SSD Performance boost

joecool

Broken In
How much of a performance boost does an SSD, say Samsung Pro 840 256 GB, provide?

Will just the read/write and boot-up/shutdown speeds increase, or will the overall execution speed of programs increase too.

I think a naive question but will the performance of say an i3 3220 with the above SSD be comparable with say an FX 6300/i5 4430 with a HDD.

(You can view my other post in relation to this - New PC for S/q development 50k)

thanks.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Only the read/write, boot and software load performance will be increased. Execution is done in Processor and it does not have relation wil storage performance. However, while working over very big data liek in Adobe Photoshop or CS6. the performance might be little better due to lower loading/saving time from SSD to Ram and vice versa.

Performance boost form SSD is also hugely dependent on the disk controller/chipset used on the motherboard. Does Your Storage Controller Affect The Performance Of An SSD? - Twelve SATA Controllers, Benchmarked

OP
J

joecool

Broken In
Excellent piece of info, Harshil. On a related note, check out The Best USB 3.0 Thumb Drive.

I recently bought a Transcend 700 USB 3.0 32 GB pendrive (I came across the above article only later :-( ). Unfortunately, on my MacBook (late 2007 model - 2 USB 2.0 ports, Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz + 4 GB 667 Mhz RAM), it is slower than my 2 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB 2.0 pen drive. Not sure why, but reading the reviews on FK, i had expected it to perform on my MacBook's 2.0 port as well. Anyways.

Top Bottom