Sound Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyan

Journeyman
i have an onboard 6-channel sound card on an ASUS A7V266-MX motherboard hosting an AMD Athlon 2400+ CPU and a 4.1 speaker system. i do get surround effect (front and rear speaker separation) but the sound effect is low. i mean i donot get much difference between the minimum and maximum volume settings. so, i got to put my speaker volume knob to a higher position. why i am saying this is that, if i connect my speaker system to a cd player, i put it to a low level to get the same output. is there any way to make my system output higher? are the 'speaker volume' and the 'device volume' one and the same in sounds and audio devices in control panel? 'cause, both the sliders move at a time when i move one of them (ie spkr vlm & dev vlm). My earlier system which had a Mercury 810e intel chipset motherboard gives a higher output of sound through the onboard sound.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Is your speaker real 4.1 channel or pseudo 4.1 channel? As far a I now device volume is for ur sound card/adapter and speaker volume is for setting output volume of speakers(plz correct me if I am wrong). Which speaker do u use? Could u plz give more details. And how have u connected the speakers now and its setting in ur OS. Which software do u use?

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
1) Yeah!!! i use Intex IT 3000W pmpo 4.1 channel speakers. i got a subwoofer and four satellite speakers. i got two input chords (stereo) to plugin to the pc. they are not pseudo i.e. i get seperate sounds from each of the four satellite speakers and a dts effect while playing dvds or similar videos through power dvd. and it ran well with the tests provided with the sound max driver. for further information, i give u the other specifications of my speakers:
Output power : 50W + 25 * 4 (RMS)
Speaker units: Subwoofer: 4"
Satellite : 3" (shielded)
Frequency resp : amp-- 20Hz - 20kHz
sat. -- 30Hz - 20kHz
2) for the second qn, i also thought of that in the same way. but when i change one, the other one also changes to the same level. that was why i got a doubt. if they are one and the same, why would they guys give different names to confuse us?

3)i connect my speakers this way

--> the front (left and right) and the subwoofer are connected together and are given to the main Line out of the pc.
--> the rear satellite speakers are connected to the mic pin.
--> the line in pin would have been used for the center and subwoofer if i had a 5.1 speaker system

-- in my os,( XP pro sp1), i go to ctrl pnl>snds & audio dev> advanced for the type of speakers.
the volume bar is right up there. i get the spkr vol from the button beside the adv button. observe one thing.. place the two windows (dev prop wdw and adv audio prop wdw) side by side and move any of the two sliders. the device volume moves to the higher of the speaker volume.

4) i was provided with the Sound Max AD 1980 drivers.

Thanks for your help. and i would be most happy to have more help from u. sorry if i have troubled u by giving more information.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Strange problem Kalyan, just blew away all my doubts but problem still remains. But thanks for good detailed reply. See if SoundMax has its own control panel as seperate soundcards have. Actually I also have SoundMax intergrated but use Creative card instead which has its own setting panel. Sorry if I was not able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom