SPEED or SECURITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddick

Mobile Freak
I install 'Zone Alarm Pro 5.5' in my PC n using BSNL 'NetOne' as my ISP for surfing! The problem is that when d FireWall is turned on,my browsing speed becomes so slow.But whn I turned it off,my net speed boosts up high.In this case i have 2 choose one thing,SPEED or SECURITY...but i wana both of them.Because internet is full of threats!Plz tell me how 2 gain high speed not 2 turning Firewall off?I have 'WinXP SP1' as my OS.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Install SP2 for ur XP , it comes with a good firewall, basic but good enough...

Also, Zone is light, but wats ur sys config ?

Also, Speed vs. Security has always been a never ending debate...

anandk

Distinguished Member
dunno........i have installed zass and while on the net, dont experience a drop in speed....... basic config is what i have; inclu 256mb ram.

expertno.1

Technomancer
theres no any problem in that i am not sevn using any firewall in that

is there any harm in not using firewall ?

Charley

Just Do It
reddick said:
I install 'Zone Alarm Pro 5.5' in my PC n using BSNL 'NetOne' as my ISP for surfing! The problem is that when d FireWall is turned on,my browsing speed becomes so slow.But whn I turned it off,my net speed boosts up high.In this case i have 2 choose one thing,SPEED or SECURITY...but i wana both of them.Because internet is full of threats!Plz tell me how 2 gain high speed not 2 turning Firewall off?I have 'WinXP SP1' as my OS.

For trusted sites u can disable it and for the others use it even if its slow.

BTW thats a weird prob. Ive been using without any hassles.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
looks like many spieswares are residing on his comp and zap is busy defending em all...

Post an hijack this log and also see the amount of process zap takes when conneced to the net...usig the Task Manager of course...

Biplav

In the zone
well my speed did drop but initially i think give it some time it will put the sites that u regularly visit into secured zone .
and yes a weird problem.
i wud prefer za to windows sp2 firewall as it is more configurable.period.
and can u test ur speeds with www.zdnetindia.com and post ur results with firewall on and off?

superuser

Broken In
Install SP2 for ur XP , it comes with a good firewall, basic but good enough...

I totally agree to it. Yes windows Xp SP2 firewall is good enough

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Is their is no way 2 skip SP2 installation 2 gain good speed?Did u heared abt any other Firewall software which is light than ZoneAlarm and can do good job while surfing :roll:

Charley

Just Do It
reddick said:
Is their is no way 2 skip SP2 installation 2 gain good speed?Did u heared abt any other Firewall software which is light than ZoneAlarm and can do good job while surfing :roll:

I suggest u go for Tiny Firewall....

U cud try these also...

Black Ice Defender

Mcafee Personal Firewall

Sygate

theraven

Technomancer
windows firewall sux ..
its not for novice users ..
usage of security software depends largely on ur own knowledge ..
and windows firewall is not for any novice ..
it cant protect ur system from jack shit ..
its the most vulnerable firewall out there ... im ashamed to even call it a firewall ..

there is something really wrong with ur system. .. cuz a firewall can NEVER slow down ur net speed.
im using zone alarm and there is no way its slowed my net speed in any way ... except it uses a lil bandwidth to check for program updates .. which ofcourse u can turn off ...

i cant figure ur problem ... but zap is one of the best out there .. try shuttin the autoupdate feature and see if it makes a difference ..

anyways whats the speed of ur connection ?

anomit

In the zone
1. Personally, I won't recommend using both the Win Firewall and a third-party firewall together. Turn off the Win Firewall of and use only ZA.

2. Check the logs of your firewall. Too much activity shows the signs of spyware activity. Do a thruogh spyware scan to be sure.

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
anyways whats the speed of ur connection ?
I'm using internal modem n d speed is 33kbps approx. I scan whole my system 4 spyware n aidwares but found nothing...I defrag my HDD regularly too...This speed suxs...i gona FU*K BSNL :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom