Software to check FPS while Gaming

ithehappy

Human Spambot
As the title says what softwares can I use to check how much FPS I am getting when playing a game? The easiest yet effective one's will get the preference as always.
Thanks in advance.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Works with any card. But it has some issues with ATI cards and driver issues. I still recommend using FRAPS though. easy peasy.

gameranand

Living to Play
Fraps. It has other features like capturing images and videos also so use it. Well free version only allows .bmp images and video up to 30sec but still better than anything else.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well I got that FRAPS stuff, but it only shows FPS while playing at the Top Left corner, but how will I see that after exiting the game? I mean if I wanna see average FPS, Min/Max etc, there is a .csv file but it only shows 363 frames but it stucks there!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Press the benchmark key while playing the game. it will generate a excel files with all the details you need. (By default the Benchmarking key is F11 or F12, i guess)

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yes I have pressed that key, otherwise it wouldn't have show me the FPS while gaming, anyway I just restarted my system and now there is another csv file added,(not Excel file) which now shows like this,
Frames- 4592, Time- 33775 ms, Min- 70, Max- 166, Avg- 135.959.
Now I have played for 2 hours, but it shows 33775 ms! Which means just 33 seconds !!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ It will take only few seconds to benchmark. Not till you finish the game..... :D

So those values are correct and IMO you don't need to record the FPS of whole session. Only a particular time frame is enough.

leo61611616

Journeyman
I have heard that running FRAPS in the background causes a dip of about 5 fps. Is that true ?

It shouldn't, if the sys config is above and more than the recommended one. Otherwise running any app in the background will cause slowdown if you don't have a well enough system.

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well I have found that how to record long time FPS. You just have to press the F11 key, it will blink Green and disappear, there won't be any digit counting on the game screen, now when you are done, just press the F11 key again, this time it will show the FPS and a Red Box Blinking. I've recorded FPS for more than 30 minutes now. Cool.

Top Bottom