[SOLVED] How to remove stock SMS app in android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

I installed a custom ROM in my phone (Dell XCD28) however, I don't like its default messaging app, hence I installed GoSMS. Now, whenever I get a message, it receive two copies of the same message. I tried disabling notifications in the stock app, but it doesn't help. I therefore want to remove it for good, but I cannot do so from the settings>applications. Can anyone tell me an alternate method to do so?

Thanks,

noob

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I installed a custom ROM in my phone (Dell XCD28) however, I don't like its default messaging app, hence I installed GoSMS. Now, whenever I get a message, it receive two copies of the same message. I tried disabling notifications in the stock app, but it doesn't help. I therefore want to remove it for good, but I cannot do so from the settings>applications. Can anyone tell me an alternate method to do so?

Thanks,

See if there is option in Stock SMS app to disable notifications. Also i remember that GoSMS handles this and has option to configure same. Check SETTINGS area in both Apps.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
use titanium backup & delete the stock sms app. but do a nandroid backup first. if GoSMS is dependent on the default sms app, you'll not be able to send/receive sms.

once krow deleted the default calendar app and any app dependent on calendar stopped functioning. you may also try freezing the app.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Does GoSMS depend on the stock app?

Also, I double checked, notifications are disabled in the stock app and are enabled in GoSMS. Yet, I get two messages.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
use titanium backup & delete the stock sms app. but do a nandroid backup first. if GoSMS is dependent on the default sms app, you'll not be able to send/receive sms.

once krow deleted the default calendar app and any app dependent on calendar stopped functioning. you may also try freezing the app.
Correct. Thus OP should just freeze it with TB Pro ;)
Besides there should be some settings in Go SMS app to make it default or something, or I could be wrong...

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What do you meant by freezing the app? Will it cease to function? How do I go about this?

Krow

Crowman
Just checking, everytime you get a message, does your phone ring twice? Or is your problem that the same message is stored in both applications?

If it is the latter, then don't do anything. Just keep deleting messages periodically. Alternatively, in the stock messaging app you may set message limits in threads to 1 (I am not sure if this will affect GO SMS too).

If you hear two ringtones for each message, then proceed with freezing the stock messaging app. If not, do not do so.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Just checking, everytime you get a message, does your phone ring twice? Or is your problem that the same message is stored in both applications?

If it is the latter, then don't do anything. Just keep deleting messages periodically. Alternatively, in the stock messaging app you may set message limits in threads to 1 (I am not sure if this will affect GO SMS too).

If you hear two ringtones for each message, then proceed with freezing the stock messaging app. If not, do not do so.

It rings only once, I will try setting a limit in the stock app.

PS: I removed GoSMS and got Handcent instead. Will check if problem persists.

Krow

Crowman
Yes. The messages do get stored in both places. I think I misunderstood your problem earlier. :)

Problem will be there. Try setting limit in the stock app and see if it affects Handcent as well.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Update : The problem has been resolved with Handcent. I think it was a bug in GoSMS.

I did set a limit in the stock app though. The min number of messages is 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom