Sony DVD writer problem........

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnthenet

Journeyman
Hi......
I have a Sony DVD writer bought before 6 months........
It was working fine............but now I am not able to read many DVD-R dvds even those which are playing well in my DVD player (Connected to TV).

It reads all digit dual layer dvds but fails in reading many DVD-R... When I put those in my drive...they show it as
total space : 0 & used space : 0 in properties.......
What shall I do..........I even have warranty.............

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
No........ I want to know if its possible........... Bcoz the person may put some other dvd format and it will work......... He might not beleve me...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try this and see if it helps :
Assuming those dvd's are video dvd's. Install K lite mega codec pack and insert the dvd when xp is loading.
Also some video dvd's have some issues with computer dvd drive i think.

Beta Waves

Journeyman
I had the same problem along with that ther was also problem in Writing RWs too ... I updated my firmware and all the problems were solved.... Better go for a firmware update....

J

joy.das.jd

Well if the G170 series writer then you MUST go to the dealer and get it replaced.. Believe me even i had problem with that model of the sony DVD writer and i got are placement for the drive. But try the firmware update first.It might solve your problem without going to the dealer

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
try a dvd lens cleaner...flash the drive
i doubt they will work
sony current range of optical drives should be avoided at all cost...i have one of those..and it has the same problem with no solution and this forum should have a section dedicated to optical drives showcasing problems reported by people for each model warning potential buyer off it

i have the sony dru-810a which is still running strong and the sony dru-170c (optiarc one rebranded i think)newer one has lots of problem and chip pr digit gave it a high score if i remember it correctly...damn!

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
chip pr digit gave it a high score if i remember it correctly...damn!

Thats because..performance wise its till one of the best in the market !

Here are your options.A firmware update may solve your problem but chances of that are slim.If its a AWG-170 drive (DRU 170C) then the latest firmware is 1.74.(You wont find this update on sony website..i got it from cdfreaks.) Update it and see what happens.

If your problem is bot corrected then get it repaired form service centre.

And for your unreadable DVD-rs ..use isobuster..you will probably recoever the data. Thats because this problem happens only in win32 environment..in dos mode it works fine.

If yoy dont have the latest firmware and the flashing tool..ask for it to me..I can provide that...but use it at your own risk

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
yes that the problem with these ratings and many such online...it cannot reveal what happened after a passage of time..the thing is stress testing is not part of it if im not wrong...
it is fast but it is also ages fast

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
Yes.............its the same DRU 170C............................
I had never had problems with sony drives... Thats why I went into buying that.........
Anyway......thanks a lot 4 all of u........
I will try all solution

BTW, mine is DRU-170C..........
Can u give me the link for that firmware?????

Last edited:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
firmware 1.73
*liggydee.cdfreaks.com/disclaimer/en/7170a/173_orig.zip.html

for a full list go below
*liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7170A/
just find original sony.....

windows based flashing tool
*binflash.cdfreaks.com/

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Yep, Liggy-Dee have the best firmwares, I solved my problem by flashing a AD-7170A RPC1 firmware, you can try that if your drive is AW-G170A.

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
I will better try claiming warranty first as doing the expt. w'd result in losing the warranty...
I case I do not get it replaced......I will try this............
Anyway thanks a lot........ I never knew about all this earlier.

Orionz

Nebula was here,15 yrs back
Yep, Liggy-Dee have the best firmwares, I solved my problem by flashing a AD-7170A RPC1 firmware, you can try that if your drive is AW-G170A.

Dude i have just Flashed my drive with above firmware,
173_rpc1
as you mentioned but it is not working....i have this
problem from past few month..... :-(

......latest firmware is 1.74

where is tat!!!????

Last edited:

Orionz

Nebula was here,15 yrs back
After installing 173_rpc1 DVD Decrypter is not detecting my AW-G170a Drive.

N Changing cable will not make any job.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom