softwares for programming

bestpain

good advicer
i am having i5 laptop with 4 gb ram,win7 64 bit....i am currently a btech 1st yr cse student and i am studying c language ,data structure currently ....i want to know is there any compiler available for windows other than turbo c in which i can practice c language ,data structure .....or i am wishing to install linux(have been using linux for programming in college labs) but i dont know how to install two o.s in my laptop,and also which version of linux is better to download.
i also want to use some vpn but the vpn drivers are not installing due to 64 bit o.s,when i installed 32 bit then only 2.27 ram is usable .....is there any other way to install those drivers.

> First of all, that "software for programming" is called IDE.

> For compiler, you have the choice of GCC (through MinGW or CygWin) or visual studio C++ compiler. You can use Codeblocks or Eclipse IDE with gcc however, to use visual studio compiler you need to use Visual Studio.

> Google for "windows 7 ubuntu dual boot".

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Get Linux Mint or Ubuntu, and choose option for install. Make a partition with decent size before you install. Both flavour have a installation wizard like Windows XP and allows you to choose where to install.

ankush28

Bazinga
+1 for Code::blocks with GCC compiler (Full package including MinGW is available on their page)

I like Ubuntu, Mint is also good.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
.i want to know is there any compiler available for windows other than turbo c in which i can practice c language ,data structure
Google for tinyc compiler - small, light and easy to use , if you know how to use command line.

OP
bestpain

bestpain

good advicer
how is dev c++ ?
seriously guys i didnt understand whats MinGW or CygWin.....can u plz give me download link for the compiler
whats full form of ide?

icebags

Technomancer
install vmware in machine and install ubuntu / fedora in vmware.

and u wil have hell lot of options, use gcc for c programming, and terminal for shell.....

flyingcow

Shibe
IDE stands for Integrated development envoirnment
Ex-codeblocks or eclipse, blueJ
The application in which you are going to write your code is ide
I suggest you NOT go with using linux if you dont know much about linux, many will disagree with me, but im telling with my personal experience, im currently using ubuntu and installing codeblocks or even writing program(C++) in terminal is a PITA but if you know how to do it(as you mentioned, you use ubuntu inj your college) then go ahead :)

flyingcow

Shibe
i disagree for one, *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/30.gif
i really like linux and want to learn, but i dont think it will be suitable for op.
when i was installing code blocks i had to got through atleast 3-4 sites and still wasnt able to install it on ununtu, none of them had clear instructions for beginners, and same was the case for other softwares which i liked to install, every forum posts/threads(not tdf) was so confusing and didnt mention things clearly. I even tried doing it with terminal but that wasnt easy to, I had difficulty writing the program in terminal, weird letters were popping up backspc wasnt working and even after i wrote the program after many tries it didnt run, and i checked the code twice and even tried a program given in our textbook....
and hence i believe it would be easier if op could just isntall an ide on windows andstart writing code...

Even for the smallest things, i have to search the interwebz for 4-5 mins before finding a solution..
i do not want to discourage op from using linux, but im trying to warn him its very comlex for beginners like me...

If you want to build c applications and learn a lot about how system works, install a linux distro. You'll learn a LOT about how os works.

sharang.d

Youngling
Windows? Forget about dev -__- [Except .NET]

@OP
No knows how to install linux from birth. We all learn. Sure you will lose 1TB+ data at times :p while trying to multi boot but you WILL learn!
So take external backup and start from installing linux before going on to "development"

Last edited:

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
please if you are serious about your carrier please install a linux distro(preferably any debian based one) for your learning purpose.

the benefits is you will get to know operating system workings properly and if you will be working on any file system project/compiler design project then using linux will be better.

Another thing if possible use bootable install not VMs(you can use VMs when you are very much familiar [by 3rd yr end you should be] with linux operations)

please don't jump into any IDE in the beginning. At beginning use a text editor & command line.

Last edited:
OP
bestpain

bestpain

good advicer
IDE stands for Integrated development envoirnment
Ex-codeblocks or eclipse, blueJ
The application in which you are going to write your code is ide
I suggest you NOT go with using linux if you dont know much about linux, many will disagree with me, but im telling with my personal experience, im currently using ubuntu and installing codeblocks or even writing program(C++) in terminal is a PITA but if you know how to do it(as you mentioned, you use ubuntu inj your college) then go ahead :)

unbuntu has preinstalled compiler through terminal then whats the need of installing codeblocks?

i really like linux and want to learn, but i dont think it will be suitable for op.
when i was installing code blocks i had to got through atleast 3-4 sites and still wasnt able to install it on ununtu, none of them had clear instructions for beginners, and same was the case for other softwares which i liked to install, every forum posts/threads(not tdf) was so confusing and didnt mention things clearly. I even tried doing it with terminal but that wasnt easy to, I had difficulty writing the program in terminal, weird letters were popping up backspc wasnt working and even after i wrote the program after many tries it didnt run, and i checked the code twice and even tried a program given in our textbook....
and hence i believe it would be easier if op could just isntall an ide on windows andstart writing code...

Even for the smallest things, i have to search the interwebz for 4-5 mins before finding a solution..
i do not want to discourage op from using linux, but im trying to warn him its very comlex for beginners like me...

whats the differnce btwn linux and unbuntu?

Top Bottom