Solving a Rubik's Cube

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Congrats.. welcome to the club :D , the time will decrease as you solve more and more and understand how the corners and edges move around. it will comedown to 5 minutes and then to 120 seconds. after than you need to learn more advanced techniques to reduce the time. I still cannot cut down from 35 seconds to 30 seconds.. takes hell lot of algorithms.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
^^ Congrats.. welcome to the club :D , the time will decrease as you solve more and more and understand how the corners and edges move around. it will comedown to 5 minutes and then to 120 seconds. after than you need to learn more advanced techniques to reduce the time. I still cannot cut down from 35 seconds to 30 seconds.. takes hell lot of algorithms.
Thanks, buddy.
there are many.. 100+ but I know know about 20-30 max.
I don't even know a single one. Can you share some links.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
algorithms are mainly applied in the last layer. First two layers have algorithm's but almost all solvers including me use intuitive methods i.e., recognizing where piece should go and putting the piece in the location.

there are two steps when solving the last layer.

Orientation of Last Layer(OLL) i.e., make all yellow pieces face the top layer and Permutation of Last Layer (PLL) i.e., putting all pieces at correct place to solve the cube.
in one step OLL there are 57 algos, and in one step PLL's there are 21. its not required to learn all if you are not trying to break any records :p

Learn 2 Look OLL (only 9) and 2 Look PLL(6) . Learn 2 Look PLL's first as its easy and with these you should be able to achieve 60-90 seconds in few weeks.

2 Look OLL - h*tp://www.badmephisto.com/2LookOLL.pdf

2 Look PLL - h*tp://www.badmephisto.com/2LookPLL.pdf

Original Pages -
Badmephisto's Cubing Site: OLL's
Badmephisto's Cubing Site: PLL's

Get comfortable with the first two layers. practice a lot. after you are comfortable you can learn the last layer algorithms.

AGAIN: LEARN 2 LOOK PLL FIRST when learning the last layer

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
I don't know how I missed this thread :lol: :D

why people often try and fail to solve a Rubik's cube is that they try to solve every side at the same time, it doesn't work like that. a Rubik's cube is generally solved layer by layer, there are about 7 steps involved. and one can learn in two days. one of my friend solved it in 6 hrs straight with instructions from me :) ..

follow this guide and one can learn within two days.

Solve Rubik's Cube 3x3 - Stage 1

PS:
Pogobat's tuts are one of the worst, badmephisto's is one of the best, but it might be confusing for absolute beginners.

anyway here is the link for his tut How to solve a Rubik's Cube - YouTube

EDIT: Before anyone can ask, Yes, I can solve the Rubik's cube, currently ranked #376 in India. my current average solve time is about 35 seconds. :)

i do it in 1 min 22 sec and acted like god in front of my friends..:D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
i do it in 1 min 22 sec and acted like god in front of my friends..:D

that's a good time, Now learn F2L (First Two Layers), its basically paring a corner and edge piece and inserting into the corners like this image shown below.

*www.speedsolving.com/wiki/images/f/f9/Fridrich_method.gif

this will take about a weeks or two to learn, initially solving speed will go up to 5 minutes, but will drastically reduce once you get the hang of F2L.

when I was learning F2L it took 2-3 weeks. my time went from 5 minutes to 55 seconds and then by practice dropped to 35 seconds. you would also need a good cube to perform finger tricks to achieve the low time.

let me know if you require more info.

F2L video

what are finger tricks.. watch it ;)

EDIT: BTW.. once you learn F2L it will be totally intuitive.

Last edited:

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
that's a good time, Now learn F2L (First Two Layers), its basically paring a corner and edge piece and inserting into the corners like this image shown below.

*www.speedsolving.com/wiki/images/f/f9/Fridrich_method.gif

this will take about a weeks or two to learn, initially solving speed will go up to 5 minutes, but will drastically reduce once you get the hang of F2L.

when I was learning F2L it took 2-3 weeks. my time went from 5 minutes to 55 seconds and then by practice dropped to 35 seconds. you would also need a good cube to perform finger tricks to achieve the low time.

let me know if you require more info.

F2L video

what are finger tricks.. watch it ;)

EDIT: BTW.. once you learn F2L it will be totally intuitive.

Thanks. Will try it out once i get my vacations going.

axelzdly1

mR.coNfusEd
Im currently at 90-seconds average with my modded Rubik's original.. I'm using CFOP method with 2 look OLL , 2 look PLL.., and trying to master fingertricks to reduce my avg to <60 seconds.. btw @rcuber uncle, are you in SCMU Facebook group ji..? :-D

ajai5777

Youngling
When I tried to learn it, every tutorial came with lot of algorithms which made no sense to me like R,F,Ri,L etc etc. I hated doing that way and wanted to do this in a logical way without byhearting algorithms and I searched for methods. I got logical methods for first and second layer. But in order to solve the 3rd layer there are no absolute logical way. But I learned a method without algorithms as equations but easy to remember steps. Now I can solve in 5-6 minutes and I can teach anyone how to solve in 15 minutes. But algorithms and speed cubing is not for me.

When I tried to learn it, every tutorial came with lot of algorithms which made no sense to me like R,F,Ri,L etc etc. I hated doing that way and wanted to do this in a logical way without byhearting algorithms and I searched for methods. I got logical methods for first and second layer. But in order to solve the 3rd layer there are no absolute logical way. But I learned a method without algorithms as equations but easy to remember steps. Now I can solve in 5-6 minutes and I can teach anyone how to solve in 15 minutes. But algorithms and speed cubing is not for me.
Pardon me for poking my nose, but you may want to rectify your thoughts on what an algorithm is.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Im currently at 90-seconds average with my modded Rubik's original.. I'm using CFOP method with 2 look OLL , 2 look PLL.., and trying to master fingertricks to reduce my avg to <60 seconds.. btw @rcuber uncle, are you in SCMU Facebook group ji..? :-D

Modded cubes are no good if you don't have lubricant in the cube. I take up to 55 seconds in a original Rubik's branded cube. others I can do it in 35 seconds.. finger tricks takes practice. as you are using CFOP method, your average should be less than 60 seconds. maybe even less than 45. get a better cube. there is active cubers community in Mumbai, check with them they might also be selling cubes.

Top Bottom