Sony DVD RW Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Hi. Friends
I Have Sony DVD RW (AW-G170A) Drive. I Had Purchased It An Year Before. But Now It Is Showing An Problem. It Refuses To Read Data From DVD-R Till Now It Was Working Fine.

It Reads Data From Branded DVD's i.e. Digit Dual DVD's etc. But It Does Not Read Writed DVD's in XP. I Tried It In Windows Vista It Worked Fine. But I Dosenot Work Fine In XP.

Earlier I Bought An Movie DVD. But It Says Blank Disc I Cannot Browse The Disc Through Explorer But I Can Watch Movies Through PowerDVD PowerDVD Reads That Disc Even Nero InfoTool Shows Me My Disc Name But I Am Unable To Read The Discs. What Should I Do? Any Suggestion?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Clean the DVD lens using the "Philips DVD lens cleaner". don't use those cheap liquid based cleaners. they will ruin the lens.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i have faced this problem with the same writer..first it was not burning, then it cant read brnt disc...then it cant read digit dvd...
your writer lens has failed...most probably a lens replacement if possible might do the job..take it to the place where you bought it or service center to check it out..
fortunately mine was still in warranty and took it to rashi peripherals..and got a new boxed replacement sony dru-190A

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Ya, I Tried It But It Didn't Work.

okay. if it's still under warranty, take it to the service center and get it replaced. should be a problem with lens.

and btw, did you check that by inserting it in any other PC. problem with IDE cable can also create such issues.

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
It's Not In Warranty. So What Should I Do
My Friend Told Me To Update Its Firmware?
So Will I Go For It Or Not?

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
If hv knowledge abt hardware then unscrew ur optical drive having problem & then clean dust with soft pc of cloth or air blower.....it will work fine.

Warning: Don't play with lens.

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
But It Reads All CD Rom's.
Then I Do Not Think There Will Be Problem With Lens.

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Unfortunately Firmware Upgrade only upgrades software features of the Drive.If the lens has gone bad, firmware update wont help.

amritpal2489

In the zone
m facing the same issue.... sony roms are known to cause such probs... mostly the OEM ones..... nt the box packd...

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
But My Parents Are Not Giving Permission To Break The Seal Of My Writer.

When I Asked My Bro Then He Told There Might Be Problem With Your OS.
And Told To Re Install The OS.
Will It Work?

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
well, its like hit and trial, which can always be tried.

If your current installation has gone cukoo and is not able to check hardwares properly.
If you are instaling XP it wont take much time but to have all softwares back installed will take time. But if you reformat then surely tell us the result.

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
But My Parents Are Not Giving Permission To Break The Seal Of My Writer.

When I Asked My Bro Then He Told There Might Be Problem With Your OS.
And Told To Re Install The OS.
Will It Work?

noway, os reinstallation won't solve hardware damage. use cleaners instead.

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Ya I Tried Cleaning The Lens. And I Found That Some CD's Are Reading When I Restart My PC Again And Again. I Tried My Adobe CS3 Master Collection DVD When I Inserted It, It Showed Me Blank Disc. But After A Few Hours When I Switched On My PC Back It Was Reading. The Same Happened With My XP DVD.

Yogesh Sarkar

Broken In
Time to change the DVD writer, happens all the time. Usually my DVD/CD drive only work for a year or so and after that I have to change them.

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
Time to change the DVD writer, happens all the time. Usually my DVD/CD drive only work for a year or so and after that I have to change them.
one year is not the life time of a writer.i hav many pals who have used it for more than 3 years(noraml use).the problem must be with the ide cable.change it!!you have to use 80 conductor/ide not the 40 one.all the best:)

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i think it might have something to do with laser that are used for DVD reading and burning...since the laser for the CD may be a different one..

SO even if it can read cd, that doesnt mean that it should read DVD...and nothing is wrong with the unit

it shows that your unit laser component might have weakened and about to fail sooner or later. Instead of wasting further time, get it serviced or buy a new unit. That's it

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Hi
Friends I Found That The DVD-RW Media Has Me Croupt And So It Is Not Reading Discs I Got The Solution That Change The Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.