Split colin spray in pc cabinet

Innara

Broken In
Spilt colin spray in pc cabinet

Hi guys, I'm panicking a bit right now cos I was cleaning my desk with colin spray today and stupidly removed the top cap. I accidentally split about quarter of the small colin bottle on my pc case while the power was switched off. Thankfully most of the liquid fell outside the case but some got into case via the air vents on top, so I immediately opened it and wiped out any liquid I could find. Most fell on my non stock cpu cooler/heatsink and a bit on graphics card). Unfortunately I can't dismantle the whole system cos I don't have the skill or tools (it was assembled by someone else for me) so I put the system under the fan with the case open.

My question...Is this likely to damage the system processor or motherboard if the system was fully switched off? do I need to start worrying right now and call someone to fix possible damage or should I wait a day till hopefully any remaining liquid dries and try turning it on?

Last edited:
Unless the liquid came into contact with a PCB you are fine. INspect for any visuble stains/spots in the motherboard. Try turning it on anyways.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Dismantle every component and let it dry for 3-4 days. Give it a good clean and put it back. I wouldn't rely on visual inspection if I were you- unless you want to risk it. water does not damae PCBs, but you will have to let it dry properly, which is why people suggest to keep any liquid that can be spilled easily to avoid that headache. I hope colin doesn't leave any residue once dried. which all the more makes sense to dismantle everything. once 3-4 days, see if there's anything gooey that sticks out. inspect it properly.

There are many guides online on how to assemble/disassemble PCs. Its not really that hard, especially considering you will be putting back the same components that you used.

next time, please don't use colin. Even for the exterior of the case. Just take a microfiber cloth and wipe it dry.

How did you spill colin on it? Don't they have that spray thingy?

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
I don't think there's any problem if you let it dry for a while and then turn it on.
And as Sorc. has said, dismantle, use one of the guides to assemble a PC. It's quite simple, as most connectors are marked and it can fit in just one way, so there's not much to worry.
Even if the liquid has got over the PCB, there's not much to worry about, as AFAIK, colin isn't conductive, and the PCB too is insulated, so there's not really a lot to worry about. Remove the components, as much as you can, the ram sticks, heat sinks, if they're removable, and the cpu heatsink and the processor too. Once done, clean them with a moist cloth, if you see any spots of liquid spillage. Take the motherboard out as well, and clean it up too with a dry cloth, and let it dry properly for a while, before putting back all the components.

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
Unless the liquid came into contact with a PCB you are fine. INspect for any visuble stains/spots in the motherboard. Try turning it on anyways.

Dismantle every component and let it dry for 3-4 days. Give it a good clean and put it back.
How did you spill colin on it? Don't they have that spray thingy?

I don't think there's any problem if you let it dry for a while and then turn it on.
And as Sorc. has said, dismantle, use one of the guides to assemble a PC. It's quite simple, as most connectors are marked and it can fit in just one way, so there's not much to worry.

Ok thanks all for your advice! I dismantled what parts I could but some I was having issues with couple of them but anyways I let it dry completely and turned it on. It is working fine :D hopefully the liquid does not have any corrosive property for any stains I missed. Tink it will be fine.
[MENTION=45938]The Sorcerer[/MENTION] actually i had to open the spray cap cos the spray tube was twisted to the side so I was trying to adjust so it will spray evenly. While doing that the bottle slipped and fell on my case. :|

Ok thanks all for your advice! I dismantled what parts I could but some I was having issues with couple of them but anyways I let it dry completely and turned it on. It is working fine :D hopefully the liquid does not have any corrosive property for any stains I missed. Tink it will be fine.
@The Sorcerer actually i had to open the spray cap cos the spray tube was twisted to the side so I was trying to adjust so it will spray evenly. While doing that the bottle slipped and fell on my case. :|

Glad to her that your PC is working fine. Do not use Colin however, to clean the cabinet.

Top Bottom