Steam

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Seems like Valve took the effect of AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting=No and applied it to everything. Every gift from these regions is now restricted, regardless of publisher settings:
Russia/CIS
Southeast Asia
South America
Turkey
This does not apply to already existing gifts - RU gifts in my inventory didn't get the red text and they can still be activated.
RIP in pepperonis, cheap games. You will be missed.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Steam Community :: Holiday Auction

Can anyone tell in "PLAIN ENGLISH" What the heck its all about? I have many so called "Community items" in my steam account. Can I make $$$ from them, by some kind of auction? How the heck I change them to "Gems" which the link says? WTF is all this s*** about? :confused:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
gems are the least economical way to convert items to games
that's all I know, so not bothering with it
there seems to have been a bug in the system that allowed you loads of gems, but it was squashed early on and all transactions reversed, didn't look into it too much

gameranand

Living to Play
Seems like Valve took the effect of AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting=No and applied it to everything. Every gift from these regions is now restricted, regardless of publisher settings:
Russia/CIS
Southeast Asia
South America
Turkey
This does not apply to already existing gifts - RU gifts in my inventory didn't get the red text and they can still be activated.
RIP in pepperonis, cheap games. You will be missed.

Well they wanted to stop cross region exploits of game buying. But it has an adverse effect that might hurt them, Take me for example.
Sorry Steam I'll come back to you when I have played 330 games in my account, maybe in next winter sales or next to next year's summer sales. I will only buy what I'll play after buying, previously I used to buy just because I can get it cheap.
My gaming budget will surely go down because of this, steam just lost much moolah from me. And this not just me, they will see the worst Winter sales ever this year if I am not wrong. I ain't buying **** this winter because I have what I need right now, and will wait and wait for HBs and nice bundles.

Killing Machine
+1 Well said [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION]. That applies exactly for me as well. Out of the 500+ owned I would've hardly bought 10-15 from the official store. Rest all cheap trades and elsewhere . I ll just stick to bundles and price errors hereafter.

ACidBaseD

ACid DrinkeR
Well they wanted to stop cross region exploits of game buying. But it has an adverse effect that might hurt them, Take me for example.
Sorry Steam I'll come back to you when I have played 330 games in my account, maybe in next winter sales or next to next year's summer sales. I will only buy what I'll play after buying, previously I used to buy just because I can get it cheap.
My gaming budget will surely go down because of this, steam just lost much moolah from me. And this not just me, they will see the worst Winter sales ever this year if I am not wrong. I ain't buying **** this winter because I have what I need right now, and will wait and wait for HBs and nice bundles.

Let's see if you can resist the urge to buy games at such cheap prices. :p

BTW, AFAIK Steam traders (including buyers) makes up for a very low percentage of steams complete user-base. I'm pretty sure they analysed every step carefully before taking such drastic steps.

Maybe now people will only buy games they actually have time to play instead of hoarding all possible games.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
+1 Well said [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION]. That applies exactly for me as well. Out of the 500+ owned I would've hardly bought 10-15 from the official store. Rest all cheap trades and elsewhere . I ll just stick to bundles and price errors hereafter.

Yeah it seems like Steam's Economic adviser didn't read about human mentality much. The move is completely silly on their part and will only harm them, hell my budget is getting reduced for gaming and I am neutral for this change but Steam will see the WORST SALE IN THEIR HISTORY THIS TIME FOR SURE. My Steam library escalated from 237 to 330 in one month, all thanks to very cheap deals. If there weren't for them, I would had never even bought those games at all. Why would I buy a game when I think I might play it and not so sure about it. I'll rather play the ones I have and damn I have so many of my favorites in library but didn't played them.

Let's see if you can resist the urge to buy games at such cheap prices. :p

BTW, AFAIK Steam traders (including buyers) makes up for a very low percentage of steams complete user-base. I'm pretty sure they analysed every step carefully before taking such drastic steps.

Maybe now people will only buy games they actually have time to play instead of hoarding all possible games.

I'll resist. You'll see no notifications of Gameranand own this and that game this sale unless I really need to.
Drastic step for traders maybe, not for me. I have bought plenty titles at their full price and I don't regret a thing because I have played them. I did hoarded a lot of titles just for the sake of cheapass deals.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
auction gems got hacked, all trades got re-instated, those who participated during the hack got a free copy of cs:go
roubles crashed and trades were not allowed from some regions to others
the games are celebrating because they finally get to be played :razz:

Top Bottom