[SOLVED] Ubuntu package installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubusam13

Human
help help help..... i m new to Ubuntu and this has become a headache.

! month ago I installed ubuntu 10.10. Then I downloaded many .deb packages and saved those in my hard disk for future use. Due to some circumstances I have to uninstall ubuntu later.

Now after 3 months I again Installed ubuntu 10.10.
I have gone to system> administration>synaptic package manager > File (menu) > add downloaded packages.
I selected all the packages I have previously saved in my hard disk. I had my Internet disconnected then. After selecting when I apply changes, installation fails.

I now connected my Internet and clicked apply changes. Now synaptic in again downloading the packages from the Internet. But I have already those packages stored in my hard disk.

Even when I double click a deb life, installation fail.

PS: last time i found on internet a guy suggested some changes in "software sources". I forgot what changes but it worked then

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Re: Ubuntu package installation help

Is your APT been interrupted? In that case apt-get -f will fix the problem.

If the PC is connected, post the output of any apt-get to debug.

Code:
sudo apt-get install screen

Post the output. Make sure you enclose them in [NOPARSE]
Code:
[/NOPARSE] tags.

For offline installation of packages, check out *askubuntu.com/questions/974/how-can-i-install-software-offline

utkarsh009

In the zone

these steps may help :

1. try sudo apt-get update.
2. next time backup everything in /var/cache/apt. for now you can add those repositories (if other than default) from which you downloaded.
3. it may have unmet dependencies. so you may wanna try downloading the tarball.

abhijangda

Padawan

One of the problems, will be that you may have dependencies, which can only be downloaded from internet through repositories or you may have dependencies which are not present in repositories, post the error message.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human

these steps may help :

2. next time backup everything in /var/cache/apt. for now you can add those repositories (if other than default) from which you downloaded.

@all... this is what I have done.... I have backup-ed the complete apt folder. This is the reason I cant understand why installation fails.

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

This is what i m getting

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Well, restart your OS.

Alternatively you can do a ps -e and kill the process.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human

I just solve it.
On terminal I typed
sudo apt-get update

Took some seconds to update and solved... don't know whats actually happened but it solved :-D

utkarsh009

In the zone

@op: yup i already told you that. maybe you didn't pay attention to my words. anyways i am glad i was able to help.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human

I paied much attention to your second line. I reloaded info in synaptic package manager. I thaught it will do? anyway, can u tell me what this actually does, apt-get update. what apt-get is ?
next time backup everything in /var/cache/apt. for now you can add those repositories (if other than default) from which you downloaded.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

aptitude is the package manager, apt-get is same.

apt-get update updates the repository and fetch if any update is available on installed apps.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

No sorry, apt-get update just updates the repository, apt-get upgrade does the update :p

Silly mistake. :(

sygeek

Technomancer

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
Happens when a process is using apt-get in the background. In your case, it was the synaptic package manager, but it failed.

Either you can kill the process PID, the synaptic package manager in this case.
OR
Use this command:
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

To install a deb package use this command in the terminal:
sudo dpkg -a ~/package/path

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom