Starting All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzu

AJJU
ok guys iam planning to use Linux on my Old machine ( p4 2.4 ghz , 768 ram )
I hav previously used Linux distro's such as Mint, Ubuntu , Mandriva , Fedora.
I got BSNL BB (ul) recently so planning get a good distro for Browsing , Watching Movies (mvk , avi ,mp3 files) and much moore.
I want a full featured version ...
I have Xp already installed so it shud detect rest of my partitioned(xp) drives.
and iit shud hav a lot of software's supported
Plzz help Guys :D

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Go with Linux Mint 7.
If you prefer a more advanced distro, Fedora 11 should suit the bill.
BTW nice to see you back azzu. :)

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
i mean which is the Distro which has the highest number of softwares available
i mean iam a software freak and want to try out as many softs as they r availble
so , shud i go for UBUNTU 9.10?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
i mean which is the Distro which has the highest number of softwares available
i mean iam a software freak and want to try out as many softs as they r availble
so , shud i go for UBUNTU 9.10?

Fedora has a huge repository, you should try it out.
On a second thought, install Ubuntu 9.04 & Fedora 11 so you can get best from both of the worlds.

I'd go for Mint if I were you, although there isn't much to choose between them, other than most codecs are available of the distro itself (ie. in Mint) whereas yo have to download them once you install Ubuntu and Mint is not bloated if you compare it with Ubuntu.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
can i get some clarity here
Well Ubuntu 9.04 is the latest STABLE release (read: current release), so I recommend it to use it, however you can wait for Ubuntu 9.10 which is releasing in 3 days time. :p

Regarding Fedora, personally I dont recommend Fedora since it's a bit tricky to use and I never really liked it, in all honesty.

Oh BTW if you want a remix of Ubuntu which can run out of box multimedia and has other nify features, then go for Linux Mint, it's nice and simple.

Arch FTW if you have some experience in Linux and are happy to begin in text mode and go step by step installing the GUI and all, and like its minimal philosophy plus control it gives to you. Prepare for editing configuration files if you wanna Arch. But it's not really hard TBH. :p

Looking at your situation, Ubuntu/Mint would be my personal recommendation.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
if you don;t mind I would wait for the new release of Ubuntu. I would think that with new distros the chances of finding out some weird bug is quite higher. Ubuntu should ahve plenty of software to satisfy your needs.

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
so guys i think it is a Basic (noobish) question but all the software's of ubuntu work on MINT Na ??

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Mint - you get access to mint's own set of unique tools, +Mint repos +Ubuntu repos +Debian repos - so that's a large number of software.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Consider giving Ubuntu netbook remix a spin. It comes with all Ubuntu goodies + nice UI. It is light and fast.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
like Cool G5 said Fedora 11 hav a huge repository and they always keeps them updated, which in the case of Ubuntu is not like that. Ubuntu 9.04 even now doesn't support Firefox 3.5 officially and most of the popular packages are in the universal repositories than in the main, where as in Fedora they will be mostly present in the package manager itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom