the following PSU :: Cooler Master - Ultimate provider of Computer Chassis | Cooler | Power Supply
last time i did the mistake of buying a PSU not enough to support the 8800 GT properly and it stopped working in 6 months.

Please suggest more choices on the motherboard, CPU & GPU.

thank you

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
is processor better as compared to i3 in gaming?
and are these available online?
I live in Delhi, so i can go to nehru place, but i am not sure which shop to trust and buy from :S

in gaming its kind of 50:50. in some games the X4 beats the i3 & in rest the i3 thrashes the X4. but do remember i3 is a dual core with Hyper Threading. this Hyper Threading totally sucks when coming to day to day multithreading apps. also AMD socket won't see radical change. so basically new processors can be used on an AM3 socket. but for i3, its LGA1156 based socket will be history even before this year over. think well before making any move.

for these hardwares, visit SMC International at Neheru Place. they have both i3 as well as Athlon II X4. tell them you from Digit Forum. should get a bit more attention than :razz:

What about Asus M4A77TD and Asus M4A88T?
will they be a better choice for a 5k mobo?

frankly. NONE. if you regular in this forum, you'll come to know Asus is no more recommended here. Reason is simple. you end up having faulty parts. ram slots, heatsink, USB, graphics card slot, etc to name a few.

for 5k, get the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H. SMC have it for 4.6k. excellent VFM. i myself ordered it a week ago.

And Also Athlon II X4 635 is available at 7.5k on ebay. will the prices be lower at nehru place?
How is the AMD ATHLON II X3 440 Processor?

SMC:

Athlon II X4 635: 5k.
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H: 4.6k

both currently lying in my table :razz:

For the HD5770, what are the power requirements?i own the following PSU :: Cooler Master - Ultimate provider of Computer Chassis | Cooler | Power Supply
last time i did the mistake of buying a PSU not enough to support the 8800 GT properly and it stopped working in 6 months.

Please suggest more choices on the motherboard, CPU & GPU.

thank you

i can't guarantee your PSU will hold a HD5770. Tagan makes good PSU but as other manufacturers, it too have some low grade PSU lineup. so if yours is of a good series. 80% efficient certified. get the MSI HD5770 1Gb HAWX. it currently cost 9.5-10k & is excellent VFM graphics card. good cooler. & performance is better than 2 8800GT in SLI. will be just the perfect match for your PC.

But do remember, these proccy+ mobo will require DDR3 rams. so you may instead skip the graphics card & get 2X2Gb ram instead.

OP
M

malay.keshav

Broken In
in gaming its kind of 50:50. in some games the X4 beats the i3 & in rest the i3 thrashes the X4. but do remember i3 is a dual core with Hyper Threading. this Hyper Threading totally sucks when coming to day to day multithreading apps. also AMD socket won't see radical change. so basically new processors can be used on an AM3 socket. but for i3, its LGA1156 based socket will be history even before this year over. think well before making any move.

for these hardwares, visit SMC International at Neheru Place. they have both i3 as well as Athlon II X4. tell them you from Digit Forum. should get a bit more attention than :razz:

frankly. NONE. if you regular in this forum, you'll come to know Asus is no more recommended here. Reason is simple. you end up having faulty parts. ram slots, heatsink, USB, graphics card slot, etc to name a few.

for 5k, get the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H. SMC have it for 4.6k. excellent VFM. i myself ordered it a week ago.

SMC:

Athlon II X4 635: 5k.
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H: 4.6k

both currently lying in my table :razz:

i can't guarantee your PSU will hold a HD5770. Tagan makes good PSU but as other manufacturers, it too have some low grade PSU lineup. so if yours is of a good series. 80% efficient certified. get the MSI HD5770 1Gb HAWX. it currently cost 9.5-10k & is excellent VFM graphics card. good cooler. & performance is better than 2 8800GT in SLI. will be just the perfect match for your PC.

But do remember, these proccy+ mobo will require DDR3 rams. so you may instead skip the graphics card & get 2X2Gb ram instead.

OK!
got it :D
so i decided the processor and the motherboard,but the graphics card, is there any other choice? which is betther than 8800 GT and a little cheaper than 5770 ? what about SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB? will it be worth replacing 8800 GT with 4850?
And how much will 2 GB DDR3 RAM cost me?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
OK!
got it :D
so i decided the processor and the motherboard,but the graphics card, is there any other choice? which is betther than 8800 GT and a little cheaper than 5770 ? what about SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB? will it be worth replacing 8800 GT with 4850?
And how much will 2 GB DDR3 RAM cost me?

yes can go for HD4850 also but i think for that pricing you'll get HD5750. but yoy can also go for these:

GTS250 512Mb
HD5670 512Mb (performance same).
HD4770.

2Gb DDR3 will cost you 2.5k or slightly more.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2010

malay would like you to refer to this before uying any card. read it thoroughly.

u should get 5770 only sam is right.

OP
M

malay.keshav

Broken In
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2010

malay would like you to refer to this before uying any card. read it thoroughly.

u should get 5770 only sam is right.

i was planning to buy the same, but i doubt my PSU would last.
Also, with the Motherboard + CPU + RAM + 5770 , the total price goes really beyond my budget.

And thank you for that link, i have been looking for something like that :D

OP
M

malay.keshav

Broken In
Got All the goodies.. :D

Gigabyte 880 GM-UD2H
Sapphire HD 5750 1 GB
AMD X4 536
Kingston 2 GB DDR3

Total it costed me around 22K
But selling my old motherboard , Processor , GFX Card (X1300 Pro) , 3 GB DDR2 RAM i got 4k.
so i all i had to spend was 18K.

Thank You every one , or more specifically SAM :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Got All the goodies.. :D

Gigabyte 880 GM-UD2H
Sapphire HD 5750 1 GB
AMD X4 536
Kingston 2 GB DDR3

Total it costed me around 22K
But selling my old motherboard , Processor , GFX Card (X1300 Pro) , 3 GB DDR2 RAM i got 4k.
so i all i had to spend was 18K.

Thank You every one , or more specifically SAM :)

Whats is X4 536? :???:

well purchase is good. BTW whats is the pricing of the individual components? specially the graphics card?

my pleasure buddy. njoy your upgrade :razz:

OP
M

malay.keshav

Broken In
oh srry 635 :ashamed:

Mobo + CPU - 9.5 K
RAM - 2.3 K
Cabinet - 1.9 K
As it turns out, my prev cabinet was from DELL (Malaysia) so it was made by US starndards or smthng. Everything was mirrored. Hence the new cabinet as well.

GFX Card - 8.5 K

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
oh srry 635 :ashamed:

Mobo + CPU - 9.5 K
RAM - 2.3 K
Cabinet - 1.9 K
As it turns out, my prev cabinet was from DELL (Malaysia) so it was made by US starndards or smthng. Everything was mirrored. Hence the new cabinet as well.

GFX Card - 8.5 K

not bad. i think you got the proccy for real cheap. as the Gigabyte 880G cost 6k or more. your proccy price comes out at just 3.5k :shock:

2Gb ram at only 2.3k :shock::shock::shock:

but should have opted for HD5770. just 500 bucks more. anyway not too bad a price for HD5750.

OP
M

malay.keshav

Broken In
thats wat the bill says :D
a lot of bargainig though :?

yes. at first i was buying 5770. but i didnt want to take any risks with the PSU not being able to handle it.

Top Bottom