Storing/Keeping Windows updates

Technopond

Right off the assembly line
I regularly update my Windows 7 through Windows Update. But how can I 'save' these updates? Eg. if I need to reinstall Windows for some reason, all updates will be gone. So, my question is, how do I save them?

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Ur best option is to create a backup image of ur windows after the updates alternatively if u want to really save the updates u have to use windows update catalog
u can fing the info here
How to download updates that include drivers and hotfixes from the Windows Update Catalog

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Please see this-
windows update backup. - Bink.nu

Yeah, on your C drive should be a folder called c:\WUTemp. If I am not mistaken I think that is the dump folder for them...however you have to save them before Windows removes them, and I think it does that each reboot . In your case you might be out of luck, depending on the contents of that folder.

sakumar79

Technomancer
How about

1. Set automatic updates to off.
2. use ctupdate/WSUS offline tool to download the updates separately and then
3. install using the update client included with it...

Arun

OP
T

Technopond

Right off the assembly line
But I have already downloaded a lot of updates and now I want to 'keep' them separately, possible?

anandk

Distinguished Member
Starting with Vista, Windows Updates is set to download only the select files which need to be updated. So you wont find them saved in any folder.

Two options you can try:

Go to the Windows Update Catalog site and click on Find Updates.

Or else try Windows Updates Downloader (WUD)

Top Bottom