Suggest a distro for my old PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
K am not hijacking this thread but a simple question,

tell me the name of a distro which can run on 128MB RAM desktop PC, it should be user friendly and easier like Ubuntu

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
The wierdest thing,

I cant login to anything in vector(gmail etc) cos it always says wrong password entered :confused:,

But Im able to ligin in XP.

praka123

left this forum longback
^try antix!
@t159:do u expect Gnome in 128MB PC?also what processor?
if you want a smooth experience,I recommend compiling gentoo (better from stage1) :lol:
another option is archlinux+kdemod -it will hopefully work smooth.
both the above distros should not be tried by n00b's.

overall,as per reviews,Antix seems the way for old pc's :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^processor is pentium 2.4

currently redhhat 9 is installed, and its working fine,
My friend likes XP but am trying to convince him that linux can also be better.
He is on BSNL 500NU plan, so the distro should be easy to configure for net. Multimedia flexibility and GCC should be easier to set up.

I hav installed Mandriva 2008 on my C2D machine, its out of box experience is wow till now, plays any video/audio file and by default you hav Compiz fusion and matisse, and was far more easier to install than Ubuntu.

The wierdest thing,

I cant login to anything in vector(gmail etc) cos it always says wrong password entered :confused:,

But Im able to ligin in XP.
yeah the same problem was in ubuntu evolution, SMTP password was always wrong even entering again it pops up after few minutes to say the same raaga

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^then it is easy!my suggestion is,you install archlinux,else Antix is nice :)
BTW,with 384MB RAM ,I am running a p4 2.8Ghz smoothly.but yes,a dedicated 256MB nvidia card is there ;)

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Installed Slackware 12,

The problem why all the distros were hanging was cos of incorrect horizontal and vertical refresh rates and multiple desktops!:grin:

So problems solved! :)

>Now I have a scroll wheel in my PS/2 mouse but it does'nt work, how do i make it work?

>And by enabling or disabling kernel modules can I increase the speed of my system(loading only modules for my current hardware)?

F

FilledVoid

Believe me. My personal experience. PCLOS 2007 works better under older systems.
WOuld it work with reasonable performance on the below system?

PIII 700 MHz,
256 MB SDRAM,
Intel chipset,
LG dvd writer,
Seagate 20GB HDD,
Samsung 15" crt moniter

F

FilledVoid

My current system is an ancient one...

Sempron 2500+ with just 256 mb ram !

Only PCLOS 2007 worked best in my system out of all the frontline distros
Comapred to what the op has you have a Godly system :| . Furthermore just using Ubuntu as an example. You can customize it to run much more efficiently if you take the effort. Google Ubuntu for Speed and you should see an article exactly on it. I recall the person who created the article running Ubuntu GUtsy on a 450 Mhz laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom