Steam

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some basic information about Steam
Steam is a content delivery platform developed by Valve. You get a Steam account. You buy a game and it is tied to your account. You can download it as many times you want and from anywhere. No CD or DVD required. You are allowed to take back-up of you games on any media you want, but you have to log-in into Steam to play your games. You can only log-in from one location at a time.

List of retail games which can be registered on Steam: *support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

1) You register a Steam ID
2) You like a game. You buy that using your Credit Card and you can download as many times as you want using your Steam ID from any part of the world.
3) You have to log-in to your Steam account to play your games.
4) Offline mode also exists given that you have logged into your Steam account atleast ONE time before on that particular machine with your password saved.
5) Some games can be bought in Retail and then activated on Steam. These games are mentioned here: *support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601
6) The activation on Steam is done like this:
*img829.imageshack.us/img829/9051/screenshot20110413at253.th.jpg
7) If Steam sees that the game on your machine is outdated, it will always _update_ it before letting you play it.
8) Due to the above reason, the retail games which you buy have updates available _98.5 percent_ of the time after you install using retail DVD, so you will have to _obviously_ download updates before playing them. example: Metro 2033, Mafia II.
9) So what makes sense for me? Buy Retail games which use Steam. Example: Mafia II is Rs.400 on retail and $30 on Steam. DVD Box will be delivered to your home. Open it. Activate the serial number on Steam and throw the DVD Box including DVDs in the dustbin and download from Steam.
10) Take back-up of games on a portable hard disk like I do. Or burn the back-up on DVDs and store the "updated" DVDs.
You take the back-up using Steam's back-up feature which creates a "dump" at the location you want. And then you restore the game from the dump using Steam's restore feature.

Saved games are to be backed-up manually. Copy-Paste the save files.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
re: Steam related discussions

Not really much of sale. There are limited titles on discount :( I want Half Life 1 Anthology with a discount really :/ Got to wait till christmas

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot

No.. batman just has leader board support. And It isn't much of a discount, either way. We can get a GOTY hard copy which as 3d support for 699INR.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Use Google for such little things.

It's Game of the Year anyways.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I got my copy of Left 4 Dead 2 @ $5. 7 hours remaining.

CS:S 6-pack is also available @ $25.

---

29 Nov, 2010

Orange Box @ $7.50. - Half Life 2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2, Portal, Team Fortress 2 ---- MUST HAVE

World of Goo @ $2.50. - just buying it. :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

I got my copy of Left 4 Dead 2 @ $5. 7 hours remaining.

CS:S 6-pack is also available @ $25.

---

29 Nov, 2010

Orange Box @ $7.50. - Half Life 2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2, Portal, Team Fortress 2 ---- MUST HAVE

World of Goo @ $2.50. - just buying it. :)

Mode of payment as I can only do debit card payment.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I used a Credit Card.

You can use a Debit Card too, I think. Should be a Visa or Mastercard.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Can you buy on behalf of me ? I'll send you the amount.

Left for dead 2 and World of Goo

Last edited:
OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Can you buy on behalf of me ? I'll send you the amount.

Left for dead 2 and World of Goo
Can't do that. Already made a lot of purchases this week...Domain renewal + hosting etc. :oops:

Wait for Christmas. There will be one more sale.

Left for Dead 2 back @ $19.99.

Top Bottom