Strange PC Problem

Rahul01

Broken In
Hi all,
I just encountered a strange PC problem and my PC is just 7 day old, and the Problem is, sometimes PC power on but no display, no beep, no post, no motherboard logo but all light are glowing(keyboard,mouse cabinet power light) and all fans are working (SMPS fan, processor fan) but PC wont starts I have to turn off by pressing power button for 5 sec, this problem is cured by assembler within 10 mins and i don`t know what he does to start my PC and what is exact problem he didn`t tell me, i inquired him whether its a SMPS problem (worrying because its a Quad core) he says no its not a SMPS problem and he says don`t worry I use intex SMPS even in Core I7 with no problem at all. what is this problem???:-( This problem is still present after assembler visit, i power off it and after some time say 10-15 mins. when i start PC everything is fine and seems really no problem??? I am guessing it may be a SMPS problem but if it really a SMPS problem then why my PC starts sometimes and sometimes not????

My Sys Config:-

AMD Phenom II 960T
ASUS M5A88M
Corsair value 4 GB
WD Blue 500GBtell me
Intex SMPS 450 Watts
Cabinet Intex Mini ATX
UPS 600VA Intex(5 yrs old)

Waiting for reply....

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
i inquired him whether its a SMPS problem (worrying because its a Quad core) he says no its not a SMPS problem and he says don`t worry I use intex SMPS even in Core I7 with no problem at all. what is this problem???:-(

About bolder part: Assembler doesn't earn enough money to buy i7. Fact.
That so called Computer Hardware Educated assembler is stupid and make stories to sell his items.
That Intex SMPS 450 Watts simply can't power 960T up. That is the reason behind your problem.

You need at least any of these:
Corsair CX430V2 @2.4K
or
Corsair VS450 @2.1K

OP
R

Rahul01

Broken In
Really intex smps won't power up 960t, i know intex is underpowered but how much underpowered?
Ok, i add a gfx card (5k budget)within 6 months and i unlock and overclock my processor. Is corsair cx 430 handle it.

Really intex smps won't power up 960t, i know intex is underpowered but how much underpowered?
Ok, i add a gfx card (5k budget)within 6 months and i unlock and overclock my processor. Is corsair cx 430 handle it.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Even if you add lower mid range graphics card, CX430V2 will ve enough to handle all of them, very easily.

OP
R

Rahul01

Broken In
Now new problem, PC starts normally but switch off eventually after some time and every time i have to clear CMOS and reinstall RAM.
@d6bmg i have finalized to purchase corsair cx430v2 from flipkart, are you sure that its a SMPS problem???

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I won't make the bold claim that I'm 100% sure, but I would say that it look like it and I'm 90% sure.
About purchasing from flipkart, I'll say, don't. Its way too much overpriced there.
Where I live, it is available @2.4K+tax.

A better deal to you: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - just change the cr@p PSU of yours and everything will be solved - if not change the UPS too.

havoknation

Journeyman
Dude, change your PSU asap else you will loose your great phenom and corsairs.. and if budget allows then try to buy atleast basic coolermaster Elite or NZXT Gamma cabby

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I'd say the PSU's the problem and also if possible change the ups(though that might not be the problem, 5yrs pretty old for a ups), also ask your assembler what he did to start it and what the problem was, lets see what he says......

OP
R

Rahul01

Broken In
order placed to purchase corsair cx430v2.
@dan4u & topgear assembler didn`t say anything he say everything is OK it is due to heavy raining or moisture something like that, when i suspect may be problem from SMPS side he simply ignore it. intex SMPS deliver 18A on +12v rail whereas cx430v2 delivers 28A, may be that's a main problem.

aloodum

Journeyman
@@ Rahul : Im not sure if its ur PSU. It is known that local chinese chaap PSU are crap, but given the current load, it would not be too much of an issue.
18 X 12 =216 W from the 12V alone even if an inflated figure , more than enuff fr atleast starting up your machine.

But as others advised, its better if you can change it condidering a decent PSU will serve multiple builds down the years with different hardware.

more likely its the ram..Are you using multiple sticks of RAM?

Had faced a similar situation on a friends PC with the mentioned chipset..turns out 1 out of his 4 sticks was dying...Note that in his case too, there were no BIOS beep codes to indicate error...just the mobo leds were all lit up, fan rotates BUT NO POST

Also, maybe ur ram slot too can be at fault. My older C2d 775 board had this issue towards the end.The 2nd ram slot somehow couldnot retain the ram in its correct position and the machine showed almosty exact symptoms every 10-15 days.Only after a tight nudge would she POST.

OP
R

Rahul01

Broken In
No i am not using multi RAMs, but only one corsair value select 1333 MHz. it is slotted in 2nd slot.
power output of cheap SMPS may not be always constant it vary upon load, lets see when corsair SMPS comes.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
intex SMPS deliver 18A on +12v rail

No. Practically it can't. If it could actually deliver 18A on 12Volt, then it would have become a very good PSU.

assembler didn't say anything he say everything is OK it is due to heavy raining or moisture something like that
With due respect, your assembler is a fraud.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ a 500W PSU delivering 18A on +12V rail is not and can't be a good PSU - it can be a mediocre PSU if anyone likes to call it and is not recommended to use with a cpu like 960T.

OP
R

Rahul01

Broken In
@allodum
Cisco Techblog: Asus M5A88-M with Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 - Bluescreen issue (BSOD) SOLVED with Kingston RAM - Read Update2

what do u say about it.

Top Bottom