sub woofer posing health problems :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
hi friends ! i have just bought intex 2600W subwoofers(with 4 satellite speakers).The quality of music is superb,but i m having some other problems... even at normal volume(ie. at which one can listen all the instruments n frequencies in the music) i start feeling pain in my chest(probably near heart) due to the bass beats. moreover i found it difficult to sit infront of the speakers bcoz the ears start feeling heavy after some time.so i had to turn their faces the opposite direction.believe me i have kept the volume just at bare minimum to hear the songs with all quality n the bass control is also at minimum.I m feeling as if i have wasted my money n switch back to my 400W speakers. Is there anything wrong with the subwoofer ? what should i do.. Go to doctor :(

Netjunkie

In the zone
Well this is the first time i am hearing that subwoofers cause chest pain, I heard of discomfort to the ears before.

First consult the doctor. Ear problem could be because of improper positioning of the woofer or bad room acoustics.

Anyway lets wait for the others to post.

Huzefa

Journeyman
U must be keeping your sub-woofer on the desk / near the monitor or PC . Ideally it should be placed on the floor. No ammount of sound can cause what u are saying ! All u are feeling is the bass effect in the chest cavity , which everyone can feel. Besides Altec Lansing is far better than intex

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Looks like the sub-w0ofer's diaphram and ur diaphram are in resonance :)
Or maybe ur heart is not in it :)

No need to throw those good speakers out. Just find the bass control on the speaker or in Volume Properties and reduce it.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Do you by any chance have a pacemaker? Because a non-magnetically shielded set of speakers would play havoc with a pacemaker.

OP
tech_cheetah

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
well i m keeping the woofer below the desk n now i m planning to place the satellite speakers high on the wall at the four corners of the room..may b that will reduce the strain on ears a bit and solve the problem.. lets c

OP
tech_cheetah

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
the problem is solved with the 4 satellite speakers at the four corners high up on the wall.. i bet this is the best way to obtain the surround sound configuration without paining ur ears..

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Just what I wanted to say after noticing that u had the speakers in front of you. It was the directional high freq sound from the satellites and not the non-directional low frqs from the sub.Placing them farther is the correct solution. But some fellas I know often turn the satellites away from the general direction of their head to avoid high frq sounds because they have small rooms. Good work finding it out urself.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Dood I use an Altec and believe me when sometimes I get the rush I keep the sub in front of me for 5 - seconds and play some damn bass music and it almost give me vibrations so dood dont do something crazy like me just keep all da spks where it is supposed to be and enjoy da music.

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
One of my friend had put his subwoofer of altec lansing avs 251 on desk. Once he put a glass bowl in front of it. When he started playing metallica on his sub-woofer with volume set to abt 40%, the bowl broke into pieces....

Now the friend uses headphones for listenign to music...

:lol:

srijan007

Broken In
I too have heard people complain of this , although your case is bizarre

Firstly, go to a good search engine and search for guidelines on how to position your speaker correctly.
If the pain is too much then keep them on a shelf as someone rightly mentioned.
Do visit the doc.If you have a medical history of diaphragm probs then you need to consult him.
If your speaker is within the warranty period, Get it checked at an authorised test centre. Such problems may be caused by faulty diaphragms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom