theraven

Technomancer
i still dont get whyh u should have that problem .. it shouldnt work tat way
a firewall cannot decrease ur system speed ... in ANYWAY
and now ur system is clean too :|
swat any ideas ?

crashuniverse

In the zone
well there is no point stickin' to the same firewall. u can give a try to other firewalls too. but windows xp one is really laggin' in the firewall race.

also give a try uninstalling the firewall completely and then running your applications. its pretty much possible in case of the conflict when two firewalls run on a network. in my case, my connection uses a router and when i used zone alarm it used to completely narrow the connection (1-2 kbps say), no sites used to open yet messengers were not dead. Cisco routers use in built pix firewalls.

Also post how do u get ur connection. which service?

[edited post: thanks to theraven]

swatkat

Technomancer
This is weird!
@reddick, have you given the permissions - in ZoneAlarm - for Svchost.exe, Spoolsv.exe, Lsass.exe (and other) Windows System files to access Internet? If not, then open the ZoneAlarm Control Center, and allow these processes to "access" Internet.

If you have already allowed these processes, then turn-off Pop-up, Ad and Cookie blocking in ZoneAlarm and then check with the Internet speed.

theraven

Technomancer
hehehe crashuniverse
thats ROUTER not ROUTHER .. and thats PIX not PRIX .. hehe .. just sounds really realllyyy wrong if ya know what i mean ;)
besided the firewall itself is called PIX .. its the product name ...
inbuilt into it is the ASA algorithm

o BTW ..
Cisco Routers dont have INBUILT PIX FIREWALLS
they are completely SEPARATE products

crashuniverse

In the zone
hi theraven
i wont' say they were spellin' mistakes :) that was what i knew, that applies only for pix/prix and not a router, okay? lol. anyways thanks a lot for the info. I m pretty much inclined towards Grand Prix these days. That might be the reason of conflict.

Anyways gettin' back to the root problem i guess there can be the problem 'cos of conflict and can be solved by completely uninstalling the firewall. What say?

And hey, dont be a harsh terminator from the next time. RFlol.

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
@reddick, have you given the permissions - in ZoneAlarm - for Svchost.exe, Spoolsv.exe, Lsass.exe (and other) Windows System files to access Internet? If not, then open the ZoneAlarm Control Center, and allow these processes to "access" Internet.

I open d 'Program Control' and in 'Programs' tab i did not c any programmes as told by u :roll: I think this may b d pro...One thing more that i have AVG Anti-Virus installed n works fine but ZoneAlarm is showing that their is no AntiVirus runing :shock: Why is it so???

theraven

Technomancer
@crashunivers i didnt terminate anything :d
i just saw an opportunity to give u a bit of more info .. and im not talkin abt the router/pix spellings

theya re 2 separate products and thats very important to know ... ;)

yes the easisest solution WOULD be to uninstall the firewall .. but thats not a solution as we need to ifnd a reason .. and there has to be one ...

yeah i would suggest a COMPLETE uninstall and then reinstalling ur firewall and checking it ..

this time whenever these programs ask for internet access grant them immediately

also since now ur system is clean theres no way to allow any malware to access the net either ;)
simple ..
test it out n let us know tomorrow

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Is this is d only way left out :oops: Can't u suggest me any other way?Actually my frnd told me that uninstalling firewall n again install it can interuppet ur net speed..Is it true :?:

expertno.1

Technomancer
i have a gprs conenction and i want to know that is there any really need of a firewall ?

coz i have not been using the firewall for the last two years

does the firewall decreases the net speed ?

anyone clear my doubts

i am unfamiliar with firewalls

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
well if u surf a lot of trojannin sites/spying sites and all those junk sites then a good fwall can block the trojans for security and also can protect ur valuabe info,

well, a firewall if properly configed will run flawlessly without any loss in data speeds.

I recommend u to use a light fwll like zone/sygate/black ice etc...

See tese for more info
*computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm
*www.answers.com/topic/firewall?method=5

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Here i wana tell u that ZoneAlarm is not a light programme...Did anyone uses sygate firewall...Wht r it's results..I wana shift frm ZoneAlarm to Sygate :wink: Any ideas!!!

crashuniverse

In the zone
i have a gprs conenction and i want to know that is there any really need of a firewall ?

it mainly depends on how infected ur gprs network is. when u connect to GPRS in bangalore/pune or other metros simple attacks put ur machine on remote shutdown. ur machine restarts and if a firewall is not used in this case, it happens every 5 mins :)

probably gprs in ur area doesnt have any such programs running, cos it normally works on search n destroy basis. checks for live connections, and when finds an appropriate ip, attacks it.

expertno.1

Technomancer
well tel me if i use firewall will there be any loss in speed or not ?

i dont browse such malacious sites

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Even u not surf corrupted sites,than also u r in danger...Who knows which is virused based site! Installing a gud firewall is like - PRECAUTION IS BETTER THAN CURE

expertno.1

Technomancer
but from the last two years i have not used firewall so it the time to use the firewll ?

aslo will it affect my net speed or not ?

crashuniverse

In the zone
there is a very lil' decrease in speed which is worth security u r gettin' and there is not alwasy problem with malicious sites only, u can be affected even if u keep ur connection alive for a considerable time without requesting any sites :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom