Solving a Rubik's Cube

OP
T

The Conqueror

I have the funskool cube but I find it hard to disassemble it. Of late I have noticed that earlier it used to "jam" while cutting corners but its becoming smoother !
Should I get a new cube or is this fine enough for speed cubing? (I don't want to break any records, even 3 minutes is fine for me)
I have seen the badmephisto's Beginner's tutorial and its been only 2 days and now my solving time is like 10-11 minutes. Of the seven steps, the CROSS and the Middle Layer I can do it intuitively. For other layers I memorized the algorithms(that's what badmephisto recommended in his video). Should I start with his speedcubing videos or should I try to bring down more time in the beginner's method?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I have the funskool cube but I find it hard to disassemble it. Of late I have noticed that earlier it used to "jam" while cutting corners but its becoming smoother !
Should I get a new cube or is this fine enough for speed cubing? (I don't want to break any records, even 3 minutes is fine for me)
I have seen the badmephisto's Beginner's tutorial and its been only 2 days and now my solving time is like 10-11 minutes. Of the seven steps, the CROSS and the Middle Layer I can do it intuitively. For other layers I memorized the algorithms(that's what badmephisto recommended in his video). Should I start with his speedcubing videos or should I try to bring down more time in the beginner's method?

no get the time down to 3 minutes or less.. your hands must get used to the cube. you need to practice a lot .. like atleast 10-12 solves a day, or an hr or two. practice is important because you brain need to recognize the patterns and your hand need to develop muscle memory.

learn 2 look PLL and OLL in that order
h**p://www.badmephisto.com/2LookPLL.pdf
h**p://www.badmephisto.com/2LookOLL.pdf

EDIT:
you cannot speed solve with funskool branded ones without extensive modding. I can get a average of 50 seconds with that brand. you cannot do finger tricks with that. For finger tricks you need to get a DIY cube, almost all non Rubik's(funskool) branded cubes are DIY cubes, in these cubes you can adjust the spring tension. the centers have a cap which allow access to the screw for adjusting tension.

BTW Disassembling a cube is not hard , just turn the top face 45º and pop open the edge.

check this *www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1Jbzy5Pnk

For modding the funskool one, I usually take about 45 minutes to 60 minutes to mod it.

I use a finger nail file, disassemble the cube a file the edges smooth, you can also use fine grade sandpaper. its a delicate process take time else you will make the cube worse.

here is a vid of modding *www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC_hpkxLZdQ

Last edited:

Shah

Cyborg Agent
@RCuber: I'm thinking of getting a speedcube, preferably stickerless. I have two choices now.

1. Get something like Ghost Hand v2 and practice in it for a few months and then get a ZhanChi or GuHong.

2. Just get a ZhanChi or GuHong straight away.

What should I have to do now? Need your inputs, buddy.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@RCuber: I'm thinking of getting a speedcube, preferably stickerless. I have two choices now.

1. Get something like Ghost Hand v2 and practice in it for a few months and then get a ZhanChi or GuHong.

2. Just get a ZhanChi or GuHong straight away.

What should I have to do now? Need your inputs, buddy.

I haven't used any ghost hand cubes so no idea about those,
I have the following models with me.
Type F-II, Alpha V, Cube4You (2 models), and couple of more. I also like Type F-II. Don't get Type F-III It has issues. But the best one is Dayan cubes, due to it being very smoother.

In Dayan, I have not used any newer cubes(Zhanchi or Guhong V2), these have torpedos in the edges so the edges wont pop during a solve.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
After reading the reviews, I find the Dayan 5 ZhanChi to be better. But, Don't know If I can handle it. That's why I thought of buying something a tad slower than ZhanChi. Anyway, Thanks!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
After reading the reviews, I find the Dayan 5 ZhanChi to be better. But, Don't know If I can handle it. That's why I thought of buying something a tad slower than ZhanChi. Anyway, Thanks!
Those are DIY cubes, you can tension the cube to suit your speed needs.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Then, ZhanChi it is. ;)

BTW, Why not create a seperate thread for Rubik's Cube discussion?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
There is already one

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/chit-chat/141667-any-cubers-here.html

OP
T

The Conqueror

no get the time down to 3 minutes or less.. your hands must get used to the cube. you need to practice a lot .. like atleast 10-12 solves a day, or an hr or two. practice is important because you brain need to recognize the patterns and your hand need to develop muscle memory.

learn 2 look PLL and OLL in that order
h**p://www.badmephisto.com/2LookPLL.pdf
h**p://www.badmephisto.com/2LookOLL.pdf

EDIT:
you cannot speed solve with funskool branded ones without extensive modding. I can get a average of 50 seconds with that brand. you cannot do finger tricks with that. For finger tricks you need to get a DIY cube, almost all non Rubik's(funskool) branded cubes are DIY cubes, in these cubes you can adjust the spring tension. the centers have a cap which allow access to the screw for adjusting tension.

BTW Disassembling a cube is not hard , just turn the top face 45º and pop open the edge.

check this 3x3 Rubik's Cube Disassembly Tutorial (v2) - YouTube

For modding the funskool one, I usually take about 45 minutes to 60 minutes to mod it.

I use a finger nail file, disassemble the cube a file the edges smooth, you can also use fine grade sandpaper. its a delicate process take time else you will make the cube worse.

here is a vid of modding 3x3 Mod: MAKES YOUR CUBE WAY FASTER! - YouTube
Thank you :)

Top Bottom