Sony Cybershot W80

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I bought a Sony Cybershot W80 digi cam today from Sony world for 15k on EMI, Total cost 15.5K.

*img208.imageshack.us/img208/8526/dsc00921sp2.jpg

I needed this for as point & shoot camera which even my mom can use, the good thing I liked in this is that once I have manually set the exposure, autofocus etc.....it's just point & shoot.

The digi cam's memory card which is a Memory Stick Pro duo similar to the one I use in my Sony Ericsson K750i.

Now, I use ACDSee 10 & Photoshop CS3 for all my digital image management & editing, but due to this digicam I switced to Adobe Lightroom which is a tad better cos even my family members & sisters can use Lightroom. Photoshop is over kill for them. Lightroom automatically copies the photos from memory card, makes a folder with today's date & copies them to the computer & deletes from the memory card. Colour correcting images, resizing them etc is also very easy in Lightroom.

Bundled with the camera were the usual stuff
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80 camera
  • NP-BG1 rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  • Battery charger
  • Wrist strap
  • USB + A/V cable
  • CD-ROM featuring Picture Motion Browser and drivers
  • 1 GB Memory Stick Pro duo free
The charger is a seperate device, you have to take the battery out of the camera, put it in the device & then charge using a wall charger. It would have been better if Sony would have provided USB charging too. This is now the charger looks like..

*img208.imageshack.us/img208/815/camerabatteryga7.jpg

The good thing I liked about this camera was that it can capture videos at 640X480 pixel at 30 FPS. That's near DVD quality videos, but it captures in MPEG Codec format due to which file size are huge. Capturing in MP4 would have been better.

The face detection system works flawless, & just like any K series phone from Sony having autofocus, in this camera to activate autofocus press the click button halfway to hear a familiar tone, which means it has focused automatically. For my usage, ISO 200 works flawlessly.

The menu system is good & the changes u make show up immediately on the LCD. I still have to buy a pouch for the camera.

Another good thing is that If i capture a movie, I can output it directly to a TV with the bundled Cable.

Here are some of the unedited pics taken from the cam. I decided to take the pics at 3 MP cos anything more then that is not required.

*www.flickr.com/photos/gxsaurav/2102775429/

*www.flickr.com/photos/gxsaurav/2102775433/

Now, I m not a review writer & I still have to play with the cam, so you can read a better review here.

More to come....

Last edited:

anurag_online

Broken In
Well I hve Canon S5IS..

*www.flickr.com/photos/anuragbhateja

Have a look ;)

And yes it show 7.2 MP but this matter only if the sensor is according to that. If the image sensor is small then there is no use of 7 MP lens.

My cam is 8 MP with effective 8MP!!! also it has 12x optical zoom. Th cam relly rocks in quality it gives. The super fine quality of image can be pinted on A3 size wih best quality easily. Also it has many modes for both amatures and pros.

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
On the advice of anurag, I have decided to keep the settings at auto right now & will play with the exposure & AF settings one by one...

Oh! & I m back to ACDSee, ditched Lightroom. All my sister has to do is to connect the camera & copy files.

I also checked the TV out of the Camera, well...Videos play gorgeous on my LG Flatron TV (4 years old model)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
which is the cam u used to take the pic of the cam thats a sexy cam too :p

btw i got the Sony t200 for 15k without bill :D it rox my uncle took it said u get another 1 :(

arunks

Hey here is the aks
gx_saurav

u must have purchased Sony DSC T200

this was available at 19990rs. 2months back and now it is available in 14990

so this is better to purchase in 15000 rather than w80.
nways w80 is very decent digi cam...
congrats on purchasing it

x3060

A LOTR fan
how is sony t200 mate ? did you fiddle with it :). how are the pictures . . post a review please :).

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i fiddled with it boy i damn fiddled with it for 3 days (i was banned the whole time so the review was shelved)

The touch screen is simply spectacular 3.5" i mean damn that screen is so cool u jus love clicking with it

The video shooting is mind blowing i took 20 min vdos and saw them on a tv the audio was very clear from a digi cam it is better than expectations atleast IMHO and the video well on the 29" it was a treat to watch ;)

The fotographs during the day - oh man boy have no words to describe them full hd 1080p the pix are gorgeous

i uploaded a very few of them in full size on devainart:

*mav3.deviantart.com/gallery/ - the 3 pix u see are the cam's result me and my brother went berserk and took a lot of pix and there are pix which are more beautiful than these

during the day this cam was nothing short of spectacular

but the night pix were a lil disappointing werent so clear not bad but didnt come out as beautiful

The zoom OMG the zoom i took nudes in Goa from a distance where the subject wont even realize im clicking them and damn the pics were crystal

The software:

i just loved it

There is a music while slideshow option u have 4 pre-loaded tunes which play while watching a slideshow on the cam - i mean how cool is that it just makes the slideshow viewing on a 3.5" a really good experience

and guess what u can load ur own tunes to be played

image editing basic image editing features like rotating; resizing; red eye on the cam itself and u can save the re-sized image in hd or vga upto u which again is something wow

ok what else was there ....

ya again the software - face recognition it will detect a face and focus on it u even have the option of manually clicking on a part which is a face so the cam focuses on it; it also has a smile recog thingy but i couldnt get it to work properly so cant say now

The cam as is looks very sexy the black 1 is too sexy man though i liked the maroon 1 in pics but wasnt available

Theres a lot more in the software which iv forgotten like u have cliparts which allow u to fiddle with the image which was fun u had footballs; hearts; clouds all sorts of stuff

and yeah this reminds me there are 15 pre-defined frames for the images which is seriously 1 cool feature add frames to ur image within the cam all touch

now the bad:

other than the night mode which i didnt find so upto the mark (after tweaking with the modes too) the problem is that the camera is very thin and flash bulb is positioned at the top left of the cam so while holding the cam to take pix is a lil un-comfortable as its a weird finger position u need to take much like u need to hold the cam with 2 fingers of ur left land thumb down and middle or pointer on top else chances of ur fingers covering part of the lens are more (iv screwed some good pix like that but in such cases the auto-resize feature is handy)

damn i just posted a full review of a device i used 3 weks ago and i still remmber every bit of those 3 days so u can well imagine what the device is like :p

for 15k without bill theres no cam that match it ;)

Sony Page for T200

PS: im not so excited about technological gadgets generally and am known for being very critical but this baby just made me go bonkers :p

Last edited:

x3060

A LOTR fan
:) . . so its a good one :) . . i will buy a cam sometime later in next year . just for point click . but its sad that you gave it away . . snatch it from your uncle mate ;-)

x3060

A LOTR fan
:) . . so its a good one :) . . i will buy a cam sometime later in next year . just for point click . but its sad that you gave it away . . snatch it from your uncle mate ;-)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
which is the cam u used to take the pic of the cam thats a sexy cam too :razz:

That's my "personal Camera", K750i :D

this was available at 19990rs. 2months back and now it is available in 14990

so this is better to purchase in 15000 rather than w80.
nways w80 is very decent digi cam...
congrats on purchasing it

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why does all the advice is coming after I have purchased the cam. Anyway, T200 was 24k so had to skip it.

I tried the videos, uploading one video i made of my doggie today, I m converting videos to DivX cos that's the best for archiving at 1 mbps bitrate. Quicktime H.264 is good but it takes lots of time to encode in H.264

*cid-eccd256d4687f1cc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Files/Munmun.mp4

Just took some more pics of the day light, that's my garden,...

*www.flickr.com/photos/gxsaurav/2105247412/

The zoom OMG the zoom i took nudes in Goa from a distance where the subject wont even realize im clicking them and damn the pics were crystal

Nooooooooooooooo that's the only reason to buy this cam....iMav where were u 2 days ago..

(P.S - Send me those pics ASAP :D)

There is a music while slideshow option u have 4 pre-loaded tunes which play while watching a slideshow on the cam - i mean how cool is that it just makes the slideshow viewing on a 3.5" a really good experience

and guess what u can load ur own tunes to be played

image editing basic image editing features like rotating; resizing; red eye on the cam itself and u can save the re-sized image in hd or vga upto u which again is something wow

All these are there in W80 too.

Theres a lot more in the software which iv forgotten like u have cliparts which allow u to fiddle with the image which was fun u had footballs; hearts; clouds all sorts of stuff

and yeah this reminds me there are 15 pre-defined frames for the images which is seriously 1 cool feature add frames to ur image within the cam all touch

nice....:(

I m planning to go out today, will take pics of outside places...then have to study for SNAP too...c ya

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Damn...now I m feeling bad for my purchase, Canon has 6X optical zoom...

but canon is also big, & not that good of a point & shoot cam like cybershot.

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
gx_saurav said:
Damn...now I m feeling bad for my purchase, Canon has 6X optical zoom...

but canon is also big, & not that good of a point & shoot cam like cybershot.

i think canon is always guru in cam world, as how apple in i-pod's,no need to worry already you purchased cybershot, what we can do now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom