Suggest a good 5.1 speaker system ~15k

Apocalyp5e

Broken In
I want to buy 5.1 speaker system which will be mostly used for listening music and watching movies, since I prefer gaming with my steel-series.

My room size is 14X10.

I did some research and came up with

Logitech z906 - ~ 15k

Edifier DA 5000 Pro ~ 13k

F&D F6000 ~ 8.5k

Creative T6160 ~ ??

Logitech z506 - ~5k

Logitech Z623 ~ 8k

Let me know which one is best value for money. z906 is good but no dedicated tweeters :(

some more info

I prefer tight and strong bass

I don't have sound card (thinking of getting Asus Xonar Essence STX but later :p)

As I am located in pune please let me know some place where i can have audition of mentioned speakers.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
edifier da5000 pro, for tight & strong bass (provided you can find this model now :) )

perhaps you should avoid Z906.

edifier da5000 pro provide a good SQ in music too, but having a good sound-card is kind-of MUST with them.

F&D F6000 would be my next choice. there's a small review on it over here.

in 2.1 --> Z623 has a thread on it here on TDF. pls go through that.

another model you could consider in 2.1 is corsair's SP2500. pls get in touch with megamind on that.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
a user (on HFV....name's 'gurujee'....he's a TDF member too) had told me the that the bass of Z906 is boomy and muddled (which at times seems to eat up the mids), and not at all recommended, for music atleast. according to him, the only plus point of the system is the multitude of connectivity options.

Last edited:
OP
Apocalyp5e

Apocalyp5e

Broken In
Thanks a lot for replies :)

I checked Edifier S550 and that seems really good, only downside is connectivity which is only analog. I think i saw it for 20K

What your take on Edifier S550

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Thanks a lot for replies :)

I checked Edifier S550 and that seems really good, only downside is connectivity which is only analog. I think i saw it for 20K

What your take on Edifier S550

i've no personal experience with them, but these are considered the rivals, and sometimes better than the legendary logitech Z5500 (tighter bass than the latter) . if you can stretch your budget, simply grab it.

check a couple of reviews here :

Edifier S550: The Logitech Z5500 Destroyers

Tech Labs Review #1

Tech Labs Review #2

BTW, where did you get this price from ?

also consider these :

Energy 5.1 Classic

these energy speakers have got great reviews at many places. but i guess you'll have to import them from the above link or from elsewhere.

Last edited:

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Offtopic : I have z906 and there is not 1 ounce of mud present my the Bass!
Maybe the guy complaining didn't set it up properly or something, but it sound crisp and tight to me.
It's pretty amazing :)

But ya, 5.1 is not for listening music (z906 is just Good for music, but for Games and Movies (with 5.1 sound) it rocks )

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
quite possible. proper set-up counts too.

although this is commonly understood that 5.1s aren't much good for playing 2-channel recordings (ie, stereo sound), but this formula makes me more than happy --> properly set-up and burnt-in edifier da5000 pro + xonar dx & its GUI + a couple of FLACs = quite a pleasant amazement ;)

digitaltab

In the zone
i have got z506, and these are the "GOD" speakers in its range you know, go blindly for z906, i have heard them and they are the best,

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
bass quality depends on the listener. Who have felt the bass of Altec Lansing MX5051 or ATP3, they will never be satisfied with Logi Z906 as far as music is concerned.

Logitech is good for gaming, then movies. But when watching movies, at the time deep bass requirement, it fails. A typical 'drrrrr' sound comes. Yes, i have placed the sub on floor and have experimented different placement also. Well, for music I am also getting Edifier c2 soon.

If OP can audition both, then he can feel what exactly he likes & wants. Megamind is the man to ask these all.

OP
Apocalyp5e

Apocalyp5e

Broken In
Thanks for the replies

BTW, where did you get this price from ?

Well I got the price from letsbuy and some other sites for ~19k mark but the problem is, that its out of stock everywhere

then there is a site called timtara.com where its for 19k + i can use coupon for 3.5 rebate, but I read a lot of bad reviews about the site so I am not going to order it from there.

By the way S550 is very limited as connectivity wise and I think I will be needing a good DAC or good sound card (ex. xonar essesnce ST/STX) for getting most of it.

On the other hand z906 could be used with my S/PDIF and inbuilt DAC will do all the decoding.

The bottom line is
Is it worth going from my 15k (z906) budget to whooping 28k (S550 + SC) :((

I mean the SQ wise, considering that I am not an audiophile. I just want to have VFM Speakers.

About the BASS I like it Thumpy/Tight and not muddy/boomy. It should be precise and shouldn't overdo it

digitaltab

In the zone
bass quality depends on the listener. Who have felt the bass of Altec Lansing MX5051 or ATP3, they will never be satisfied with Logi Z906 as far as music is concerned.

Logitech is good for gaming, then movies. But when watching movies, at the time deep bass requirement, it fails. A typical 'drrrrr' sound comes. Yes, i have placed the sub on floor and have experimented different placement also. Well, for music I am also getting Edifier c2 soon.

If OP can audition both, then he can feel what exactly he likes & wants. Megamind is the man to ask these all.

probably your woofer is faulty or something, because i am using z506 and i have experienced z906, and it is superb for gaming , music and movies...
in gaming and movies, it gives the 3d surround sound effects which can't be felt in any other speakers as far as i checked...
these two models of logitech just touch perfection...:cool:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

I mean the SQ wise, considering that I am not an audiophile. I just want to have VFM Speakers.

About the BASS I like it Thumpy/Tight and not muddy/boomy. It should be precise and shouldn't overdo it

Answer is in your post itself. :)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Thanks for the replies

Well I got the price from letsbuy and some other sites for ~19k mark but the problem is, that its out of stock everywhere

then there is a site called timtara.com where its for 19k + i can use coupon for 3.5 rebate, but I read a lot of bad reviews about the site so I am not going to order it from there.

By the way S550 is very limited as connectivity wise and I think I will be needing a good DAC or good sound card (ex. xonar essesnce ST/STX) for getting most of it.

On the other hand z906 could be used with my S/PDIF and inbuilt DAC will do all the decoding.

The bottom line is

then get either the Z506 or Z906 from ebay. yes you would need a good sound card with the edifier, while there's no need of it with the former two. the sound card's abilities would be put to good use with the edifier, but since you said that you are not looking for an enthusiast set-up, get Z506 or Z906.

OP
Apocalyp5e

Apocalyp5e

Broken In
@GhorMaanas I read your thread about Edifier DA5000 Pro, what are the connectivity options in that system.

Let me know if you auditioned z906 as well. I am bit skeptical about z906 because of lack of tweeters.

If anyone owns F&D F6000, please let me know connectivity options in that one, also i heard there is some distortion in sound at high volume.

one last thing how much difference between Z906 and Z506 SQ.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Very true. But then none of Z906 & Z5500 are meant for music listening. In fact none of multi channel speakers are!

Both Z906/Z5500 have gr8 frequency range for watching movies and are capable of reproducing most of the effects within. As for "deep" bass / "boom-iness" all Z5500/Z906 owners know very well how badly their neighbors are victimized by it! :p hehe..
Nevertheless, to my experience i found Logitech Z906/Z5500's bass response to be most suitable for movies and gaming.

Top Bottom