Stuck with broken processor, HELP.

Takashi

Right off the assembly line
Guys,

Mobo : Biostat TA790GX 128M AM2+
Proc : AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

The above mentioned proc accidentally got broken. I live in chennai.
I went to Ritchie street to buy another compatible proc, found out
the procs are not available in stores since they were outdated.
Even second-hand proc is hard to get. One shop told they have x240
and the price was 3K. Also they told me my mobo BIOS needs an update for which they are charging another 900(this is ridiculous).

Where can I find the adoptable proc in chennai?( new or second-hand no problem)

Otherwise what models of new proc available in the current market can go
with my mobo?

Your responses are really appreciated.

Thanks.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
PC should boot up with unsupported processor. keep a pendrive with the new bios file read. you can flash the new bios using Bios Flasher.

as for processor, the Phenom II that your board supports won't be easy to find. Though Athlon II X2 can be found.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
download bios File--78DEA525.BST & bios utility to enable support for athlon/phenom II.
TA790GX 128M :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR

athlon II 260 @ 3270

OP
T

Takashi

some of Proc leg pins bended when i try to dismount in a hurry. I tried to straight them up which actually made them worse.

Do you guys think It can be fixed?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
try to make them straight with a tweezer or a pin but do it very slowly. but if the pins are already broken, then you can't fix it. its gone.

Will this work with my mobo?

it has DDR2 memory controller so it should work. maybe the page is not updated in a long time. though highend Phenom IIs mayn't work cause of high TDP but no such limitation for Athlon IIs.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You could give it for repair. They will send it to AMD and get it repaired. An amount will be charged, but hey- they'll fix it.

helion

Broken In
some of Proc leg pins bended when i try to dismount in a hurry. I tried to straight them up which actually made them worse.

Do you guys think It can be fixed?

Did you put the end result processor onto the mobo and found that it won't work, or did you conclude as-it-is that it won't work?

OP
T

Takashi

Finally I've found Athlon x255 for 3.3K
and Phenom X4 9650+ for 6.6K

My main purpose coding and browsing.
so i think dual core is enough.

Just want to make sure x255 will go with my mobo.

OP
T

Takashi

As far as I have inquired they told me the new Athlon x2 260 won't go with this mobo model. Anyone know this for sure.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
didn't you read my earlier post?i have posted a bios update which will enable support for athlon II & phenom II processors(it is also mentioned on that biostar site page).

Top Bottom