Sony "in talks" with Microsoft about a Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
Sony "in talks" with Microsoft about a Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive

*www.engadgethd.com/media/2008/03/3-6-08-360withbluray.jpg
[....]According to Stan Glasgow, Sony Electronics US president, "Sony is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360." For whatever it's worth, the exec also noted that it was having similar discussions with Apple, which has yet to even offer a Blu-ray option on any of its machines. Unfortunately, not a peep was uttered about potential launch dates and the like, but you can rest assured that we'll be keeping an ear dangerously close to the ground.[...]

Source: Engadget

_​

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It's obvious, Microsoft said that they will be releasing Blue Ray disk drive if there is market demand, so now there is. Atleast they did not bundle HD DVD with XBOX 360 to push HD DVD, they were playing fare & what the users asked for

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
yea..i think they will dispose of the hd-dvd drive and come in with a hd-bluray dual drive as an accessory..else ps3 will run away with the title..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
hmm .. may be they should release a xbox360 version with BR drive inbuilt as well as external drive for those who already have xbox360.

slugger

Banned
Atleast they did not bundle HD DVD with XBOX 360 to push HD DVD, they were playing fare & what the users asked for

I haver never for once doubted the goodness of heart and spirit of fairplay practised M.S employees and owners

but
cud it also b that in order to keep the prices of XBOX consoles down, M.S decided not to ship it with HD drives?
instead ship it with an on-its-way-out DVD drive, which in all likelyhood wud be relegated to the pages of history in 2-3 years time

And then XBOX 360 owners wud have bot a HDDVD-Drive (if it had won the race). Then M.S. would have earned the royalties on the sale of HD-drives.

Aaji nahi to kal pasia M.S. ke galle mein pahuch hi jaata

After all it had to compete with 2 other consoles, the Wii costin a fraction of wat d others do

OFFTOPIC

@charan

so good to see you postin again. i hope u found a way to balnce ur work and forum activities :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I haver never for once doubted the goodness of heart and spirit of fairplay practised M.S employees and owners

but cud it also b that in order to keep the prices of XBOX consoles down, M.S decided not to ship it with HD drives?

What an obvious & already known reason u just said.
Aaji nahi to kal pasia M.S. ke galle mein pahuch hi jaata

It's not wrong to make money.

slugger

Banned
What an obvious & already known reason u just said.

It's not wrong to make money.

cost cuttin is the ONLY reason y M.S did not ship their 360 consoles with in-built HDDVD drives

if they think they cud have got away with it, they mite even have shipped their consoles with 2 HDDVD drives and passed on the cost to the consumers.

When people r in the business of making money, they give a dammn about playin fare. It is a concept practised by all companies, without exceptions. U being an MBA aspirant shud know dat better than the rest.

Only an extremely clever and shrewed individual can find ways of maximising profits. Just be brave enough to admit. Those claims of fare play is pure 100% bovine excreta

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Last edited:
OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
On topic, Sony already sold it's Blue-Ray business to Toshiba, so sony is not holding exclusive rights over it anymore. And Sony isn't going to make much profit from more blue ray drives going out on shelves.
what do you mean ? Sony never had any exclusive rights over blu-ray..
It is called Blu-Ray Disc Association and it has the following members:
*www.blu-raydisc.com/general_information/Section-14009/Index.html

Sony happens to get more press cos its a major player

btw what does this mean "Sony already sold it's Blue-Ray business to Toshiba" rofl

Sony (and the partners) IS(ARE) going to make a lot of profit from disc royalties.

anyway care to quote your source ? thanks :D

p.s. its Blu not Blue :p

_

Voldy

The Dark lord
these has to happened but wht abt those customers who has x360 with HD-DVD drives ?those customers x360 feeling right now like a burnt toast thrown in the dustbin.:lol: i think MS could figured out something for those customers

these has to happened but wht abt those customers who has x360 with HD-DVD drives ?those customers x360 feeling right now like a burnt toast thrown in the dustbin.:lol: i think MS could figured out something for those customers
what abt..ms will give free Blueray players for Xbox360 HD-dvd buyers...
coz..i own Xbox360 HD-dvd player..and i am soo :mad:......

It's obvious, Microsoft said that they will be releasing Blue Ray disk drive if there is market demand, so now there is. Atleast they did not bundle HD DVD with XBOX 360 to push HD DVD, they were playing fare & what the users asked for
and strangely, my prospects of buying an xbox 360(basic) is suddenly rather high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom